Azerbaijan 2015 - Dagestan Tur

bobby7321

Returned last week from Azerbaijan. Definitely an adventure. It peaked my interest after seeing reports on this hunt the last couple years. My guide in Turkey also said this is a must do hunt. So booked it at the sheep show back in January, I requested to hunt the Sheki region.

Booked directly with Mirbala Manafov. Everything went very smooth and guides were very good. Can def recommend him if interested in this hunt.

Just before this trip I had gone to New Zealand to hunt chamois and tahr (report to come). During that trip, I took a pretty good tumble down the mountain while hunting chamois. I had 2 weeks between that and this hunt. Physically I was about 90%, but mentally I was a little shaken after the fall. I had heard that these mountains were dangerous, and they definitely lived up to the hype. I was a little embarrassed, but I told the guides I would need to go slow and steady. I used that walking stick / metal spike with every damn step.

Just a warning to those thinking about going on this hunt. These mountains (at least in Sheki area) are steep as hell. One slip and you aren't going to stop for a couple thousand feet. Its was pretty nerve wracking for me. I've hunted sheep and ibex in steep places, but these mountains are on another level.

It also was the first time for me on horseback. Right away they had us crossing rivers and going up little tiny trails on the mountainside. Fun stuff

The video tells the story better than I can. Here are a few pics and a short (8 minute) video I put together. Looking back now I wish I would have taken some more footage of the hiking, but I think I was too busy concentrating on where exactly to put my boot next.

18532765538_b4cf3de4ae_c.jpg

18099878073_20bb418503_c.jpg

As you will see in the video I was not able to go along on the recovery. The guides were able to get a cell phone pic of the tur on the ground.
18694576039_237171c995_z.jpg

Asiman, Humbat, and the rest of the crew.
18715658612_ec25ca0502_c.jpg

I didn't bother measuring him. I rarely do. I just know he was pretty old, pretty long, busted up and heavy. I was very happy. Only wished I had made a better shot on him.

https://vimeo.com/130935675

Funny, I too just got back from a hunt in New Zealand and depart in just a few days for a tur hunt in Azerbaijan, but unlike you I had about a month to recover between trips. This will be my first hunt for any of the three tur species, walking sticks are already packed...

What did you experience for shot distances? 300-400 typical? High numbers? Did you luck out and see any Caucasion chamois?

Nice job, congrats!

thanks Zeke!

thanks alaska_bou! Shot distance I would say plan on 250-450. Did not see any chamois. Outfitter said that they are very very rare in the area. Guides said they had only ever shot a couple. Didn't expect to see bears, but ended up seeing 8 of those in 3 days. As far as your walking sticks, I would leave them at home. They will give you a different type of stick to use. One that is very sturdy and has a large metal spike on the end that you can jam into the ground. My regular sticks would have been of no use to me on this trip. good luck!

Congrats on an interesting trophy!! Looks like some awesome country, love the rubber boots all the guides are wearing:)

Very cool animal and great pictures. I agree, those guides must have some above average ankle muscles to be cruising around in irrigation boots in that country!

Bobby,

I just got back from my trip, we hunted the Ismailli region and I took a heavy 13 year old on the first day. Our group average was about 10 years old. Great hunt in every respect, you weren't kidding about the terrain! We too used wooden sticks and they worked great. Most of my group also saw other animals including a few Asian brown bears, chamois, etc.

Curious who Mirbala used as the local outfitter? Do you happen to know?

The 1st annual European Olympic Games were concluding when we left Baku so the airport was crazy busy, but no trouble at all taking our trophies with us.

1796dscn0100.jpg

nice ram! congrats. good to know that you were able to get out with no problems even with the games going on.

I didn't pick up too much info on the local outfitter there but I know that we met a man named Elshad (i think is how you spell it) and he seemed to control all the hunting in the Sheki region.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom