AZ black river ?

fisrtcoueswas80inches

Very Active Member
dad and i and some co-workers are going there this weekend. we lost our mao though and i was wondering if anyone had a place to go to get a map or if i should just buy one up there.anyone been there lately? we havent been for about a year, but how was the fishing? see any bears?
casey

Go to Map world here in Phx, They have maps of everything, It is right off I-17 and Indian School I think..

I was actually thinking of doing the same. Where are you guys planning on going? Which part? Maybe I'll see you there.
CouesFanatic

We're planning a trip up there for memorial weekend. First time up there for me. I hear The fishing is real good. I also hear that it gets packed for memorial weekend. Should be interesting! :)

Tommy
www.gilawildernesshunting.com

Tommy,
Hope you have a good trip. Try to avoid the popular areas like Black River Crossing, Tick Flat, the Pump Station. Hike an hour away from the access point to get away from the pressure.
In the past, I have done well on spinning gear using 3" plastic Mr Twister grubs or crawfish in black or pumpkinseed, or ultralight crawfish crankbaits. On the fly rod, black wooly buggers or poppers have been fun. lotsa bears walk the river, so keep your food and ice chests locked up in the vehicle.

Doug/RedRabbit

Hey,
I'm headed there this weekend. I go in at George's Basin and work upstream towards Bonito Creek. A buddy of mine fished upstream from Tick Flat last weekend and said it was ok. I think the water temperature last week may have been a little low just yet to really get the fish active. The fish were in the process of making beds. So, any day now the fishing should get hot! Water clarity was awesome as well.

we go in at military corrsing, work our way down to the big bonito. if you see a 02 f250 power stroke and a 88 f150 with a blue camper shell, stop by and say hello that will be my dad, myself and some co workers, stop on in and drink a beer with us if ya see us. have fun
casey

just got back from the river. 6 of us caught about 80-100 fish. had fun fishing could have been better i only caught about 12. we had a cinamon assed bear in and around our camp and the camps around us all weekend. its a sad thing to see because we believe this bear wil have to be extermanated bear when he gets older. he showed no fear of us humans. good lookin young bear, we named him cinnabuns. i will get some pics within a week or 2 will prolly be longer because we have the whole roll left.
casey

Spent 1 week every summer along the east fork of the Black River. We camped around the Aspen campground just above Buffalo Crossing. Haven't been back in 4 years, sure miss it. Fishing was always good, but we were there 1-2 week of August every year. Would also take day trips to Big Lake only 10-12 miles going through buffalo crossing.

Tommy,
How did your first trip to the Black turn out?

Casey- Sounds like the fishing was a little slow for you. How big were the bass? Did you see any 12" sunfish on their beds?

Doug/RedRabbit

most of the bass were lil dinkers, there was i think 2 or 3 that were pound+, but we did have quite a few that we considered "keepers" for the fish fry. it was a fun time expecially with that bear always around camp. naw we didnt see any sunfish. they were tearin up these lil black helgramite lookin things that we had.
casey

The past few times I have been to the Black, it was early June and the sunfish were protecting their spawning beds around the weed beds. They avidly took a fly or small popper on the fly rod. Due to their vivid oranges of spawning colors, I thought that a pair would make a great taxidermy mount.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom