backcountry pillows

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Mar-31-15 AT 03:06PM (MST)[p]I just went on a overnight trip with my daughters. They didn't even use their pillows and they slept like a rock. I'm pretty satisfied with all my equipment except for my pillow. I've wadded up clothes and used one of those half circle pillows. Neither has worked too well. I'm open to carrying a larger pillow, any suggestions?

For camping, I'll take all the pillows I want.
For backpacking, I use a half-sized, zippered, pillow case with my clothing rolled up in it since I can then have a pillow with zero added weight.
Zeke

I'm using this ThermaRest for backpacking. I like it.

4879img_6258.jpg

7001img_6259.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

>For camping, I'll take all the
>pillows I want.
>For backpacking, I use a half-sized,
>zippered, pillow case with my
>clothing rolled up in it
>since I can then have
>a pillow with zero added
>weight.
>Zeke

Great idea Zeke!

Traditional >>>------->

Thanks for all the ideas. Zeke where do you get a bag like that? Boot, I thought about doing the same thing. Founder does that pillow stay puffed up and offer good support?

At one time I used clothes as a pillow, but there's no "puff" to clothes at all and it was uncomfortable. Me pillow puffs up nice. Takes a hour or so though. I still have a hard time sleeping.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

I use the same thing that founder does. I just have to have a good pillow on back pack hunts.
I also recently tried the blow up pillow from Klymit.
I also really liked it.

So?

Nobody can Rough it without a Piller?

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

I usually take a down vest with me on my Back Country hunts. My Big Agnes sleeping bag has a little "Pillow Pocket" and I use that to stuff the vest into with my shirt I will wear the next day. This gives me some warmth, loft, and keeps my shirt toasty for those cool mornings.

?-ERock-> ?

Bought a good cabelas bag years ago said it came with a pillow. Got home, no pillow. Call em up, hey what's the deal? Turn yer stuff sack inside out, fleece on the inside now on the outside, stuff it with clothes presto pillow. Works great!

I use a Cocoon air core pillow, I find it better than using my extra clothes and takes up next to no weight or space. Still nothing beats a full size pillow.

There's plenty of backcountry pillow biters on this forum that can give you an answer. I doubt many of them use inflatables ;-)

>There's plenty of backcountry pillow biters
>on this forum that can
>give you an answer. I
>doubt many of them use
>inflatables ;-)

Don't let deadibob BS you!

His Love Doll doubles as a Pillow!:D

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

>Thanks for all the ideas. Zeke
>where do you get a
>bag like that? Boot, I
>thought about doing the same
>thing. Founder does that pillow
>stay puffed up and offer
>good support?

You can go to any home store and buy full-sized, zippered pillow cases (they typically go on the pillows before the decorative pillow slips).
Since they're full-sized, I cut them down and sew the cut end back up. This way it's not as big as a regular pillow and 1 down coat fills it nicely.
Zeke

RE: Aeros pillow (the best )

I do the same as EROCK with my Browning down jacket. I also bought the Klymit blow up pillow last year and use it with the down jacket in the sleeping bag pillow pocket over the top of the Klymit pillow. It was a great combination to give you support, softness, and loft all in one!

I use a Ziploc Freezer bag. Just blow it up to desired amount of air, seal it, and wrap it with a shirt or other article of clothing for comfort. It's lightweight for those back-country hikes and adjustable to your liking. Love it!

Wiggys pillow is an awesome camping pillow. They pack down to nothing and are puff up great. Check them out at Wiggys.com.

I have a wiggys pillow,but that thing is more slick than cooking spray and every time my head touches it, the pillow takes off like a rocket and I can't keep it underneath my head! ....But then again I spend half the night sitting up and making elk calls and such...a hunter's version of sleep talking/walking, so take this comment for what it is worth.

I ended up buying a piece of 3 inch thick high density foam. I fold it over and it seems nice, super firm, only cost 8 dollars.

That's pretty funny elkassassin.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom