AZ Deer Help

Utah400Elk

Very Active Member
I am looking for a little help from the guys down in AZ/ southern Utah. I can offer Utah and Wyoming info in exchange if that helps? I have the points to draw either the 12 BW early hunt or 12 A either East or West (7 NR points). I have hunted 12BW hunt in 2006 and had a fun hunt. I never ended up shooting a deer but saw a few 160 class deer and just missed a 190 class deer. No shots taken but as I was driving up to the top of the buckskins I saw a white 4runner parked in the middle of the road by dead man?s pockets. I later stopped and talked with the guys in the 4runner. They had shot a 190 class buck that was following a doe in the middle of the day. They said they shot the deer about 10 seconds before I drove by and the deer was about 50 yards off the road. They said that if I had been about 30 seconds earlier I would have seen the deer just standing there. Not the way I like to hunt but I know things can happen that way.

Now, on to the question? In 2006 the 12BW hunt went into November. This year it does again. I have looked a lot at 12AE early and was sure this was the hunt I wanted to try but I with the later dates this year I am thinking about 12BW again. For the guys that live in the area and have hunted these hunts what would your suggestions be. I have been told that in the past few years the deer are NOT in 12BW unitl later. I have been told the later the dates the more deer that are there. I had a great time hunting in 12BW but would like a chance at a 180 class buck. I have included 12BW but I have not looked into that unit much. I know in 2006 a 180 buck would have been very hard to come by but they were there. I know there are 180 class bucks in both 12 AE and 12 AW.

To add a little to the mix. I plan on taking my wife and son on the hunt with me. He will not go on all the hunts but he could do a few evening hunts with me. He is going to be five and I thought it would be a fun hunt for him.

I really appreciate any help.

12 AE&B ARE HARD TO GET DRAWN FOR. BOTH ARE HARD HUNTS WITHOUT SNOW. PUT IN A LATE HUNT FIRST CHOICE & EARLY SECOND. BETTER TO BE LUCKY THAN GOOD.

Remember it's possible to draw your second choice and while your first choice still has tags available. So just think of it as First Choice and First Choice.

If you like glassing and seeing further, and a later hunt with cooler weather (hopefully) I'd go with the 12B hunt for sure.

>Remember it's possible to draw your
>second choice and while your
>first choice still has tags
>available. So just think of
>it as First Choice and
>First Choice.
>
>If you like glassing and seeing
>further, and a later hunt
>with cooler weather (hopefully) I'd
>go with the 12B hunt
>for sure.

Could you explain how that works? Thanks

>
>Could you explain how that works?
>Thanks

Before the random drawing there is a drawing for 20% of the tags that go to those with the most points. If you have 7 points and your 1st choice take 10 points to guarantee a tag in the max point round but your 2nd choice only take 6 to guarantee a tag in the max point round you will draw your 2nd choice before the random part of the draw takes place.

Those early hunts are more or less meat hunts. There just aren't that many 190 inch bucks period in any of those units and even though the dates are in November, they are still very early in November and they do not give you an advantage on the big bucks. The dates will trickle back every year now, until they get to around November 9th again. If it were me, I would put in for the late hunts and as the dates trickle back more and give you a little bit better chance of those bucks acting rutty, then I would pull the trigger on one of those early hunts. For now, in my opinion, the hunt is still too early to burn the points. I have hunted it the last 4 years and the dates make a huge difference.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom