atv vs utv

I Know it might happen on a Small Scale!

But in reality!

How many Big Bucks have been taken While Hunting off a UTV/ATV?

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

for the life of me i don't get the utv, they are big, noisy, expensive ,vibrate like heck and suck gas, there was one in camp last year, it was getting 10 miles to the gallon, it was burning 5 gallons of gas a day, i have a 400 king quad atv
, burning about 1 gallon a day , plus we ride double on the quad, we don't hunt off it, its just a tool to get us there fast and efficient and save my truck, if you want something as big as a jeep, buy a jeep and haul the whole camp around, for less money just my 2 cents

I used to be anti utv guy. Until I tried out the new kawasaki teryx. This machine is awesome i look at it as not beating the crap out of my truck as much. It is alot quiter then the rzrs are.especially with the stealth exhaust it's actually less decibels then my honda foreman. I have my spotting scope mount hooked up to it. with 10 x more the capability to carry hunting gear then my atv. Gun mounts enclosed cab winch and a locker this thing goes anywhere. And gets good fuel mileage.and great for packing kids and my bird dog around I will never go back to polaris or any other atv

My truck and atv both sit at camp since purchasing so my vote is utv

You get in it turn the ignition drive to a deep nasty canyon turn the ignition off and go walking outside of the atv/utv I think

> I Know it might happen
>on a Small Scale!
>
>But in reality!
>
>How many Big Bucks have been
>taken While Hunting off a
>UTV/ATV?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA
>SEE
>THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
>[/font]
>
>
The Burris buck was shot using a jeep.

>> I Know it might happen
>>on a Small Scale!
>>
>>But in reality!
>>
>>How many Big Bucks have been
>>taken While Hunting off a
>>UTV/ATV?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA
>>SEE
>>THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
>>[/font]
>>
>>
>
> The Burris buck was
>shot using a jeep.

Out the Jeep Window?

THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

Of course you do. Then, after you need to recover game,you drive the sonofabitch off-road to retrieve it. Right? mtmuley

So back on the subject, either one saves a lot of wear and tear on a truck. Especially since trucks are now built like a beer can.

A side by side with 18 " of wheel travel and street legal. It's a great way to get around on rough mountain roads. Getting to look out spots you can travel quicker and in more comfort then a truck or atv. A full roll cage and a seat belt is also a plus. I get over a hundred miles on a tank of fuel. When you get to a road when out in field. You can take the hwy back.

#3. Italian high altitude helicopter.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

You can hunt hard or you can hunt smart. I prefer smart. All the nobles act as though they would pass a 230 non typ if they were in a truck or quad. WTF do you think is buying your BS?
Nope Chuck, can't shoot that one, we is still in de truck. Need to hike 80 miles to find the next 160 non typ.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

1911 thats the truth as i see it....haters always hate. I prefer to save my truck a beating. I would love to see a few of these atv/utv haters try that approach on a desert sheep hunt. A whole lot of crap roads and long walks to just get to hunt. The other way i look at it if i have a atv in the back of my truck and i break down i have a way not to be stranded in the middle of nowhere.

DPB-

Let's see some photos of your Teryx and the hunter-related extras that you have added to it. I have a 2016 Teryx 4 and have been debating how to spice it up.

-Hawkeye-

I have an ATV and a Jeep.

A UTV just seemed like a poor compromise - in both directions. Just my 2 cents.

If I could only have one, I would choose ATV, and use it in combination with my truck.

Love my RZR, Benz silencer, heater, side curtains, and completely enclosed if I want it to be. Depending on the driving I get 24 miles to the gallon on the faster roads. We were in Kanab on all of the hunting stomps last week. We saw a total of five deer in the days we were down there. The interesting thing about it was we were alone and every time we would back track there would be deer tracks over our tracks. I really think deer are less afraid of a truck than a ATV or SUV.

For you young dudes, get off your machine, and hunt smarter not harder. To many of hunters think if they cover ground and keep their eyes open that is enough - it "ain't". In the old days road hunting was a way of life for some and a lot of big bucks were shot from vehicles, but not today. There is just to much traffic on the back roads almost year around. ATV Jamborees, senior groups, utv's, atv's bikes, jeepers, riding all of the trails. If you go out on Utah high trails in May to the snow level, more likely than not, you will have company and some of that company may be from Michigan or some other eastern state. The one day we unloaded by the Sands in Kanab there were more out-of-state plates then in-state plates.

The hills are no longer just for Ranchers and Hunters. On the opening day of the deer hunt, move aside so my caravan can pass. :)

To set the story straight, stock Terx's are noisier than are stock RZR's. Just ask a dealer who sells both. Had a friend who had a Terx and had to wear earplugs all of the time he was in his machine.

Our ATV's get 35 MPG as compared to our RZR at 24 MPG. The ATV's just sit until the kids and grandkids ride them.

Just thought a little clarification was needed.

I use a couple old Honda ATVs mostly because they work, I can brave the weather and I'm too cheap to spend more money on a different toy that does nothing any better when I could spend that same money on another hunt.
Zeke

Decibels from the exhaust are alot more quite on my teryx then the rzr was. My rzr 900 sounded like a snowmobile going down the trail. Fuel mileage isn't even close when comparing the two. Rzr seams more like a sand dune rig more then anything

To each their own but those looking into a utv I definitely would look into the new teryx 3 year warranty and is an absolute beast in the back country

I ride single on a 1958 model B Tote Gote, and Littlebuck rides a 1962 Tote Gote takeoff called a Blazer. Hers has 2 speeds,and can go about 24 mph in high. Mine is low geared and only goes 10 mph. But will climb a tree if I can hold on. Btw, my Dad bought the Blazer new in 1962, it on its second rebuild now and third motor. We have hauled Deer out many times and Elk quarters. Used to be a hobby of mine finding and restoring them. We have 5 total and our kids and grandkids use them also ill try to get some pics later.

Here in California it has to be street legal to ride on most Forest Service roads. There are special trails designated off road vehicle use but not that many and they are usually not in good hunting areas. So, a street legal utv would be best.

Some day I hope to get a Yamaha TW 200 (street legal) to ride the roads, but for now it's my truck or walk.

I just bought my new truck, a 2004 cummings. Still paid $26k. My work truck is a 02 chev. Point is, I can beat the shiz out of 2 1/2 utv for what I paid for the "new" truck. I currently have a Yamaha Viking. I can sit me and my 2 boys and get up and down the road. It also fits(barely) in my trailer. A jeep doesn't. Like 99% of you my hunting rigs are also my camping rigs, and family rigs, and fishing rigs. I am in no mood to beat a truck up, because I see what the new diesels cost, and that won't be happening any time soon. A Yamaha rhino is pretty damn hard to beat for toughness, cargo, reliability. And you can pick up some 660 for pretty good price. Lastly I doubt there is a deer on the mtn. who hasn't heard a motor, so that discussion is stupid. Yeah we ride to the walking spots, but lets be real, so does everyone else, either truck or utv or atv.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

ATV's are great if you only need to haul on person, and very little gear, and if the weather is good. Once you add a 2nd person, some extra packs, another gun, food etc the UTV is much much better. Aslo much more comfortable in bad or cold weather. Just having a roof and a low windshield helps a TON. I've done both, and would not ever want to go back to an ATV.

2a0fcsk.gif

>Honda Pioneers put everything else to
>shame enough said!
>
hornkiller.jpg

The pioneer is a nice bike I contimplated going with it due to Hondas name.

But the fox shocks suspension, full doors no nets,factory roof,grill guard and 3 year full warranty changed my mind.

I still like my 4 wheeler but packing the kids wife spotting scope guns backpacks coolers backpacking tents bird dog chainsaws bows tree stands etc it is alot easier with the side by side.

Nobody addressed the retrieval thing. I guess all the pics I see of these damn things with not a road in sight must be taken with the road in the background. Thank God they aren't allowed off main roads in Montana, although that does not stop some of the "I never do that" users. mtmuley

>Honda Pioneers put everything else to
>shame enough said!
>
hornkiller.jpg

I'm trying to sell my rzr to buy a 1000 pioneer.

>Nobody addressed the retrieval thing. I
>guess all the pics I
>see of these damn things
>with not a road in
>sight must be taken with
>the road in the background.
>Thank God they aren't allowed
>off main roads in Montana,
>although that does not stop
>some of the "I never
>do that" users. mtmuley

I think the reason nobody addressed the retrieval thing was because the post was more or less about which machine was more useful in the opinion of others to take hunting.

LAST EDITED ON May-03-16 AT 11:05PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-03-16 AT 11:04?PM (MST)

With full doors , windshield and upper Windows. This thing does great. A year round machine. With a set of tracks it goes in with the snowmobiles. With tires its street legal to go get a burger while hunting. Great wheel travel so it has a great ride and does 80 miles a Hour.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos3/5723image.jpeg

Had a Polaris 2 Up for me and the wife. Switched to a UTV mainly for her comfort.
BTW: We have both drawn Henry's management tags recently. I hiked 5 miles and shot a 30" 3x4 down a 1000' hell hole. My wife has some physical limitations so she stepped out of the UTV and make a nice 75 yard shot on a comparable deer.
I don't know who was more excited about their experience.

>LAST EDITED ON May-03-16
>AT 11:05?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON May-03-16
>AT 11:04?PM (MST)

>
>With full doors , windshield and
>upper Windows. This thing does
>great. A year round machine.
>With a set of tracks
>it goes in with the
>snowmobiles. With tires its street
>legal to go get a
>burger while hunting. Great wheel
>travel so it has a
>great ride and does 80
>miles a Hour.
>http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos3/5723image.jpeg

It'll Actually go Faster than that!

When He's Got it behind His Stroker!:D

THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

>>LAST EDITED ON May-03-16
>>AT 11:05?PM (MST)

>>
>>LAST EDITED ON May-03-16
>>AT 11:04?PM (MST)

>>
>>With full doors , windshield and
>>upper Windows. This thing does
>>great. A year round machine.
>>With a set of tracks
>>it goes in with the
>>snowmobiles. With tires its street
>>legal to go get a
>>burger while hunting. Great wheel
>>travel so it has a
>>great ride and does 80
>>miles a Hour.
>>http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos3/5723image.jpeg
>
>It'll Actually go Faster than that!
>
>
>When He's Got it behind His
>Stroker!:D
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA
>SEE
>THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
>[/font]
>
>

I'd rather have a sister in a whore house than a brother who quotes a Luke Bryan song!!!

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

>>>LAST EDITED ON May-03-16
>>>AT 11:05?PM (MST)

>>>
>>>LAST EDITED ON May-03-16
>>>AT 11:04?PM (MST)

>>>
>>>With full doors , windshield and
>>>upper Windows. This thing does
>>>great. A year round machine.
>>>With a set of tracks
>>>it goes in with the
>>>snowmobiles. With tires its street
>>>legal to go get a
>>>burger while hunting. Great wheel
>>>travel so it has a
>>>great ride and does 80
>>>miles a Hour.
>>>http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos3/5723image.jpeg
>>
>>It'll Actually go Faster than that!
>>
>>
>>When He's Got it behind His
>>Stroker!:D
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA
>>SEE
>>THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
>>[/font]
>>
>>
>
>
>I'd rather have a sister in
>a whore house than a
>brother who quotes a Luke
>Bryan song!!!
>
>
>"The only thing that stops a
>bad guy with a gun
>is a good guy with
>a gun"

I guess I will have to listen for that song !

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom