Back From the Greys

WVHUNTER

Very Active Member
WyomingMuleDeer012.jpg

WyomingMuleDeer010.jpg

I just got back from the Greys River where I hunted with Greys River Trophies. I shot this buck the first day of my hunt.

This isn't a huge buck by Greys River standards but this was my first mule deer hunt and I am happy with him.

I was there going into the second week of the season and there hadn't been a lot of bucks taken and no real monsters that anyone knew about.

The weather was unusually warm and hunting pressure was heavier than normal. The bucks seemed to be back in the timber and not showing themselves much during the day time.

Hey as long as you happy it don't matter much what anyone else thinks.
He a good looking buck and heck of alot bigger then my first Muley.
How did you like the little hills they have out west. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Those "little hills" are a bit taller than the ones I am familiar with. Wasn't a surprise though because I had elk hunted in Western Wyoming before.

Beautiful buck. That looks like some great country...by that I mean Up and Down. LOL. Congrats on your first.

For you Western guys amusement I will give you the play by play of my hunt.

Out of bed at 4:00 AM , it's raining, going to leave camp at 5:00 but wait around until 5:30 due to the rain, trailer the horses a mile or two down the road. Stops raining just as we mount up, weathers warm, low 40's. Ride in the dark for a while and see a cow moose just as it's getting daylight. Keep riding, ride through bugling bull elk on each side of us, 100-150 yards away. Finally get to the high basins where it opens up and the mule deer are supposed to be, see one doe, next basin nothing, third basin nothing.

Decide to ride up a brushy point and see if we can kick one out. Guide sees two bucks take off, I don't see them but guide says one is a shooter. Try to get off the horse in a hurry, foot hangs a little it the stirrup and when it comes loose I fall on my rear, no harm done. (Now I am 5'-8" tall with short legs and I am given this draft horse to ride, the stirrups are about at the top of my shoulders, now 20 years ago I could have lifted my legs that high but at 57 they don't go that high. So I have been jumping off the horse and finding rocks to stand on to get on him.) Bucks have hung up behind some spruce trees. Get my rifle out of scabbard and chamber a round, get shooting sticks out and sit down. Ask guide if the deer were above or below a line where the vegetation changed and he says they are right at the line. Looking across the valley(that I would call a hollow) it looks like a long way but get the range finder out and it's only 200 yds. Waited for what seemed like an hour but was probably a couple of minutes and the bucks came out. Get them in the scope but one is behind the other, then the biggest one steps forward and I put the crosshairs on him and pull the trigger, he takes off up the hill for about 20 yards and then comes rolling back down, hunts over. Look at my watch and it's 9:30. Get back to camp about 2:30.

We rode in about five miles and gained about 2,000 feet in elevation. Camp elevation was at 7,100 and killed the deer at about 9,000.

WVHUNTER,
I was there on the first hunt, who was your guide ? I have hunted with them 6 times, great people and a great camp. I am going back Oct 3rd, to hunt the last few days, it was warm when I was there, saw a lot of bucks, just not any that I would call a shooter. Great story and a fine deer, congrats to you.
Dave

" Just Livin' the Dream "

Congrats on a fine buck & thanks for the story. I'm planning a hunt in that same area in the near future, can't wait!

7 Mag

LAST EDITED ON Sep-27-09 AT 06:56AM (MST)[p]Nice buck, congrats!

sent you a PM...

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom