Backcountry Muley trip advice needed

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
Hey guys! So in preparation for a sheep hunt in 2024, I’m trying to decide on a deer hunt for 2023 to test gear and myself. This past yr I burned my WY points for a hunt in region H and it was a blast. I had planned to try for an ID tag but had terrible Wi-Fi on 12/1 and was unable to get a solid OTC tag. I have 3 pts in CO, 3 in AZ, and am also considering a general tag for MT. I’m open to any advice on what to do. I’d prefer a hunt that I have to pack in and hunt as I’ll be hunting from my back on the sheep hunt. Feel free to PM me if you don’t want to post publicly. Thanks in advance!

There are second season hunts in Colorado that you could head high in but depending on the weather, the later hunt dates seem to have some of the bucks already moving lower. You might also check out some of the High Country hunts, but I don't know if 3 pts get you one of those.
Best of luck preparing for the sheep tag. If you are hunting Dalls, a Wyoming Windriver fishing trip is similar for testing gear, except the rifle!

There are second season hunts in Colorado that you could head high in but depending on the weather, the later hunt dates seem to have some of the bucks already moving lower. You might also check out some of the High Country hunts, but I don't know if 3 pts get you one of those.
Best of luck preparing for the sheep tag. If you are hunting Dalls, a Wyoming Windriver fishing trip is similar for testing gear, except the rifle!
I gotcha and thanks!!

Hey guys! So in preparation for a sheep hunt in 2024, I’m trying to decide on a deer hunt for 2023 to test gear and myself. This past yr I burned my WY points for a hunt in region H and it was a blast. I had planned to try for an ID tag but had terrible Wi-Fi on 12/1 and was unable to get a solid OTC tag. I have 3 pts in CO, 3 in AZ, and am also considering a general tag for MT. I’m open to any advice on what to do. I’d prefer a hunt that I have to pack in and hunt as I’ll be hunting from my back on the sheep hunt. Feel free to PM me if you don’t want to post publicly. Thanks in advance!
Colorado muzzleloader, pick a unit that matches your 3 points.

LT you don't need a tag to head into the nasty places. I think you should carry our rifle and all the stuff you need for the sheep hunt and maybe go several times until you are happy with your set up.

LT you don't need a tag to head into the nasty places. I think you should carry our rifle and all the stuff you need for the sheep hunt and maybe go several times until you are happy with your set up.
Oh I understand this but when you live in NC with 3 kids 9 and under, in school full time, I don’t have the time to go west multiple times a year without the chance of bringing back meat!

Lt
Find the tallest building with stairs carry your pack.
there has to be a few hills around.

I would say taking trips in summer with family to locate access pts and getting the lay of the land could potentially save days on your actual hunt. My most enjoyable times in the hills is scouting, watching, and filming prior to the season.

I’ve spent time in 43. There’s a lot of country with few deer. The secret is finding the scattered pockets with bucks. It can be frustrating at times. Some of those deer winter in the gunny basin and have extremely tough winters from time to time. Sometimes the season dates for the early rifle and muzzy are after bucks start shedding velvet. They tend to head to the trees and completely vanish once they shed velvet. The other downside to Colo is the older age class bucks are getting hammered by late season rut rifle seasons on the winter range. Lastly, you’ll find that otc archery and muzzy elk hunters can be a challenge. It pays to have experience to figure out all of those and other details!

With that said, 43 and other colo units are a gorgeous place to hunt early season muley bucks! There’s a heck of a lot of public land and you never know what needle in a haystack you may find. The more time and boot leather you can spend the better chance for success.

I’ve spent time in 43. There’s a lot of country with few deer. The secret is finding the scattered pockets with bucks. It can be frustrating at times. Some of those deer winter in the gunny basin and have extremely tough winters from time to time. Sometimes the season dates for the early rifle and muzzy are after bucks start shedding velvet. They tend to head to the trees and completely vanish once they shed velvet. The other downside to Colo is the older age class bucks are getting hammered by late season rut rifle seasons on the winter range. Lastly, you’ll find that otc archery and muzzy elk hunters can be a challenge. It pays to have experience to figure out all of those and other details!

With that said, 43 and other colo units are a gorgeous place to hunt early season muley bucks! There’s a heck of a lot of public land and you never know what needle in a haystack you may find. The more time and boot leather you can spend the better chance for success.
This kinda makes me feel like the early archery is prob the best time to chase them regarding ease of finding a mature buck and seeing more deer. Is that true?

Last edited:
You also will still be able to get a general deer tag in ID when they begin to get reissued in the spring. Nothing like central Idaho to make your legs and lungs hate you.

Yep, early archery is a great time. Sometimes other factors like hot weather, full moon, weekend warrior hikers, etc come into play during archery season. Definitely a great time to be in the hills.

Save your points. Get a B zone tag or two,(true blue Columbian blacktails), a bear tag and hunt Comifornias Trinty Alps wilderness area. Go as deep and steep as you want.
lol this is truely a solid recommendation for sheep hunt training. it’s rough up in there. an affordable option for an out of state tag as well. california believe it or not has to deep desolate backcountry hunts if your willing to hike.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom