AWHOLELOTTABULL

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
My dad booked a hunt with Jim this past season, muzzleloader. Just wanted to share my thoughts of the hunt. My dad was 75, doesn't get around well at any type of elevation.

The first 4 days it was hot and dry, bulls bedded by 9:00AM. Jim showed us bulls everyday. Some of the situations would have been tough for anybody to get on the bull before it bedded, impossible for my dad. The areas we hunted were limited by my dad's ability to get around but Jim tried hard everyday. He has intimate knowledge of the area, knew where the elk were, and knew their habits. Had a very close call on Day 5 at a decent 6 point bull, just didn't cinch the deal. Jim was very patient, even when my dad told him he couldn't make a certain stalk, or had to rest often on a stalk. He offered for us to hunt an additional day at no cost.

Nice, comfortable camp. Good food.

Although I'm a do it yourself type, I am the one that suggested a guide and i believe Jim gave my dad the chance possible to take a good bull, no regrets.

He also shared information on the unit even though he knew when I draw I'll probably go DIY. But when my wife draws a moose tag in that unit, my first call will be to Jim to see when he's availible.

If you are looking for a wilderness, pack in type hunt, this isn't it. If you just want to see lots of elk and maybe that bull of a lifetime, this hunt would be a good fit.

Just thought I'd share our experience for those of you that draw that tag and are considering a guide.

Hunter

Does he guide in Utah? What units? How much? My dad has 15 Utah elk points and is getting up there in age. Sounds like a great guide for my dad when he draws.

This is the utah forum so my best guess would be yes he guides in utah. My guess on the unit would be wasatch, but i'm sure that is not the only unit he could guide on.

Thats crazy tht you posted this about Jim. Just yesterday i PM him and asked him how your dad did. I dont know if you remember but i was the one that told you to give him a call. He told me your dad hunted hard but luck was just not on your side. I never have hunted with him but I know the areas he hunts and he knows his stuff and his camp seems to be open to anyone. I would recommend him to anyone just as long as he is not going after the same bull. Just kidding i would share a mountain with him anyday.

Jim has always been a stand-up kinda guy and always will be.

Glad your dad had a great time---harvest or no harvest.

Robb

AWLB is a GREAT Guy & Guide!

Great Family Too!

If & when I finally Draw I'll be so old & crippled I'll have to hire him!:D

This Guy gives his all & has always known what's going on with Utah's Game Herds!

I've suggested many times we need him to take over the UDWR & manage it like it's suppose to be managed!

I've got alot of Respect for AWLB!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!
And a good BBQ!
I am Medicine And I am Poison!

I don't know Jim on a personal level. But the few dealing I have had with him, he strike me as a straight shooter If I had a hunt that I needed a guide on, he would be on a short list of guys I would call.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I consider Jim a good friend, and feel lucky to do so.

He's the kind of guy that is good at whatever he puts his mind too.

Met him once and spoke with him several times about our hunt. He sure knows the Nebo unit well. I know that he guides on the Wasatch as well.

He has a great knowlege of elk and is just an all around good guy. I would highly recommend him if and when you draw!!

Thanks for all the kind words guys! It's pretty humbling to hear those types of things. We've always tried to give out best to the hunters that come and hunt with us. And we always enjoy having "family hunts". Those are our favorites.

Hunter,
I appreciate the kind words. We enjoyed having you and your Dad in camp. That last night as we were walking out of that wallow and we had all those bulls bugling in front of us I couldn't help but feel very lucky to be standing there with your dad. I will be honest, when I turned around to start walking again I had a little tear in my eye. I could only think of how I wished I could share that kind of experience again with my dad and grandpa. I was very impressed with your Dad. I hope when I'm his age, I'm still wandering those hills. As for the swamp donkey, you're on. Just get the tag! She's got a friend that will help her knock one of those big buggers down! I hope you don't mind but I had these pictures on my phone still so I'm posting them up for posterity sake.

By the way, I drove through Susanville last week and thought about you! Next time I'm coming through I will give you a shout!

1551img00105-20101001-0909.jpg

6208img00118-20101003-0932.jpg

It's always an adventure!!!

Very nice thread indeed. I have talked to Jim in person a couple of times. Once at a show and our first annual Race for the cure. From what little I know of him he is a family man and a stand up guy. Jim is always welcome in my camp.

Sometimes on hunts you bag a trophy, but all hunts leave you with memories and stories to share with others. This story and adventure you have is priceless.

"I've suggested many times we need him to take over the UDWR & manage it like it's suppose to be managed!"

Had the pleasure of meeting AWLOB and Prism at an "Sportsmen's Expo" in Richfield a few years ago, visited with him on occasions since that time. First class individual, he walks the walk. Never hunted with Jim but off the mountain he is man of character and integrity, can't imagine he would be any different in a hunting camp.

Jim loves all kinds of hunting and fishing. Sees a need and a place of value for all hunters, archer, muzzy and rifle. Has a rational concern for both predator and prey and habitat. Respects landowners and public lands. Has kids he want to see hunt and fish and still gets a "tear in his eye" when he's around older hunters who's better days are memories of their best days gone by.

When it comes to understanding wildlife/hunter issues, he gets it. Open minded, willing to listen and learn, has experience in the field that allow him to measure opinion against his experience and draw logical conclusions. A rare bred, in my opinion.

I hope Jim will continue to be committed to hunting and wildlife issues, he and others like him will be the future of Utah's hunting history. I fully expect to see Jim become a voice for reason in our big game decision's. The folks in the Central Region need to see to it that Jim has an appointment to your RAC. His understanding and objective assessment nature is what our system needs.

I'm with you Big Bopper, AWLOB for Pres.

DC

I don't want you to feel left out 2lumpy!

You & Prism are in on New DWR elected officials as well!:D

I often wonder if it would be like finding a New President of the United States?

Both are in such a FRICKEN mess nobody that could do it wants to step up to the plate!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!
And a good BBQ!
I am Medicine And I am Poison!

Nice thread !

Says a lot about the man to have people give these kind of responses but his response says even more.

Bill

But if I read his facebook correctly, he is retiring! Just when I might be getting close to drawing a tag too!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

well my brother had a utah muzzleloader tag in utah this year and also booked with jim. him and his guide partner danny guided us.danny and jim put us on bulls every day. and some very big bulls to boot. we could have killed elk every day and even an missed oppurtunity at a monster. these guys were the best people you could have asked for. they were willing to put in the effort to go were nobody else was going to go. this was a awsome experience that 3 hill billy out of staters would have never got without jim and danny. awsome morals, ethics u name it they had it. knowledge of the terrain and the elk were phenoninal. we cant thank you guys enough for putting up with us . and hiking our butts off day in day out. and also a special thanks to jims wife carrie. she is an awsome cook. good luck to you guys and tell danny hopefully his luck in getting drawn is coming his way.

kenny

I've been too busy to follow up on this post........til now.

I just want to ask, how often on here do you not get one negative comment?? This may be a first. That in itself is a tribute to Jim.

OBTW, Jim next time you're through this country, let me know. Right now it's double shifts 2-3 times a week with 2-3 chukar hunts a week mixed in but come February 7th, I'm free again.

I want to be just like Jim when I grow up........j/k, not surprised to see this thread a'tall!

Pred

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom