Australia to start shooting feral horses.

IDbullz

Have spent a lot of time in the Book Cliffs the past decade or so... Used to only see horses near Ouray and across the oil fields on the way out there. In 2016 I experienced my first sighting of wild horses in the Roadless Area, and not deep. Now, last year and this year, I've seen them from the Divide Road where I had never seen them before. Seems Utah may need to consider something like this sooner rather than later... But I'm a bit torn like many because horses have been domesticated for so long, its tough to view them as "wild game".

Wow, that sounds pretty drastic! I get that they might need to do something about the wild horse population, but shooting them from the air seems a bit extreme. Wonder if there are other, more humane ways to manage the situation?

Wow, that sounds pretty drastic! I get that they might need to do something about the wild horse population, but shooting them from the air seems a bit extreme. Wonder if there are other, more humane ways to manage the situation?
Shoot them from the ground? They will over-run the place. I can promise you that. They are federally protected from hunting, unfortunately.

They’ve been shooting feral horses for a long time down there. The government stepping in suggests the problem is out of hand

I can tell you this, it's amazing how smart and wile a horse or horses can get that know you are trying to kill them.

I like horses. Apparently 16,000 need to be removed. What is inhumane about shooting them from the air. Driving a bolt into their forehead, in a squeeze pen, inside a blood soaked slaughter house, sound better?

China might be interested in the meat…….https://rtfitchauthor.com/2017/04/29/from-the-land-down-under-china-wants-our-donkeys-dead-or-alive/

China might be interested in the meat…….https://rtfitchauthor.com/2017/04/29/from-the-land-down-under-china-wants-our-donkeys-dead-or-alive/
A farm near Axtel, Utah has hundreds upon hundreds of them, we pay to feed them every day. The jacks were breeding the jinnys as I drove by yesterday. Call Jinping.

Not true at all.
My wife is Australian and I personally lived there for 4 years. My bro in laws and father in law all have guns.
I hunted with an Australian a few years ago, he owns guns……. I been told Australia has more restrictive regulations on gun ownership but don’t know the specifics.

I hunted with an Australian a few years ago, he owns guns……. I been told Australia has more restrictive regulations on gun ownership but don’t know the specifics.
They do. Its a lengthy process and caliber size is based on use and amount of land you own.

Guns safes, in WA, have to be Gov approved and they can inspect them at anytime.

You can also own hand guns if you belong to a hand gun club and qualify to own it.

To say you can't have guns isn't true. To say that its quite a process is an understatement.

Have spent a lot of time in the Book Cliffs the past decade or so... Used to only see horses near Ouray and across the oil fields on the way out there. In 2016 I experienced my first sighting of wild horses in the Roadless Area, and not deep. Now, last year and this year, I've seen them from the Divide Road where I had never seen them before. Seems Utah may need to consider something like this sooner rather than later... But I'm a bit torn like many because horses have been domesticated for so long, its tough to view them as "wild game".

UT can't do anything about it without the blessing of the federal gov't.

2 years ago I counted over 100 on Winter Ridge one morning.
The BLM's management plan is to have zero horses out there, but every time they'd remove them, more would come over from the Reservation, so the gave up. It's a free for all for the horses now.

Have you not followed this? USA spends hundreds of millions to 'house' wild horses with some attempts at birth control.

I like horses. Apparently 16,000 need to be removed. What is inhumane about shooting them from the air. Driving a bolt into their forehead, in a squeeze pen, inside a blood soaked slaughter house, sound better?
Yes either one sound excellent too me…

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom