Back from Wyoming!

H

hornsoup

I went to Wyoming this past weekend for speed goats,and to scout for deer.Saturday morning I hit it early,covering country and glassing.At about 8:30 in the morning, After looking at about 25 bucks! I see the one I want to harvest,he is heading on a direct path with the road I'm driving on.He has about 8 does and he is bringing up the rear.I speed up to get closer where they will cross the road.As I speed up they speed up.By the time they cross the road I'm doing about 45 and the goats are doing about 50.Funny how that works?Any way I slam on the brakes,Jump out and fire of a round at a buck doing 50 plus, needless to say I missed.I chase this buck for the next 5 miles or so and a half a box of bullets before I abandon the chase.With my tail between my legs I head to higher ground to look for deer and (save some bullets for later) for my upcoming hunt.After looking for deer I head back down to look for the goat.I stop by the trailer for a snack and head back out to look for the one I missed before.I get about a half mile down the road and there he is again.He runs down this little draw and he is gone,then I see the does coming out of the draw I get out the rangefinder and get a reading 356.I get set up and watch as the does come out.Finally he walks out,stops and looks at me broadside!I squeeze the trigger.Dust flyes up behind him,I start swearing and cussing and jack another shell in.Now I remember the last time I shot at him on a full run and as I am trying to get a lead on him he starts to slow down,slower and slower and he does that back flip that goats do and he is down!Now I am one happy hunter.I walk over to him and he gets bigger the closer I get.I knew he was good but not that good.Any guesses on a score?

94852010_antelope_and_coles_b-day_053.jpg

63372010_antelope_and_coles_b-day_042.jpg

I have no idea what he scores. But know well enough that hes a definite shooter. I wouldnt think twice. Sounds like an awesome hunt, 25 bucks by 8 am! Congrats.

Nice pronghorn and congratulations.

No disrespect, but chasing them in the truck and "jumping out of the truck and shooting" sounds like firing from a county road, which is illegal. A few years back we about got a ticket up there from a fish cop for shooting off a fence post on the side of the road. I think the law requires you to be a certain distance from the road.
Anyway, I don't know the full account and I wasn't there, but I'm just sayin', be careful about your story, for what that is worth.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-10 AT 09:43AM (MST)[p]"I speed up to get closer where they will cross the road. As I speed up they speed up. By the time they cross the road I'm doing about 45 and the goats are doing about 50.Funny how that works? Any way I slam on the brakes, Jump out and fire of a round at a buck doing 50 plus, needless to say I missed. I chase this buck for the next 5 miles or so and a half a box of bullets before I abandon the chase. With my tail between my legs I head to higher ground to look for deer and (save some bullets for later) for my upcoming hunt.After looking for deer I head back down to look for the goat.I stop by the trailer for a snack and head back out to look for the one I missed before. I get about a half mile down the road and there he is again. He runs down this little draw and he is gone, then I see the does coming out of the draw I get out the rangefinder and get a reading 356. I get set up and watch as the does come out. Finally he walks out, stops and looks at me broadside! I squeeze the trigger. Dust flyes up behind him, I start swearing and cussing and jack another shell in. Now I remember the last time I shot at him on a full run and as I am trying to get a lead on him he starts to slow down, slower and slower and he does that back flip that goats do and he is down! Now I am one happy hunter. I walk over to him and he gets bigger the closer I get. I knew he was good but not that good.Any guesses on a score?

Beautiful buck. Too bad he was taken by a road hunter though. Guys like this are the ones who ruin it for those who enjoy hunting. What a frikkin joke. It's a seriously funny story though it might need to be polished for the Eastman's Journal or Huntin Fool article. I hope he's sponsored by the camo company, as it sounds like full camo was a requirement to this extreme DIY backcountry hardcore adventure.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-10 AT 12:09PM (MST)[p]Great goat congrats. I would say it scores around 84 gross.

I'm not too worried about shooting near a road. I question shooting at an animal running 50 MPH. Did you really think you were going to shoot him in the vitals? Were you just trying to put a bullet in him anywhere if possible? Is that the best thing to do? How about watching where he goes and put on a sneak on him, shooting him in the vitals.

He will make a great mount.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-10 AT 03:39PM (MST)[p]Nice buck for sure, they are tough to score but I bet he is all of 83-84?? I'm probably low though

Spaz, the name fits!I guess you would just watch a 87" goat run off in to the sunset,and not take a shot.Yea right.I like to hunt because it makes me excited,maybe I dont always make the best decisions but I was not going to just watch him run out of sight.

Greg,back to my other reply about getting excited and making bad decisions.Thats all I will say!

you chased this buck for five miles and emptied a half a box of bullets at him... were you "chasing" him with your truck?
I suspect a chat with a game warden may be in your future.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-10 AT 08:20PM (MST)[p]>I went to Wyoming this past
>weekend for speed goats,and to
>scout for deer.Saturday morning I
>hit it early,covering country and
>glassing.At about 8:30 in the
>morning, After looking at about
>25 bucks! I see the
>one I want to harvest,he
>is heading on a direct
>path with the road I'm
>driving on.He has about 8
>does and he is bringing
>up the rear.I speed up
>to get closer where they
>will cross the road.As I
>speed up they speed up.By
>the time they cross the
>road I'm doing about 45
>and the goats are doing
>about 50.Funny how that works?Any
>way I slam on the
>brakes,Jump out and fire of
>a round at a buck
>doing 50 plus, needless to
>say I missed.I chase this
>buck for the next 5
>miles or so and a
>half a box of bullets
>before I abandon the chase.With
>my tail between my legs
>I head to higher ground
>to look for deer and
>(save some bullets for later)
>for my upcoming hunt.After looking
>for deer I head back
>down to look for the
>goat.I stop by the trailer
>for a snack and head
>back out to look for
>the one I missed before.I
>get about a half mile
>down the road and there
>he is again.He runs down
>this little draw and he
>is gone,then I see the
>does coming out of the
>draw I get out the
>rangefinder and get a reading
>356.I get set up and
>watch as the does come
>out.Finally he walks out,stops and
>looks at me broadside!I squeeze
>the trigger.Dust flyes up behind
>him,I start swearing and cussing
>and jack another shell in.Now
>I remember the last time
>I shot at him on
>a full run and as
>I am trying to get
>a lead on him he
>starts to slow down,slower and
>slower and he does that
>back flip that goats do
>and he is down!Now I
>am one happy hunter.I walk
>over to him and he
>gets bigger the closer I
>get.I knew he was good
>but not that good.Any guesses
>on a score?
>
>
94852010_antelope_and_coles_b-day_053.jpg

>
>
>
63372010_antelope_and_coles_b-day_042.jpg

Beautiful buck but it's not eligible for entry into the B&C book.

>Spaz your name fits you!!! Now
>you're a Boone and Crockett
>Official scorer too.
>
>Congrats on the great lope

Congrats on chasing a lope down in your truck for miles and blasting away at him? What a frikkin joke. This is why people came up with the term UTARD.

Maddog, it's uneligible because it was not taken by B&C rules of Fair Chase:
http://www.boone-crockett.com/huntingEthics/ethics_affidavit.asp?area=huntingEthics

Both pronghorns I took last week are eligible and I didn't have to chase them down in my truck, dressed in full camo. :D That's some hilarious stuff.

Spaz- tell me in the post WHEN the antelope was harvested where was the law broken? He never said he shot from the road. Maybe he made a long stalk. Condensed story aren't always accurate.Spotting animals from the road and then stalking isn't against the law, is it?
Now chasing with a vehicle is a different situation. Not enough info on the kill to come to a LEGAL conclusion

LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-10 AT 08:21PM (MST)[p]From his thread, it's pretty clear how he killed the buck.

Congratulations. Great hunt. :D

spaz,lets hear your story on your hunt.Then I will know how a proffesional does it.Be-careful how you word it!!!

He never said he chased the animal in his truck for 5 miles!!! Stop ASSUMING what happened.

Spaz- good luck on you 2 B&C bucks

If you getcha some new shocks and springs and a lift kit, you'll have an even better chase!

You must be so proud...

I really hope this is a joke. Hell, I assume it is anyway. I was almost laughing out loud reading that story and some of the replies.

For anyone else, please do not hunt antelope like was posted here.

It's called the V-8 sneak. Being from eastern MT, I'm very familiar with this method of hunting. It's damn hard on vehicles - but fun as hell. I've found that coyote run and guns can be quite expensive. I once saw a jacked up crewcab pickup with 4 gun barrels sticking out the windows, chasing into a herd of antelope taking turns blasting. Good times.

Hornsoup,

Congrats on an awesome buck. Very nice. Hopefully you saved one for me! We are leaving on Saturday for a 5 day goat hunt. Will let you know what we see for deer also.

Mike

Great response, sounds like someone is a much better hunter and B and C scorer than the rest of us. Does it really matter that someone gets excited and shoots from the side of the road? and just for the record I also hunted Wyoming this year, and personally asked the fish cop in Farson what the law is. His exact response "from a highway or pavement you have to be on the other side of the fence, from a dirt road, you have to be just one step off of it, and not shooting across the road". so I assume just because this guy shot a GIANT buck from the road you are upset and jealous? 87" goat, I would have no issues jumping out of my truck, and shooting (just off the side of the dirt road) its legal why not? as far as the comment about a fish cop talking to this guy soon, go kill something you can brag about and leave this happy hunter alone!!!!!

Hornsoup, Don't sweat it Man! Spaz, Spitz, Spick, "what ever"... won't be happy until you Photo-shop your buck and add 8 inches to the score. Then round up your groupies and have them tell you how great you are!......
Oh yeah,....... and don't accuse him of being from Montana. He's from West Dakota....and it shows.
Yak

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

In New Mexico it is illegal to pursue any game animals in a vehicle, road or no road.
Your quote:
"I speed up to get closer where they will cross the road.As I speed up they speed up.By the time they cross the road I'm doing about 45 and the goats are doing about 50.Funny how that works?Any way I slam on the brakes,Jump out and fire of a round at a buck doing 50 plus".

I do not know the laws in Wyoming, but in NM that is considered pursuit and you will receive a ticket if you are caught.

All that aside I would have done it in a heartbeat for an antelope like that. That is a fine antelope and i hope I get a chance at one like him when I go to wyoming in a year or two. I am glad to see that I am not the only one that gets excited and speed up to maybe get an opportunity to get a shot.

Great Buck even if you did do some chasing in a vehicle.

Great buck, yes I'm jealous. From your account I can assume that you then jumped out of the truck and pursued it on foot.. "chasing it" like finely tuned long-distance runner or more accurately, like an ethiopean pursuing a wild gazelle..

"I chase this buck for the next 5 miles or so and a half a box of bullets before I abandon the chase."

Then finally when he catches up with it, "I get about a half mile down the road and there he is again..."

Pissin myself..

This was an exciting story to read! Congrats on killing a great buck.

My only concern is not the legal side of this story but some ethics. I completely understand getting overly excited about the hunt, thats what keeps me coming back. My buddy used a doe tag this saturday on a doe because she was not looking too healthy. After he got to her, he found 4 different bullet wounds that were no where near the vitals and left this animal suffering. I wont make an assumption that you did any harm like that, but using ammo like that and not making clean shots shows disrespect to the animal (in my opinion). I wont argue with anybody else about my opinion and I am not going to say that everything I do is perfect. I hunt because it is exciting and I enjoy it, but also because I have a fond respect for the animals that I am hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-10 AT 06:48AM (MST)[p]Great buck.

And actually, the new law in Wyoming as of this year states that you must be 30 feet from the barrow ditch. Thats actually like 35 feet from the road, before you can legally shoot. Check it out for yourselves. Game and fish told us about this change while my sons were in hunters ed.

That being said, if you see a buck and you happen to be in your truck, thats one thing. If you use your truck to pursue them, thats another. Hunting Antelope in Wyoming is very much a travel and glass game. EVERYBODY does it. Its how you handle yourself once the buck is located that matters.

I'm not here to judge, just stating facts. Hornsoup can make up his own mind if he feels good about his hunt. If he does, great, if he doesn't... lesson learned.

Don't feed me sh!t then try to convince me it tastes good.

We can all agree on this, IT'S A GREAT BUCK! Congrats!
I hope I get a tag next year and find a stud like yours.

Zeke

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments, good or bad! Every body has their own oppinion, If everybody thought the same it would be no fun.

Again, thanks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom