Awsome day of calling.

jarheadhunter

My buddy Steve and I made it out Sat. for some calling and we were not dissapointed.

We hadn't even set up on our first stand as it was to dark so as we were waiting for it to get light we have a coyote pass about 15 yds in front of us on theroad were parked on. We got out and tried to follow, but we couldn't see anything.

We got set up in our spot and about 5 min. into the call a big male tried to come in from behind us almost. I caught him out of the corner of my eye and he popped up over the hill about 10 yds behind the call and smacked him in the chest. He is my biggest coyote to date. We guessed he weighed in at around 45 lbs.

8456coyote3.jpg

3334coyote5.jpg

Next stand we had another big coyote come in and he saw my partner move and bolted. I got on him at about 200 yds and made an awsome running shot on him and he started to do the death spin. Next thing we look up and he is running up the hill so we hit him 2 more times before he goes over the hill. I had a hard time finding the blood trail and couldn't see him on the other side of the hill I assume he piled up in the sage somewhere because I could see forever and never saw him running.

Third stand is always one of my favorites. Its a huge sagebrush draw you can see a mile in many directions. At about the 20 min mark I tell my buddy we should move to the next stand and as I am about to stand up I see a coyote charging in from my left about 400 yds out. I tell my buddy he can take this one. He comes to about 40 yds from us and my buddy lets him have it. As you can see from the pic lots of area to see them comming in.

995coyote6.jpg

Fourth stand we setup and start calling and I see what I think is an antalope running from right to left about 500 yds out. I put my binos up and it's a huge coyote running away from us. Only guess is he saaw us come in and set up. We continue calling and about 7 min later a lil coyote comes charging in and me and my buddy both shoot it at the same time.

2925coyote4.jpg

So were 4 for 4 stands and on our fifth we start up the call and within seconds we see a bunch of birds fly out of the brush about 150 yds in front of us. We get ready and see a flash of fur through the brush. Finally after a min we see this little head stick out from behind some sagebrush about 50 yds ahead of us. When I say little I mean little like the size of a house cat. This is the smallest coyote I had ever seen not with its mom. We though about it for a minute and decided we would just let him pass and come back and get him in the winter if it's still alive.

So all this was before 12 pm and we saw 2 more coyotes after that, but they were on private property. Still had a great day with a great friend.

Nice pics to go along with your story. Looks like you had an excellent hunt. Congrats to you guys.

Dang you guys had a great day for it being so early in the season, can't wait to get back out and bust some yoddelers.

Keep up the Slaughter!!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Thanks for the comments guys it was a great day. I actually got out again last weekend and we smoked 2 more. We were trying out a new area and there is some good coyote numbers there. We will be getting back out again this weekend I think. Hard to beat it when it's going this good.

Looking forward to your stories Ol Buzztail.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom