AZ Elk 23N early or 10 early

H

highhunt

Guys, I'm in a position with 19 NR points to draw a early gun hunt in 23N or maybe 10. If you had these points which of these two units would you want to hunt? I'm looking for a 350 plus type bull. Thank you.

I don't know much about elk but have hunted both units. 23 is one rough country hunt but the biggest and most big bulls I have seen were in 23.

Don't think you can go wrong with either but there is alot of private land and potential access issues with 10 also.

Both are good units, I agree that 10 does have a lot of access problems. If I was in your position I would take my chances in 23 though! Good luck!

I like 23 too.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

10 has so many access problems and guide issues that it can be a unpredicatable hunt. 23 is rougher country, but there is not a unit with better potential. Easy chopice IMO.

I know this sounds crazy but if you shoot a bow I would highly recommend putting in for the archery tag in Arizona's top units rather than the rifle hunts. Here are the reasons: 1) you get twice as long to hunt, 2) Antlers are not as broken, 3) You get first crack at the good bulls, 4) The rut seems fresh and more intense during the archery hunt, 5) Other than the opening weekend you pretty much have the place to your self.

I have seen way better bulls during archery season than during the early rifle/muzzleloader seasons. Year in and year out the archery season seems to be where it is at. Just food for thought........I know someone that would love to apply with you if you have 19 points:):)

Good Luck you are in a great position!

Jay Scott
www.jayscottoutdoors.com

I think on a normal moisture year the edge has to go to Unit 10. 23N is a fairly rough and timbered unit, while 10 is very moderate and glassable. Over the past decade Unit 10 would surely be superior in consistantly producing giant bulls.
Unit 10 bulls do rut hard and break points- that's the biggest concern with the unit.
I don't feel that access is a real issue. No matter what, there are still thousands and thousands of acres to hunt unless something major changes.

23N and 10 are both great units, but I think the advantage goes to 10 because of the incredible genetics and glassability;)

Steve Chappell
www.ChappellGuideService.com
6062img_0100.jpg

Unit 10 Early Rifle Bull

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom