Austed Vs. Farrar

huntinguy

First of all let me say that I don't think either Denny or Will deserve any sort of negativity against how they choose to hunt or shoot animals as many suggest. This post is to merely ask why does Denny Austed get all dragged through the mud year after year for his decision to buy high dollar big game tags yet Will and Heather Farrar get no grief?

Is there something more to the story? Anyone that went to the expo saw Will hanging in Doyle's area and he's obviously purchased dozens of tags and utilized Doyle's services just like Denny, but doesn't get any grief like Denny- why is this?

Again I wont fault anyone for how they choose to spend their time or money as long as both activities are legal or otherwise. To each his own. I simply wanted to post this up after seeing many negative posts/replys about Denny Austed.

I dont know much about either one of them but maybe its Farrar includes his wife and is more of a hunter than a shooter.Either way they Both obviously love the look of those big antlers. As Moss does also. Cant blame them for that!

I thinking Denny has gotten more grief about the Antelope Island tag. So I think its more about where,then who and how much was spent on the tags. More power to them ,getting to enjoy what they want to do and having the money to do it.

If anndwhen you watch the new Mossback video, you'll see a huge difference in personalities. Will is passionate aabout hunting, and can hunt on his own.

Yelum

Theres logic, and theres women. They don't go together.

>If anndwhen you watch the new
>Mossback video, you'll see a
>huge difference in personalities.
>Will is passionate aabout hunting,
>and can hunt on his
>own.
>
>Yelum
>
>Theres logic, and theres women. They
>don't go together.

With me personally, the issue has virtually nothing to do with the hunts themselves. We all have our own view of how we do it and I've gotten grief for baiting waterholes and shooting from a treestand and for road hunting at times, but my age and health no longer allow me to chase animals all over the mountains and plains, even though I've never done much of that anyway.

My issue is with the aftermath of the hunts on two fronts. One is the general public's image of hunters and hunting. We're not the only ones shaking our heads. The publicity attached to these hunts is having a negative effect with many people. The second issue is much more subtle and damaging (IMO) to the sport. It's the influence these hunts have on the rules and regulations regarding hunting per the RAC's and Wildlife Board. I often hear the leaders of SFW, MDF, RMEF and others start their proposals with a reminder to the RAC and Board members of their recent accomplishments, usually having to do with money. Are they bragging or threatening? I don't know, but I do know their opinions carry much more weight than mine to the extent that I was told by a RAC member after a meeting that "Someone has to be the devil's advocate and it might as well be you." meaning that my proposal was not only wrong, it was evil. As a consequence of this attitude, many good proposals aren't even considered and that's a shame. Money and publicity are more important than biology.

>>If anndwhen you watch the new
>>Mossback video, you'll see a
>>huge difference in personalities.
>>Will is passionate aabout hunting,
>>and can hunt on his
>>own.
>>
>>Yelum
>>
>>Theres logic, and theres women. They
>>don't go together.
>
>With me personally, the issue has
>virtually nothing to do with
>the hunts themselves. We all
>have our own view of
>how we do it and
>I've gotten grief for baiting
>waterholes and shooting from a
>treestand and for road hunting
>at times, but my age
>and health no longer allow
>me to chase animals all
>over the mountains and plains,
>even though I've never done
>much of that anyway.
>
>My issue is with the aftermath
>of the hunts on two
>fronts. One is the general
>public's image of hunters and
>hunting. We're not the only
>ones shaking our heads. The
>publicity attached to these hunts
>is having a negative effect
>with many people. The second
>issue is much more subtle
>and damaging (IMO) to the
>sport. It's the influence these
>hunts have on the rules
>and regulations regarding hunting per
>the RAC's and Wildlife Board.
>I often hear the
>leaders of SFW, MDF, RMEF
>and others start their proposals
>with a reminder to the
>RAC and Board members of
>their recent accomplishments, usually having
>to do with money. Are
>they bragging or threatening? I
>don't know, but I do
>know their opinions carry much
>more weight than mine to
>the extent that I was
>told by a RAC member
>after a meeting that "Someone
>has to be the devil's
>advocate and it might as
>well be you." meaning that
>my proposal was not only
>wrong, it was evil. As
>a consequence of this attitude,
>many good proposals aren't even
>considered and that's a shame.
>Money and publicity are more
>important than biology.

well said!

I think I speak for a large amount of us.. that if Denny would go out and harvest the animals he does by himself and bust his OWN ass scouting to locate these animals like most of us do. We would have the utmost respect for him. Sure, what he does is totally legal but it does not appease or impress any of us who are true hunters and from what I can tell the only ones that will stand up for him are the ones hes wrote a check for. For me, and most of us out there half the fun of hunting is the blood sweat and tears that goes into the hunt long before it begins. The scouting, the preparation, the research etc, etc.. I personally would be ashamed if I looked up on my wall and knew that every record book animal up there is only there on account of pulling a trigger on my part. Call me jealous.. because there is not an ounce of me that is jealous of the man. Call me a hater... maybe i am, because I feel all Denny represents is high dollar killing not hunting. He poorly represents what we as TRUE hunters strive to be. I honestly cannot back/support a man whom goes against my ideas and beliefs as to what the sport of hunting is in its purest form. Buying my way into the record books is not and never will be my thing.

Coloradoboy

I expect a lot of us don't have issues with either of them. If I had the money to blow on tags and hunts like that, I'd do a lot more hunting, but can't imagine hiring guides much, except maybe as required for a given species and area. As stated by others, the do it yourself part is what adds to the reward at the end.

Haters will hate!!
PLEASE tell me none of you guys wouldn't do the same if you were made of money and could hunt the biggest game animals in North America.
Don't think that Denny isn't passionate about hunting just because some video or picture doesn't quite captue his emotions it's stupid to even think that.
Public grief has always been around, the internet just magnifies an issue that's never going away compounded by the whole gun issues and school shootings.
Denny doesn't hunt these animals to get respect from anybody here or anywhere, he doesn't do it so that he can come abroad the forums everywhere and brag about.
If you want to go out and hike 10 miles to harvest an animal and then bragg about how great and satisfying the hunt was and how great of a hunter you are, then good for you.
But you know what... Denny became a success in life and made millions, he chose to expend his money to help conservation in the field that he loves. I'm envious of how he put his life together and became so successful that he can afford to spend his money on whatever he feels will gratify his endeavors.
Anybody with lots of money will spend it on whatever they love, be it cars, traveling, women, jewelry ect..
What the hell is true hunting in your words anyway ColoradoBoy??
Long range ballistics, high powered guns, high powered binos, GPS, give me a break. The only true hunters may very well have been the Native Americans of old.
In my opinion (and everbody has their own), I think people need to wipe the jelousy and hatred off their faces and realize the true enemies of our privileged sport.
Nuff Said

Same old baloney from a bunch that's only argument is that people like Coloradoboy or myself are jealous of these high roller "Gimme Shoots", that don't even last a day, LOL! If these guys like Denny Austad are such great conservationists, why don't they just write a check to a group for habitat improvement or some other worthwhile wildlife cause and put it on their taxes as a charitable donation wherever they can? "True" hunting probably means something a little different to each of us, but how anyone can remotely say going on that AI shoot for any animal is a hunt is probably beyond the comprehension of the majority of hunters like Coloradoboy and others with a similar philoosophy of what hunting is all about. Call that AI debacle a turkey shoot because that's about all it is! Yep, it's legal, but far from what most would relate to a true fulfilling hunting experience! If I had a million dollars to blow and as passionate a hunter as I am, I would not even think about buying my way to one of those type of tags, but I'd sure take some trips like the real hunts that Jim Shockey goes on.

>>>If anndwhen you watch the new
>>>Mossback video, you'll see a
>>>huge difference in personalities.
>>>Will is passionate aabout hunting,
>>>and can hunt on his
>>>own.
>>>
>>>Yelum
>>>
>>>Theres logic, and theres women. They
>>>don't go together.
>>
>>With me personally, the issue has
>>virtually nothing to do with
>>the hunts themselves. We all
>>have our own view of
>>how we do it and
>>I've gotten grief for baiting
>>waterholes and shooting from a
>>treestand and for road hunting
>>at times, but my age
>>and health no longer allow
>>me to chase animals all
>>over the mountains and plains,
>>even though I've never done
>>much of that anyway.
>>
>>My issue is with the aftermath
>>of the hunts on two
>>fronts. One is the general
>>public's image of hunters and
>>hunting. We're not the only
>>ones shaking our heads. The
>>publicity attached to these hunts
>>is having a negative effect
>>with many people. The second
>>issue is much more subtle
>>and damaging (IMO) to the
>>sport. It's the influence these
>>hunts have on the rules
>>and regulations regarding hunting per
>>the RAC's and Wildlife Board.
>>I often hear the
>>leaders of SFW, MDF, RMEF
>>and others start their proposals
>>with a reminder to the
>>RAC and Board members of
>>their recent accomplishments, usually having
>>to do with money. Are
>>they bragging or threatening? I
>>don't know, but I do
>>know their opinions carry much
>>more weight than mine to
>>the extent that I was
>>told by a RAC member
>>after a meeting that "Someone
>>has to be the devil's
>>advocate and it might as
>>well be you." meaning that
>>my proposal was not only
>>wrong, it was evil. As
>>a consequence of this attitude,
>>many good proposals aren't even
>>considered and that's a shame.
>>Money and publicity are more
>>important than biology.
>
>well said!

***+1000

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-14 AT 03:14PM (MST)[p]Coloradoboy, TOPGUN, I heard what you're saying and agree with a lot of it. But nobody, and I mean NOBODY hunts the same. A grampa who sits in the truck with a rifle and tag, watching a meadow is hunting. No effort, but hunting. Think he cares? I doubt it. Think his family cares? I doubt it. A guy with a tag and a rifle drive the dirt roads. Actually hundreds of them do. Its hunting. This is straight from the DWR guide book.

Any legal weapon (rifle) hunts
Hunt # Hunt name Unit # Season dates
1002 Antelope Island 1 Nov. 12?Nov. 19

It states that the AI hunt is in fact a hunt, with a hunt number and all. Its not mine, or your kind of hunt, but it is a hunt. And Denny is one of the 4-10 hunters that will take a gun there and kill an animal. And several thousand hunters will put in for that hunt.

You target Denny because Doyle puts a name and a face to the hunter. If its not hate or jealousy, then I challenge you to NOT make another post on any of these forums until you have researched them all, including archives, and found where anyone, critisizes an old man with a tag and a gun, sitting in his truck.

Yelum

Theres logic, and theres women. They don't go together.

I like the part where people on an internet forum start talking about "respect". Its like whores talking about standards.

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-14
>AT 03:14?PM (MST)

>
>Coloradoboy, TOPGUN, I heard what you're
>saying and agree with a
>lot of it. But
>nobody, and I mean NOBODY
>hunts the same. A
>grampa who sits in the
>truck with a rifle and
>tag, watching a meadow is
>hunting. No effort, but
>hunting. Think he cares?
> I doubt it.
>Think his family cares?
>I doubt it. A
>guy with a tag and
>a rifle drive the dirt
>roads. Actually hundreds of
>them do. Its hunting.
> This is straight from
>the DWR guide book.
>
>Any legal weapon (rifle) hunts
>Hunt # Hunt name
>
> Unit #
>Season dates
>1002 Antelope Island
> 1
> Nov.
>12?Nov. 19
>
>It states that the AI hunt
>is in fact a hunt,
>with a hunt number and
>all. Its not mine,
>or your kind of hunt,
>but it is a hunt.
> And Denny is one
>of the 4-10 hunters that
>will take a gun there
>and kill an animal.
>And several thousand hunters will
>put in for that hunt.
>
>
>You target Denny because Doyle puts
>a name and a face
>to the hunter. If
>its not hate or jealousy,
>then I challenge you to
>NOT make another post on
>any of these forums until
>you have researched them all,
>including archives, and found where
>anyone, critisizes an old man
>with a tag and a
>gun, sitting in his truck.
>
>
>Yelum
>
>Theres logic, and theres women. They
>don't go together.

This seems to be a cant win argument. Hunting regulation rule book states that anyone who pursues game in the field is a hunter. Even if the person doesn't do it "your way", he is still
hunting his way. We all have the desire to pursue game in common. Why are you hating on someone who does not have the
ability to climb to the top of the mountain or drag his deer out of the bottom of a hell hole anymore? Is it the need to feel superior? We make ourselves our own worst enemy. Peta people would say that *none* of us our hunters. We are all murderers
and killers of "innocent" animals not to be respected one bit.
The same way many here proclaim to not respect Mr. Austed one
bit because he goes on guided hunts. I have a simple question for
Coloradoboy because I know he guides. When you take a paying client out hunting. Do you say we are going shooting? When you are talking about your client, do you refer to him as your hunter or do you refer to him as your shooter.

Maybe you all are making assumptions. Maybe Denny himself doesn't call what he does on AI a "hunt".

Maybe he looks at it like spending money to add to his collection. Other than the photos, I don't think I've ever heard a word he's said, or read a word he's written.

Eel

>>LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-14
>>AT 03:14?PM (MST)

>>
>>Coloradoboy, TOPGUN, I heard what you're
>>saying and agree with a
>>lot of it. But
>>nobody, and I mean NOBODY
>>hunts the same. A
>>grampa who sits in the
>>truck with a rifle and
>>tag, watching a meadow is
>>hunting. No effort, but
>>hunting. Think he cares?
>> I doubt it.
>>Think his family cares?
>>I doubt it. A
>>guy with a tag and
>>a rifle drive the dirt
>>roads. Actually hundreds of
>>them do. Its hunting.
>> This is straight from
>>the DWR guide book.
>>
>>Any legal weapon (rifle) hunts
>>Hunt # Hunt name
>>
>> Unit #
>>Season dates
>>1002 Antelope Island
>> 1
>> Nov.
>>12?Nov. 19
>>
>>It states that the AI hunt
>>is in fact a hunt,
>>with a hunt number and
>>all. Its not mine,
>>or your kind of hunt,
>>but it is a hunt.
>> And Denny is one
>>of the 4-10 hunters that
>>will take a gun there
>>and kill an animal.
>>And several thousand hunters will
>>put in for that hunt.
>>
>>
>>You target Denny because Doyle puts
>>a name and a face
>>to the hunter. If
>>its not hate or jealousy,
>>then I challenge you to
>>NOT make another post on
>>any of these forums until
>>you have researched them all,
>>including archives, and found where
>>anyone, critisizes an old man
>>with a tag and a
>>gun, sitting in his truck.
>>
>>
>>Yelum
>>
>>Theres logic, and theres women. They
>>don't go together.
>
>This seems to be a cant
>win argument. Hunting regulation
>rule book states that anyone
>who pursues game in the
>field is a hunter. Even
>if the person doesn't do
>it "your way", he is
>still
>hunting his way. We all
>have the desire to pursue
>game in common. Why
>are you hating on someone
>who does not have the
>
>ability to climb to the top
>of the mountain or drag
>his deer out of the
>bottom of a hell hole
>anymore? Is it the need
>to feel superior? We make
>ourselves our own worst enemy.
>Peta people would say that
>*none* of us our hunters.
>We are all murderers
>and killers of "innocent" animals not
>to be respected one bit.
>
>The same way many here proclaim
>to not respect Mr. Austed
>one
>bit because he goes on guided
>hunts. I have a simple
>question for
>Coloradoboy because I know he guides.
> When you take a
>paying client out hunting. Do
>you say we are going
>shooting? When you are
>talking about your client, do
>you refer to him as
>your hunter or do you
>refer to him as your
>shooter.

Im not sure what you're getting at with your question but here's your answer...

I refer to my clients as HUNTERS and we go HUNTING. The way I guide/hunt and the clients I guide are night and day different that Denny Austad, Will Farrar, and Doyle and Company. For instance; most every hunt i guide starts off with a 6-8 mile horseback ride just to reach basecamp, every hunt i guide is 1 on 1 or a 2 on 1, (2 hunters to one guide) All my hunts take place on wilderness or national forest land, all my clients tags were acquired by either drawing them or purchasing them over the counter, average success/opportunity rate ranges from 55%a to 70% depending on the season, and a guided hunt costs $4000.
I'll let you make the call if you find what my clients/HUNTERS and myself as guide do is different or similar to that of Denny and Doyle and company.

Coloradoboy

Just another thought. As one auction tag buyer once said, "better to spend the $$ on a tag than giving it to Obama".

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-14 AT 11:27PM (MST)[p]No question Denny and others that buy high dollar auction tags get those hunts differently than most of us but saying they're not true hunters because they don't do it themselves, then immediately talk about guiding your own hunters and saying they're superior just doesn't come off too well.

>
>Curious how your "true" hunters busted
>their own ass to locate
>the animals you led them
>to?

His harvest rate is not 100% so doubt having a guide where is 1:1 or 2:1 is a matter of the guide pointing to a deer and saying "shoot that one."

I usually hunt on my own. Checked my hunt recaps. Twice in my last 23 hunts I have been on a lease. Both those had guides. Three other times had a guide on public land, once because was the law and twice when I felt the guide would help me climb up the learning curve faster when on first time hunting a species. I grew up where whitetail deer was the only big game then moved out West.

I may end up drawing a moose tag the next year or two. Have never hunted moose and most likely will only go on one moose hunt. I will look into hiring a guide.

I usually hunt solo. I like the challenge and find it more memorable. I also hunt to find peace which is not possible when bump into slob hunters or hunters zooming around on ATVs as if are preparing to run at the Indy 500. Private land reduces odds I have to listen to ATVs. If that means a guide is used, so be it. I would rather listen to one guide than an ATV.

Good post WB, I think you nailed it with a lot of people.

I could really care less how others hunt, how others define hunting, or how others spend their money doing so. As long as they are doing it legally, to each their own.

Just because someone is able to take trophy animals as a result on how they choose to hunt/spend their money doesn't mean we have to continually complain about it/them.

Why do we waste so much time and energy, I don't know. I think its foolish.

We get so caught up in the #'s with animals that we tend to forget why we each enjoy hunting in the first place.

I guess it's all based on the commercialization of the sport (which I dislike). You can't blame people for trying to make a dollar, but the drive for that buck (no pun intended) has not led to the overall good of the sport IMO.

Done with my rant. There's my two pennies worth.

>AT 07:52?PM (MST)

>
>Now we're getting to the meat
>and potatoes. You need to
>be like me to be
>a "true" hunter...
>
>
>
>"I think I speak for a
>large amount of us.. that
>if Denny would go out
>and harvest the animals he
>does by himself and bust
>his OWN ass scouting to
>locate these animals like most
>of us do. We would
>have the utmost respect for
>him. Sure, what he does
>is totally legal but it
>does not appease or impress
>any of us who are
>true hunters and from what
>I can tell the only
>ones that will stand up
>for him are the ones
>hes wrote a check for."
>
>
>
>"Im not sure what you're getting
>at with your question but
>here's your answer...
>
>I refer to my clients as
>HUNTERS and we go HUNTING.
>The way I guide/hunt and
>the clients I guide are
>night and day different that
>Denny Austad, Will Farrar, and
>Doyle and Company. For instance;
>most every hunt i guide
>starts off with a 6-8
>mile horseback ride just to
>reach basecamp, every hunt i
>guide is 1 on 1
>or a 2 on 1,
>(2 hunters to one guide).."
>
>
>Curious how your "true" hunters busted
>their own ass to locate
>the animals you led them
>to?

Few people want to call out Will because he's associated directly with Heather, and frankly, the vast majority of us are somewhat decent and would never bad mouth the wife of a fellow hunter, and would not bad mouth that hunter in front of his wife. I appreciate that they appear to be happy and that they share their success with us. I don't always necessarily agree with "big money hunting", but I can't say I wouldn't be just the same.

Frankly, if Denny took his wife with him, there'd be a lot of us that would appreciate him more. Denny always looks pissed that he had to walk over to his animal to even take a picture. He's like, ##### Cheney or something. :)

After attending the EXPO for the first time in 12 years, and seeing the Juggernaut that is Mossback Guides and blah blah blah... I don't think Denny or Will are the sole problem.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

>AT 11:27?PM (MST)

>
>No question Denny and others that
>buy high dollar auction tags
>get those hunts differently than
>most of us but saying
>they're not true hunters because
>they don't do it themselves,
>then immediately talk about guiding
>your own hunters and saying
>they're superior just doesn't come
>off too well.

I don't see where I made the point that what I do is superior or the guys i guide are superior? What I was trying to say is that I guide for the most part average joes,on average hunts on public land. I don't take part in 300k plus A1 hunts or what have you. None of the hunts I conduct are 'bounty hunts' for the largest animal in all the land with no expenses spared. Maybe I came off the wrong way in saying that I would personally have more respect for Denny if he were a DIY'er. What should of been said is "I would have more respect for the way Denny hunts if all his hunts weren't essentially high dollar bounty hunts." I've had the chance to stumble upon Mr.Austad on a few occasions in 2011 while he had the governors mule deer tag. Although our encounters and conversations were always brief I don't think we ever came off to one another the right way. He probably thinks Im a snot nosed, young, dumb, cocky kid like YBO that didn't want to sell out and tell him where a buck was and I probably came off to give him the impression that I think he's a wealthy old man that buys his animals instead of hunts them. But its all personal opinion. Debates like this are no different than political pissing matches; nobody wins, not every one agrees, no one budges on their opinion, but we all have the right to one. All i've done is state mine. At the end of the day what Denny Austad does with his money and his hunts has zero effect on me and the way I hunt. Do i agree with him no.. but he has every right to do what he does.

Coloradoboy

Gledeasy nailed it! Many of us may not approve of the direction that big money tags are taking hunting, but it is what it is. To crucify someone that you only know through photos you see is idiotic. He frowns; he must be an arrogant, self-righteous dickhead. Lots of people don't smile for pictures...

Will's wife is pretty...that's why he gets a pass from you guys. That's our society. It's as plain as the sky is blue. You just won't admit it.

nfh says it best. He doesn't know them, so he doesn't make idiotic assumptions about anyone's character.

I'll give ColoradoBoy a pass because he's still young and has a lot to learn. And he'll learn a lot about people in his profession...and he has learned a lot and will learn more on this site. He has humility and can figure it out when he's wrong.

However, the old retired guy that thinks he's above everyone with his thoughts and opinions will never learn humility and respect. No matter what he says, his actions continually speak louder than his words.

My PM box is now open for business.

Ok...So the more deer you have on your wall, the less big bucks you should kill? Isn't trophy hunting ego-driven for all of us?

Would it be ok for you or I to kill a radio-collared buck? It's different because he already has lots of trophies? I have 6 mule deer mounts. Should I have to wait until everyone else catches up before I kill another one? Or is it okay for me to kill another trophy buck because I'm not as wealthy and privileged as Denny is?

He has donated millions of dollars over the years and he is a poor example of a conservationist? Do you know him?

I've never met Denny Austed(Austad?). I really have no opinion on the man. I just get a little tired of the self-righteous holier than thou attitudes of people on this site( and in society).

Self righteousness has nothing to do with it.
Money or lack thereof has nothing to do with
It. Killing a buck on 26,000 acres on a barren
Island with a rifle has plenty to do with it.

If we don't care how the antlers get on the wall
What's the point??

"The future is large scale auction tags.
The majority of the tags should go up
for auction anually. It MIGHT even be
good to allow second sales of auction
tags as in outfitters purchasing tags
and then re-selling them to the public."
TRISTATE 8/17/2012

Dang what happened to your post 2_point??
I was just gonna say that all deer big or small are part of some study, that's why we get harvest reports and surveys.
This is an argument that will never cease to die for as long as we're all still able to hunt in America.
Question, would we still be talking about this if no deer on earth had antlers?? If Denny paid big money to shoot an animal that had no antlers on a 26,000 acre island would anybody care??
Don't kid youselves, it's all about the antler size.

First, I personally use Denny generally as an example. More guys know who he is, so I use him. Similar in the way I use Doyles name.

Second, my personal opinion is that he is perhaps one of the laziest shooters I have read about or had knowledge of. I could buy the argument that he wanted the tag the first year because of the massive deer that had never been hunted. But the year after year thing pretty much bares out my opinion. I watched his video about Spider and a year later I can still almost quote Doyle, "you have to hand it to Denny he hunted with us ALMOST the whole time".

Last, I have been consistent. The AI hunt is BS, that was set up to reward SFW donors. I don't care who buys the tag, the shoot out there is sad. I shot for a field trialer. We would take out pheasants, spin them up so they were dizzy then plant them on their backs. We then would move up the field with the Spingers quartering until they flushed the bird, I then shot it. I have no confusion, that wasn't hunting, it was shooting. If Denny or his worshipers think what he does out on the island is anything other than shooting, THEY ARE JUST PLAIN WRONG.
I don't go after the draw tag because the draw tag was thrown in to try to make hunters less disgusted, without SFW guaranteeing 6 didgits there wouldn't be a hunt, the average draw hunter was never part of the discussion.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

I talked to Denny for a long time during the expo, to thank him for being our guest speaker at the chairbound hunters of Utah dinner, and we got talking about quite a few things, he is passionate about the island and buys the tag to save the island for everyone to enjoy it, what would happen to the island if the government ran out of money to run it?, Denny has a big heart and he is getting another pauns tag for a chairbound hunter again this year. If you want to see how great of a guy he is, I challenge you all to come to the dinner on April 12 in Provo and listen to him. Maybe after hearing from him and listening to him you might find out who he really is and have a better opinion about him.

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

Man when I saw this thread I thought instead of a Sat night MMA fight we were going to have a MM staged fight :)...

IMO Denny looks tough but I think that bearded guy will knock his ars out in the 2nd round as Denny just does not look like he is in shape this year to go more than one round... Also it looks like Denny would give up a few pounds to the challenger so I guess we will just have to see at weigh in.

Sorry my smart ass side could not help it..

2_Point... I assume you were referring to me. No offense taken to anyone's opinion, including yours. Hopefully, I didn't offend you with mine. After all, that's what this board is for...right?

That being said, why did you edit your posts? You're entitled to your opinion just like the rest of us!

The only thing that is offensive here is when folks resort to name-calling, and even then it's not that bad most of the time. Pretty good entertainment for the most part!

Nothing wrong with good debate.

Seems i have read this thread on the same subject about three times a year for the last 4-5 years.

Whatever makes you guys happy!! :)

FTR, i'm for letting people hunt the way they want provided it's legal to do so. Also, my definition of a "hunt" probably is a lot more liberal now than it was when i was younger. Time and experience have a way of changing opinions.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I think it's great that some of these guys get to buy a few tags like these every year, and few is the key word. I think any guy should be able to hunt exactly the way he wants to given it's legal. If denny wants to go hunt where it's easy, so be it, he bought the opp. for such a hunt. Who cares if it's easy, unless your trying to compare yourself or your bucks with denny's. This is where the problem starts when a guy looks at his hard earned buck that's a lot smaller than denny's, and feels threatened by denny's monster horns. Everyone across the west is searching in some way shape or form for a place that's filled with giants, what we refer to as a honey hole be it on public land or not. From indian reservations to mexico the hunt is on for the best of the best as far as hunting opps. go. When a guy shoots a monster on one of these high profile tags why does everyone get so jealous, it is what it is. Instead of not liking the guy cause he wants an easy hunt, just recognise the circumstances behind the easily gotton monster and move on. Heck there's tons of guys that have been hunting for years on these high profile hunts across the west and most aren't beating their chests because of their accomplishments, but instead take a beating from the have not's who had to walk thru 10 inches of snow to get a 175 buck. Guys quit comparing apples and oranges. heck i used to look at mexico in the same light with regards to coues deer hunting. Almost everyone i knew who had a big coues deer killed it in mexico on private ranches that are only hunted once a year. Guys would go over there and stack big bucks up like cord wood, meanwhile it took us in az on state land 4 weeks to find a buck as small as the smallest in the cord wood stack. I used to get jealous of all the mexico coues cause i was comparing our public land giants to the unhunted very little pressured mexico deer. Once i realized i was comparing apples and oranges, i actually started going to mexico myself looking for opps for coues. It's the nature of the beast to want to compare your results with others results in the field, just make sure your comparing apples with apples, not oranges. Now when i see a huge mexico coues deer someone has, i get a big smile on my face and ask the person who killed it, "is there room for one more on that awesome easy ranch to hunt, even with a high rack, while having a smoke to boot". I must say though the bucks we are most proud of are the giants from public land, not some place that never gets hunted. To each his own, i'm going back to mexico every year though for some oranges.

" If you want to see how great of a guy he is, I challenge you all to come to the dinner on April 12 in Provo and listen to him. Maybe after hearing from him and listening to him you might find out who he really is and have a better opinion about him."

Why would any of these asshats do that? They might actually have to post something positive for once!

Traditional >>>------->

Who gives a rats a$$ what they do with their money. So they may not hunt how we do. But at least they are in the outdoors sticking up for what we enjoy.

Im sure if we all had that kind of money our huntin lifestyles might be different. Austed could give that 305k to Obama. Would you guys rather have that???

Give the old guy credit. he is old and still getting out. Maybe he enjoys hunting with his friends.

I know if I had millions I sure as heck would be traveling all across the world hunting. But the fact is I don't have millions so I am going to enjoy my hunting lifestyle and worry more about me instead of what someone else does with their money

>Who gives a rats a$$ what
>they do with their money.
> So they may not
>hunt how we do. But
>at least they are in
>the outdoors sticking up for
>what we enjoy.
>
>Im sure if we all had
>that kind of money our
>huntin lifestyles might be different.
>Austed could give that 305k
>to Obama. Would you guys
>rather have that???
>
>Give the old guy credit. he
>is old and still getting
>out. Maybe he enjoys hunting
>with his friends.
>
>
>
>I know if I had millions
>I sure as heck would
>be traveling all across the
>world hunting. But the fact
>is I don't have millions
>so I am going to
>enjoy my hunting lifestyle and
>worry more about me instead
>of what someone else does
>with their money

Couldn't have said it better. If everyone payed attention to their own hunts more than some other guys hunt i can guarantee that everyone would be happier in general about their own hunts. Also i think that alot of the energy spent trying to analyse someone else's success takes away from the hunting experience in general for us all. Sounds to me like denny is a super nice guy, especially if he buys tags to give to others. I don't see one bit of selfishness in a act like that.

They guy is older. He cant jump on a horse or hike 15 miles. At least give the guy an ounce of credit.

>They guy is older. He cant
>jump on a horse or
>hike 15 miles. At least
>give the guy an ounce
>of credit.

I can only hope that when i'm denny's age that i would have the kind of enthusiasm he must still have to want to spend that kind of money on a hunt. Secondly, i wish my grandpa would have kept his passion to hunt like denny still does. If i had the money like denny does i would probably be buying these kinds of tags every year for my gramps, and it wouldn't matter one lick to me how easy it was, as long as he had a smile on his face, that's all that would matter. I'm only 42 now , and there's stuff i currently hunt that i look at now, realizing i might only have another 10 years left before i can't make it back there anymore cause it's to hard to get to. If i was denny i would stand tall with a grin on my face watching everyone else bicker about my hunt, as if it's that important anyways. It would be entertaining to say the least. I hope the guy kills giant after giant every year, we just have to figure out a way to limit the amount of these special tags across the west, so that the common mans future in hunting isn't sold off completely to the highest bidder.

I like most of the comments and have a few to share of my own:

If the test of a real hunter is in the complete difficulty of a hunt then why are the easiest units, with the biggest animals, the units which are most oversubscribed? Those who squawk the loudest are the same guys who clog up the odds on all the easiest units with the biggest animals. Even those guys want it easier!

Why aren't the most difficult, challenging units the most popular? If that's what makes a guy a hunter then we should only apply for tags in the roughest terrain with the lowest success odds, with the smallest antlers and NEVER USE A GUIDE OR ASK FOR HELP FROM OTHERS.

DIY is myth perpetuated by the bragadocious and uneducated hunter! We all rely on those who have gone before and reach out for help whenever we can.

It just seems like we're casting stones when we have no right to do so. All this banter seems quite pointless and petty!

Zeke

>I like most of the comments
>and have a few to
>share of my own:
>
>If the test of a real
>hunter is in the complete
>difficulty of a hunt then
>why are the easiest units,
>with the biggest animals, the
>units which are most oversubscribed?
>Those who squawk the loudest
>are the same guys who
>clog up the odds on
>all the easiest units with
>the biggest animals. Even those
>guys want it easier!
>
>Why aren't the most difficult, challenging
>units the most popular? If
>that's what makes a guy
>a hunter then we should
>only apply for tags in
>the roughest terrain with the
>lowest success odds, with the
>smallest antlers and NEVER USE
>A GUIDE OR ASK FOR
>HELP FROM OTHERS.
>
>DIY is myth perpetuated by the
>bragadocious and uneducated hunter! We
>all rely on those who
>have gone before and reach
>out for help whenever we
>can.
>
>It just seems like we're casting
>stones when we have no
>right to do so. All
>this banter seems quite pointless
>and petty!
>
>Zeke

Very well said Zeke. However this same argument will come up over and over again yearly. All you have to do is mention Antelope Island, Denny Austed, Mossback, high fence, guided hunt or any of the other keywords and you will have the same people hollering about who is a true hunter and who is not. No one has yet and I am sure will not ever address what Yelum said about the old man with a tag and his gun sitting in his truck. All we have to do is
wait until the picture comes out of the buck harvested from AI this year and here we go again.

>I like most of the comments
>and have a few to
>share of my own:
>
>If the test of a real
>hunter is in the complete
>difficulty of a hunt then
>why are the easiest units,
>with the biggest animals, the
>units which are most oversubscribed?
>Those who squawk the loudest
>are the same guys who
>clog up the odds on
>all the easiest units with
>the biggest animals. Even those
>guys want it easier!
>
>Why aren't the most difficult, challenging
>units the most popular? If
>that's what makes a guy
>a hunter then we should
>only apply for tags in
>the roughest terrain with the
>lowest success odds, with the
>smallest antlers and NEVER USE
>A GUIDE OR ASK FOR
>HELP FROM OTHERS.
>
>DIY is myth perpetuated by the
>bragadocious and uneducated hunter! We
>all rely on those who
>have gone before and reach
>out for help whenever we
>can.
>
>It just seems like we're casting
>stones when we have no
>right to do so. All
>this banter seems quite pointless
>and petty!
>
>Zeke

Great post! I agree 100%

Hey Coloradoboy, you telling me that if one of your past clients hit some big time money, called you up, said hey lets go hunt AI, I will tip you 10% of that 300k, you telling me you would turn it down?

You are either lying, or a fool no matter which way you answer that one!!

2a0fcsk.gif

It is very ironic that the rut hunts for mule deer or elk are the highest ones in demand by most hunters. Most dream of having that mule deer tag in mid November when all the deer are stacked in the bottom third of their range, and the bucks aredoing wheelies across the road on top of doe's. There is a reason for this and its called opportunity. Seems like everyone wants to increase their opportunity in the field , and it seems to me all these guys who buy the big tags are doing just that. Nothin wrong with that, especially when we all are trying to do the same thing with regards to our own tags. Why would anyone who has the passion we all seem to have for hunting care about where a certain fellas animal was harvested? The answer is nobody woul care ,unless they were trying to make direct comparisons to their own hunt and the size of the animal they harvested. In my opinion all this negativity arises from jealousy only. I've learned slowly but surely that its about the experience in the field with family and friends that matters the most. I've also learned that after a good hunt filled with memories one of the best meals around was tag soup. It's amazing how tasty tag soup is while washing down the memories of the hunt. The real trophy comes when you can savor the tag soup more than a monster buck Laying on the ground in camp. Go get em Denny , can't wait to hear about the smile on your face when you kill another big one , and I don't really care about the size of the buck, just the smile.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-14 AT 09:07AM (MST)[p]Really.....this topic cracks me up. Go kill those AI bucks Denny!!!

I have hunted public land and some private land many times, sure many of you have too. You are right that the trophy is about the hunt and the experience...might be a 2 point..might be a 200".

If I was Denny and had the money to Donate and still get a Trophy Mule Deer Tag....I sure would....and hire Mossback to help out!! Mossback is a first class operation and treat their clients well.

Just because most of us cannot afford the cost of a AI tag.....get over it or start working harder and make better business decisions to be able to Donate your money to any organization you want. Just let us at MM know so we can let you know if it is a "Trophy Organization" and if we feel that you did the right thing!

I probably will never shoot a 200" buck in my lifetime.....best yet is a 183" P & Y Utah Archery Buck. That is my Trophy. But, you can bet.....I sure would like the AI tag if I could afford it.

The AI tag is a hunt offered by the Utah DWR. Denny and Mossback play by the rules. Get over it!!!...until Obama changes it...... and takes your guns away!!!

>>I like most of the comments
>>and have a few to
>>share of my own:
>>
>>If the test of a real
>>hunter is in the complete
>>difficulty of a hunt then
>>why are the easiest units,
>>with the biggest animals, the
>>units which are most oversubscribed?
>>Those who squawk the loudest
>>are the same guys who
>>clog up the odds on
>>all the easiest units with
>>the biggest animals. Even those
>>guys want it easier!
>>
>>Why aren't the most difficult, challenging
>>units the most popular? If
>>that's what makes a guy
>>a hunter then we should
>>only apply for tags in
>>the roughest terrain with the
>>lowest success odds, with the
>>smallest antlers and NEVER USE
>>A GUIDE OR ASK FOR
>>HELP FROM OTHERS.
>>
>>DIY is myth perpetuated by the
>>bragadocious and uneducated hunter! We
>>all rely on those who
>>have gone before and reach
>>out for help whenever we
>>can.
>>
>>It just seems like we're casting
>>stones when we have no
>>right to do so. All
>>this banter seems quite pointless
>>and petty!
>>
>>Zeke
>
>Great post! I agree 100%
>
>Hey Coloradoboy, you telling me that
>if one of your past
>clients hit some big time
>money, called you up, said
>hey lets go hunt AI,
>I will tip you 10%
>of that 300k, you telling
>me you would turn it
>down?
>
>You are either lying, or a
>fool no matter which way
>you answer that one!!
>
>
2a0fcsk.gif

Call me a fool, or call me a liar but I wouldn't... You have to practice what you preach.

>Hossblur, How does the Antelope
>island help SFW.

Your question is does the AI tag directly benefit SFW? Does SFW get any of the $305k, no. I like the trap you tried to set. Tell me now, did the guys bidding that lost buy anything else? Did SFW profit from that? The AI tag is like the $99 T.V. at Walmart on Black Friday. Walmart loses money on it, but makes money from the 1000 people who come to walmart to try and get one. Now since you asked I will ask. What year was AI in the red before SFW "saved" it?
Karl Malone does a ton of good deeds for people. He offered 6 figures years ago, why didn't he get to hunt the island?
Again, I don't know Denny, nor do i care if he buys it or YOU buy it, it shouldn't be available to buy!!! Denny buys a lot of tags every year, I don't care(well I do, but thats not Denny, thats governments saleout). This island shouldn't be hunted period!

Funny that folks can't seem to seperate Denny from whether the island should be hunted. I have no problem, there SHOULD BE NO AI HUNT. Don't give me the "why aren't you against the draw tag" line, SFW didn't lobby the state for a draw tag, they did it for a 6 figure payday, but AI SHOULDN'T BE HUNTED either way by no one, PERIOD. I guess that means I am envious of Denny? This arugument gets so old, if you can scratch a check it must be right? If Denny offers a million to hunt elk in yellowstone should we let him? Or is it ok to have a few thousand acres in the entire state of Utah that we don't saleout?

I love the arguement that the hunt is to "save" wildlife, yet the money stays on the island, where the wildlife are thriving so much they have to sell the buffalo, and transplant the sheep and deer. Not to mention that money stays out there, it didn't improve one acre on the Manti, Wasatch, Nebo, Cache, etc, etc, etc. The expo SUPPOSEDLY uses the money for habitat and conservation STATEWIDE, not SL county where it takes place. This is what it is, the EASIEST TROPHY DEER HUNT IN THE UNITED STATES, brought about as a way for SFW to further themselves and further their influence on the most corrupt legislature(when it comes to wildlife) in the western US. And that has NOTHING TO DO WITH A GUY NAMED DENNY, he is just the flavor of the month.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom