B&C Black Bear

D

DeerKing

Here is a friends bear taken in Sask. about a week ago. Should make B&C if it doesn't shrink to much. How much does a bear skull usually shrink in 60 days??
fc1edeb5.jpg

fc1edeb7.jpg

dang that's a nice bear. like that brown color phase. killed one with my bow a few years ago that color and the @$%#&in' taxidermist i took it too left town with it. no good sob.

If you are worried about shrinkage don't let the taxidermist boil it or bleach it. It should only shrink 1/4 to 1/2 inch in 60 days. That is a super bear, good job.

Ed, www.swhounds.com

Nice bear dude!! If it shrinks half as much as Ed's "little boar" did when he jumped in that mountain lake near bear camp last year, you ain't gonna make the books buddy!!! ;-)

Great bear pic!!!

Holy chit! That thing is HUGE! Congrat's to your friend,do you know how much it weighed? Thanks for sharing the pics.

That is a great bear! Nice color too! A friend of mine took one like that a few years ago, I am going to try to scrounge up a couple of photos of some of the HUGE bears that have been taken here in northern Ca.I know of two that you will have to see to believe!both squared over 8ft!!!One would be top 10 B&C if the guy didn't shoot a chunk of his skull off!Thanks for the pics!----(HunterHarry)

Jeff,Kameal's bear she shot only dropped 3/16 of an inch.So it should'nt lose that much.Tell Jim to have someone with beetles clean it rather than boiling it.
Brian

Nice bear. Do NOT ever boil any skull. That is a method that should no longer be used by any good taxidermist. Boiling a skull is very hard on it not to mention that you will loose all the small sinus bones in the nasal cavity. Most teeth will crack and they do shrink much more when boiled. Freeze the skull for the 60 day drying period, it won't shrink at all. Then send it to one of the companies that specialize in Dermestid Beetles. Custom Osteo, Skull Taxidermy and Skulls Unlimited are three good ones to use. They charge about $50-75 to do a bear skull and it will turn out much nicer then any boiling job. Dean Hendrickson, Wildman Taxidermy.

DeerKing,
That is a whopper, no doubt about it. Beautiful hide as well. Congrats to your buddy! We've got some toads like that around here and I hope to nail a few in the next few weeks (If my hunters don't miss. LOL!)

Dang man that is a huge bear!! If anyone is interested in killing bears that size let me or deerking know. we have taken this one and 3 others of similar size in the last 3 years.

beetles are the best for cleaning. i have a bug box and it works great. to score the bear it has to be fairly clean of meat and skin. a friend of mine killed the world record archery bear in no. calif a few years back ill find photos and post. good bear congrats

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom