AZ Turkey pics

AZ402

This was the first Spring Turkey tag that I had drawn in AZ since 2000. Turkeys aren't my favorite but I figured I'd put a little effort in and see what happened. I missed opening day due to work and family obligations. Friday night my best friend and I headed out and reached our Turkey spot at about 2 A.M..

After about three hours of sleep we woke up to a turkey gobbling from it's roost. We headed in the direction but failed to get the bird close enough for a archery shot. We headed in another direction and quickly got another response and then several others. There were 3-4 birds right in front of us. Trav set up behind and started to call as I crept in for a closer look. I saw movement in front of me and set-up. In front of me 50-60 yards were three Toms strutting and postering each other. They pretty much were tied up with each other and we were unable to get a shot. The three birds moved off with some hens and shut it down for the morning.

That afternoon I grabbed my shotgun due to time constraints. About 10 minutes from camp we came across two Toms together. I got in to position for a shot and picked the one I thought was the biggest. The bird hit the ground and his buddy ran over to give him a few good-night kicks to the head.

turkey06017.jpg

Way to go Stan! It must have been a good weekend for turkey hunting, I am hearing lots of success stories.

Good thing AZ is going to bonus points for turkey's, I have had one tag in 13 years!

Congratulations!
Sounds like you had a hunt with plenty of action.
That is a good looking bird and I can't wait to get up after them at the end of this week!

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Nice bird... I'd love to take a bird like that. I've only managed to donate a few carbon arrows to the forrest gods so far.

JG >>-------->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom