Atv or Utv

m48goat

LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-13 AT 04:56PM (MST)[p]So this will be my first time purchasing a atv or utv (side x side), will be used for hunting and on occasion around the house if needed, but main purpose is hunting. The atv I was looking at is the Yamaha grizzly, or if idecided on the utv I was looking at the rzr and rhino. Those of you who have either one, any pros or cons? I don't hunt using quads, I walk and hike. But some areas I'm planning on hunting I need an atv or utv to get in to a certain point then hike farther in.
So my question to you guys who use them, what do you prefer or use and how is your atv or utv rigged up? If you have pictures of either with game on them please post. Thank you

Goat

I own a 08' 700 grizz. The pros, the suspension. Compared to the others I ride with, King Quad, Brute Force, Vinson, there is no comparison. The fuel injection is nice on cold days. The 4x4 selection button(and locking diff button) is the best on the market I believe.

The cons. The suspension. The grizz can FEEL a little tippy with the plush suspension and taller seat height. The power(I guess, the 700 is fine for me) is less than the Kawi, Polaris, Suzuki in its class.

Mine is the camo. I got it in 2010(it was brand new, just left over).

As for ATV or UTV, my grizz will be for sale soon. For me and my hunting buddy(7yr old) it was great. But my 2yr old twins will be wanting to come with soon so I have to go UTV.

Check out KSL, there are some new, last years models out there(Springville, Fairview) that will save you some cash. I got mine at Vescos, and loved doing buisness with them.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

Goat: Also consider the terrain you will be using that machine in and if size, tire clearance and tracking tight trails will be an issue.

Becareful using those UTV's with kids. Make sure you keep them seat belted in firmly just in case of roll overs. They have those roll bars which are nice but if your not "belted down" in unlevel terrain those roll bars are killers. I had a close friend "killed" a while back when he rolled his machine. He wasn't belted in so not thinking about the roll bar he tried to jump clear. The roll bar cut him in half...Now Dan E. is hunt'n from the clouds...So PLEASE
becareful everyone if you have a roll bar on your machines...

))))------->

I don't think size will be an issue but the terrain is mostly dirt and rock and on occasion snow. I like the idea of having a hunting partner with me rather then 2 quads also, but I don't have kids yet so that's not an issue either. But with a rhino I would need to buy a trailer as well and with a atv I can load it on my bed.

Any of you have pictures of your rhinos? With your hunting gear or a buck in the back

Don't know about other states, but here in Wy. there are a few trails where only ATVs are allowed. There is a width restriction, and UTV's are not narrow enough.

1216207.jpg

50" RZR with antelope buck in the back.

7456307.jpg

my nevada bull.....i have nothing but good to say about my rhino
nothing like hauling out a whole elk in one trip and just drive up on the trailer and go home

Delmag nice setup. I know your limited with space compared to a rhinos bed.. But how did the rzr handle all your stuff loaded? What about the ground clearance?

Treedagain nice setup as well. That's my other concern if I take my utv elk hunting I'd like to be able to haul it in the bed..have you had any problems with your rhino being too wide or too big for trails?How did it do with the elk in the back? Not much difference?

Buck lover, so If I went with the rzr since its 50" wide I would be able to go into some of those ATV trails if I happen to run across one?

I bought my Rhino in 2007, my 4 wheeler has been used only 5 times since then and only during ice fishing season. My Rhino has been my best investmenti have ever made. It will fit on any open trail I travel in Utah. I can fit all my gear plus other peoples, and whatever animal you harvest with no problems. Good choice.

I believe that the rzr has 10" of ground clearance vs. rhino at 12".

I will never be in a situation to put a whole bull in my rzr. Mine would easily handle a whole quartered bull/cape/horns. Note the structural roof/rack and added rear bar/rack.

I have utilized a Rhino many times as well. They would be my second choice. I just wanted to stay at 50" and have the ability to cover ground quickly if needed (64 mph) in the rzr.

The rhino is easier to get into/out of, and has a larger tilt bed. The top speed is governed too low IMO. In addition, if you have a belt break on a Rhino, it is not a quick fix like a rzr.

Oh and the rzr has a tilt steering column.

delmag that's some good info,I have been looking into utv and was looking into the rzr 900 4 seater but over $26,000 out the door and 64 inches wide that won't go on trails is not worth the money.

Thanks delmag for being helpful with all this information, I like that back rack you have. Was that custom made ? If you put a front rack as well then you will be set up! I knew those rzrs went fast but didn't know they went 60+.
The rzr is awd correct? Or how is the 4x4 on the rzr?

I like the fact that with a rhino I don't have to worry much about room and the size feels good and I like the rzr because you can take it in the 50" atv trails..and with some racks on it I can probably haul what I need.

By the way I have driven both, couple of my buddies use them.i honestly like both

>Treedagain nice setup as well. That's
>my other concern if I
>take my utv elk hunting
>I'd like to be able
>to haul it in the
>bed..have you had any problems
>with your rhino being too
>wide or too big for
>trails?How did it do with
>the elk in the back?
>Not much difference?

never had any problems with my rhino fitting on trails....no diff on handling with an elk in the back, i quartered this bull, but have put a couple that were just gutted and still had no problem, except a few jars on rock because the rear suspension was lower, i have also a front rack that i will use next time to mve a little weight forward

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

I agree the rhino is easier to get in and out of the seat, I have yet to see a trail marked where a rhino won't fit on in Utah. Rzr are fast a bit louder and more compact. But on the mountain driving with a buck or bull I would rather have it in the bed of my rhino so I can see the road I'm riding on. The roads are to rough where I'm huntin to be trying to look over an animal on my hood. Both are great machines I do like both, I do think the Rhino is plenty fast enough. The only thing I don't like is the rhino does lack power crawling up steep rocky nasty trails with a passenger and a loaded bed. It would be nice to have more power when it comes to that. Always carry a chainsaw with ya if u don't already, I learned that my first late season hunt. Good luck have fun.

Since I bought my Rhino, I haven't used my grizzly anymore.

The Rhino is stock width & fits in the back of my shortbed F250 with the tailgate down. I put 2x12's down in the bed under the wheels to keep weight off of the tailgate. Works quite well & I don't have to pull the trailer.

ASB, that was another concern of mine if the rhino would fit in my bed or if I'd need a trailer. I have an 09 f250 long bed. I never took width measurements. All my friends with rhinos just used a trailer. But if the width fit in your truck it should in mine

Hogg_65 was it sluggish going up steep nasty terrain or just lacking the power to get up with ease?

Thanks again guys for all your posts. Appreciate the help

Imo there is no difference in a razor and a big quad except the cost$$. Both will cary two people. Both will get an elk out. Both go fast. Both are wide enough to fit on a trail.

The razor is louder. More comfortable for second rider and probably more comfortable for driver.

I use a rihno all the time. Its great butt slow. I like how i can take more people in it. Look out safety police but we usually have 4 in it and were not wearing seatbelts or helmets but we are going slow. The rihno is loud in the cab. Its nice and will get the job done.

I also use a polaris sportsman. Its larger. 3 full grown guys can fit on the bench seat. Its ok for speed. Big and wide. Like driving a truck! Lacks power on the steep hills but i would not take this machine or the rihno where id take a 4 wheeler.

If i had to choose it would probably come down to money and use. I think id get more use out of a razor or wheeler.

Hogg_65 i have not seen the power issue with my rhino, not sure if you have a 450 or a older 660....but i will say the govener on hte high speed is my only complaint

1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

m48

It will fit in your truck just fine. Mine is a stock SE 700. You want the 700 efi if you choose Rhino. Mine fits between the fender wells.....if you get one with spacers, it would drive over the fender wells to fit. I use an aluminum tri-fold ramp to load it. It takes about a minute to load & tie off for me, but I have done it dozens of times now. It looks big back there, but the truck drives fine.

The 700 has plenty of power for me. I am using it for hunting, not looking to race it. Now, if I was out playing in the desert or dunes, a Rzr may be a better choice, but this thing has been awesome for me personally. Hope that helps.

Thanks ASB, I also plan on using it pretty much only for hunting

For price range, there both in my range

Can most of you take your side x side where u would take your atv? In regards to nasty terrain if width wasn't an issue or do you see an atv as being able to handle and off road better? I don't know if that makes sense

Treedagain just out of curiosity how fast have you gone in your rhino before the governor kicked in? Or how fast can a rhino go compared to a rzr which from what you guys posted can go 60+

well...about 48-50 when i got it on flat ground and it wanted to go higher....but i had a tune up about a year after i got it and they (the dealer) took it upon themselves to install the wheel spacers now it only will top out at 42, they say they never touched my speed control..BS..lol... my son in-laws both will top out around 50

1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

You cant get a utv where you can get an atv. The atv is simply more mobile, lighter, and power to weight ratio is better.

who farted?

I've had a Rhino since 2005 and love it. The pro's are cargo space and passenger room. The only con is it has a higher center of gravity than an ATV so you have to watch the degree of slope when sidehilling. It's narrow enough that it will run on an ATV trail and that's why I went with the Rhino. I have yet to find a trail too rough for it. There have been times when my wife made me stop so she could walk around an obstacle because she thought it was too hairball. there have also been a few times when I had her get out and hang on the roll cage like a sailor to negotiate a steep angle. I have laid it on it's side twice. Once when I tried a steep sidehill and the soft ground gave way on the down hill side and once when I was on a steep, rough uphill, came around a tight corner and there was a big laydown across the trail. I had to stop fast and when I tried to back down a little, the rear wheel dropped into a rut and I slo-mo'ed over. In both instances, I righted it by myself and continued on. I put a plastic cargo box in the dump bed to stow rain gear, jackets and packs so we are dry and dust free when we hit the trail in the morning. It's also nice to put an entire boned out elk in the back and make it out in one trip. There may be something better than a Rhino but I can't imagine how.

I have a 50 inch razor. If you ride in southern utah you will run into those trails. There are also a few up around strawberry resevoir. My razor rubs both sides of them gates getting through so no way will you get a rhino through there. I personally would not waste my money on anything other than a razor. The extra space on rhino's and rangers are nice but the power is not there. My buddy has a rhino with tons done to it to try to give it more power and when loaded down that things top speed is like 20 mph with no torque at all. Even unloaded they are to gutless for me. I have fit multiple quartered elk and antlers in my razor and rode down off the mountain. If you are using it mainly for hunting I also don't see any reason to buy the 900. That is a machine for the sand dunes. You can't go wrong with the razor. Just my opinion though

LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-13 AT 07:08PM (MST)[p]You need to contact the state and find the most current law. Wy. used to have a law on some trails making side by sides illegal. I was told the Razors meet the width standard, but the laws keep changing. Even if you have licensed your ATV or UTV, you still need to buy the off road stickers in Wy. And there are some places that the Forest Service claims you can't ride either or on two tracks or the main dirt roads, even if they are legally licensed. I'm talking about south of Mtn. View, along the Wy/Ut border. I wish I had enough money to fight that one. If it's legal to drive in town, it should be legal to drive on any road.

Did I see someone say a 4 seat utv-atv, whatever, was $26,000? What an unbelievable waste of money. mtmuley

It does floor me what these toys cost! I've never spent anything close to $20,000 for my main ride, but if you have it to spend, why not? I have picked up a couple of older used four wheelers the last couple of years so I could park on the main highways and save wear and tear on the truck going back on some of those beat up logging roads. Would've have defeated the purpose if they were worth more than my old pickup...

go with atv, lots easier to maneuver through the trees when you go brush beating! all joking aside, utv has more room. really depends on what you are using it for. atv more maneuverable and if you get stuck yhou can lift them out( if you get size one) utv or big atv need winch. utv more roomy for second person, and has a bed for packing more stuff.

m48goat,

The rear rack is from a retailer, the roof I fabricated myself. I will be fabricating a new one piece rear and front rack. I paid $11000 total for mine last summer brand new, BTW.

I have a 2011 Rzr 4 with Power Steering. Best thing I have ever bought! I love it...

My whole family can go in it, when we go on fishing trips on the boulder it carries float tubes, all gear, coolers and two guys and can get anywhere I need. Yea, they cost a bit...but TOTALLY worth it!

We have polaris rangers, and I would highly recommend one. It has a bench seat up front, which will allow you to ride 3 across the bench. We put a jeep seat in the back of one, and we can carry 5 guys in it, all buckled up! They are great, and can haul a lot of stuff, and can go anywhere. I would not want a bucket seat up front, since you are limited to the two seats and wasted space. Here are some pics of what we have.

2013012795164350_zps2b07ff48.jpg

IMG00163-20110123-1729_zps6df9bd30.jpg

IMG00237-20111005-12211_zpsd3c45856.jpg

IMG-20120907-000781_zps90fe048c.jpg

DSC00815_zpsa657547e.jpg

BTW, the ranger with my kids on it, I picked that up for $3,600 last year, with 400 hours on it. We have used the hell out of it, and have only needed to replace the fuel pump and tires. There are some great deals on craislist and the like if you are patient... Good luck!

Chevydog, I like that picture with all those greenies on the bed of the ranger!!
Is the ranger the same size as a rhino? Or a bit wider

I thought about the utv option because I have young kids and could haul them all at the same time. However, I have a yamaha kodiak and love the distance I can go on a tank of gas, plenty of power and can fit down all those trails that a utv cannot. I elk hunted the fish lake last year and noticed they have the "50" inch restriction on their designated trails. I didn't see one utv on those trails. I can see the benefits of a utv, but the atv is the best option for me and my style of hunting right now. Don't like being limited to certain trails because of size restrictions.

Chev, I am pretty sure this is the route I am going to go so we can get mamma and the 3 munchkins in. Does the ranger feel tippy with the bench? How are they to maintain?

>Thanks. I believe it is
>a bit wider.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

Go with a RZR and you get the best of both worlds. You can fit down the 50" trails and still have the comfort of a UTV. You won't loose much if any maneuverability at all. You have taken the standard RZR's up some pretty mean trails. We have 4 wheelers, RZR, and a Kawasaki Teryx. All are great and have their place. If I had to choose just one it would be a RZR no doubt. Sorry, no pics of them all loaded up.

I like the UTV's but the cost is ridiculous! I was trying to decide which one to get, then I came to the conclusion that I'm better off buying a Jeep! Heat, A/C, radio, street legal. I bought a 2000 Jeep Wrangler with 60K miles on it for $5,000. There are pro's and con's with all of them, the Jeep just seemed to suit the bill a little better for me anyway.

>Chev, I am pretty sure this
>is the route I am
>going to go so we
>can get mamma and the
>3 munchkins in. Does
>the ranger feel tippy with
>the bench? How are
>they to maintain?
>
>
>>Thanks. I believe it is
>>a bit wider.
>
>
>"The only thing that stops a
>bad guy with a gun
>is a good guy with
>a gun"

They do not feel tippy at all. It is great for a family. In fact, I can fit me, my wife, and those two little kids across that bench. Makes for a lot of family fun! Good Luck!

Legacy, funny you mention the jeep thing, I was in this same situation last year and ended up buying an 05 tj and hunted with it

Treedagain, nice bucks! And depending on the prices I get for a new utv or atv is what I'll decide to get. I realize the benefits of both and I can see using either or a lot. I just need to decide. I just like with a utv I can have someone else with me, for example my father. That's why I really think about going the utv route. And try to spend more time in the mountains with him and I figure it would be more comfortable for him

Goat

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom