Backcountry horse hunts

Gator

Long Time Member
Where or what unit would you choose to do a back country horse hunt in, one that would get you in far enough to be one of the few to be there. Archery or Rifle.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-09 AT 01:06PM (MST)[p]Hey Gator, One thing i might do is to consider an area that you might want to get in some scouting for a later premium hunt. Not sure about you but i've been putting in for Lopes, elk and sheep from day one and am maxed on points. If you put in for...say Elk every year in a certain area, you might want to make a deer hunt in that area just so you'll better know the country ahead of time for when you do draw that Elk tag. :) Something to consider anyway. Good luck buddy!!

The Warner Mtns Wilderness might be worth looking into.

Joey

I have drawn and hunted X5b and X9B both great units but not horse country, Me I'm one down on points drew X9B the first year of points. I was thinking like X8 or X10

Columbia Blacktail....Trinity Alps Wilderness.......archery in August.

BOHNTR )))---------->

I would be more inclined to pack in from D7 on the West side to the Crest. Or possibly D6 from Leavitt Meadows to the Kennedy Canyon Area. Or x12 to the Hoover.

T

>I would be more inclined to
>pack in from D7 on
>the West side to the
>Crest. Or possibly D6
>from Leavitt Meadows to the
>Kennedy Canyon Area. Or
>x12 to the Hoover.
>
>T

+1.......D-7 and D-6 Has some awesome high country...

Vantagepoint.jpg

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I will have to check on those area's,I'm looking for a area in Calf. that we can draw without a long wait , With the cost of going out-state being so high this year, I'm going to have find something closer to home.

The Trinity Alps is perfect for what you're looking for. OTC, world class blacktails, huge-remote areas. More and more popular but if you get off of the pack trails, you'll be by yourself.

I'd put in for an X12 or an X9b.....if you have points... and pick a D zone as a alternate option......Assuming that you are going to use pack stock.

Gator,

If you want to go in on my application, I will have 5 points and was thinking about X9A.

No_Eye_Dear_handsup2_by_paws_of_gt.gif

Alps all the way!!! Dont for get the xtra deer tag and a bear permit. Wait till monday after the opener and pray for rain! Good luck! BH1

Like BuckHunter said and I forgot, 2 tags. Plus thin those damn bears out a lil too if ya want. ALPS!!!!!!

You can second choice the Alps too.

Thanks for all the mail and information guys I'm busy researching right now thank again for all the help.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom