Average Cost of a Mule Deer Hunt

bonehunter85

Ive been wanting to do a guided hunt for awhile now and wanted to reach out to see everyones thoughts. What would you say, on Average, the cost of a fully guided Mule deer hunt here in the west is (Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho) ? I know things vary depending on size and accomodations etc. but if you had to put an average price to it. Thanks for any responses. I just need to see how much to try to save up for one of these years!

Thanks!

Hey CW!

I Wouldn't Wait If You're Thinking About It At All!

You'd Be Best To Dip In To Your Savings NOW Rather Than Waiting!

These Guys That Think Hunting Big Game Is Gonna Still Be like It Is Now In The Future Are Wrong!

One Of These Years Hunting Will Be Worse Than It Is Now & Damn Sure Be More Expensive!

If I was going on a guided hunt, it would need to be something way out of the ordinary. For me, living the good life to shoot a 140-160 buck would be a memory i wouldn't necessarily enjoy as much. As I age though, it might become necessary. I look at lots of outfitter pix, and it can be a little humorous what they put up. 4500 seems to be bottom end.

140-160 class Bucks on private land with guaranteed tags and high success rates will run you 7500 ish.

If you provide the tag, and hunt public land, you'll pay 4-6k just for a guide service. Results will obviously vary depending on how good the unit is. You'' need multiple preference points just to draw a general season unit as a NR in those states.

Hey CW!

I Wouldn't Wait If You're Thinking About It At All!

You'd Be Best To Dip In To Your Savings NOW Rather Than Waiting!

These Guys That Think Hunting Big Game Is Gonna Still Be like It Is Now In The Future Are Wrong!

One Of These Years Hunting Will Be Worse Than It Is Now & Damn Sure Be More Expensive!
Bess:

You could not be more right. It might be time to start fishing again ?

Well woodruff!

It's kinda Like Wishing & Waiting For The Price Of New Trucks To Go Down!

If That Happens We'll Probably Be Living In Times We Don't Wanna See!

And That Time Might Not Be Far Off!

Bess:

You could not be more right. It might be time to start fishing again ?

I think the prices being listed are pretty much correct. I’m booked for Eastern Wyoming, private land next year for $6,000. Easy draw, maybe one PP.

These hunts with easy draws are booked two to three years out. I had to book two years out.

I wouldn’t wait either. These hunts have probably close to doubled in price in the last ten years.

You might get a hunt for a big buck in Alberta for $10,000 to $12,000.

I was at the Great Outdoor show last year and talked to at least a half dozen Eastern Wyoming outfitters with easy draws that were three years out.

I would be a little suspect of a $4,500 hunt but there are exceptions.

Back in the late 90’s, hunting “banquets” were just starting to take off. Myself, my dad, and my cousin would go to a few of them. I cannot remember which org they were for.

Anyway, they would auction off Cache South Rifle Elk tags, as well as others. I remember my dad really wanted to buy the tag. Once the bidders went up to the high $2,000’s, he was out.

I cannot remember what it went for but I’m about 99% sure it did not exceed $3,000.

Now, this same tag would likely never sell below $25,000 (I could be a bit off on my numbers). The point is, is that inflation and the economy do not ever seem to lower hunt prices.

Like others said, book now while you can.

Last edited:
20 years of hunting OTC, self-guided hunts, I've killed many 2x2 - 3x3s. Good success rate and full freezer! Refuse to pay guides or private land fees. I've seen awesome country, fought crowds, and glassed empty country for hours. 2x2/3x3 meat tastes awesome and eventually something like this will materialize. Not sure how he'll taste compared to the younger bucks??

home small.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom