Background Delay

Captain_coues

Very Active Member
I’ve been buying guns for over 20 years and never had a delay on the background check until today. What causes a delay?

That’s probably it. The place I go was busy. I thought the rush was over a month ago. I guess not. I was standing around for over 45 minutes and it usually takes half that. There was another person in front of me that was delayed too but it was kind of embarrassing when everyone heard it.

what state??....I have heard some in cali are waiting 20 days for a 10 day check....

It’s pretty quick usually. I would say I average 15 minutes from the time they take the paper form to the back room. It’s after that I pay and walk out.

It all depends...could be new information added to system. I work in LE and have seen many times the NCIS check cause a few hiccups. I have see the system delay if it’s the same name as a prohibited person but different date of birth, similar name and same date of birth...etc. The recent gun sales have also gone out of control. The sales are way up but areas where the NCIS are actually conducted are still in a COVID-19 posture with minimal staffing. Most staffing positions are contractors. They are prohibited from entering federal buildings during the pandemic. It has caused a lot of stress on an already stressed system.

I am sure it will all work out. The delays suck though...I have a delay myself during COVID-19.

With a concealed carry card in Mississippi they dont even have to call it in, just fill out the 4473 and take photocopies of DL and Carry card.

I was told just short of 3 days when I did the paperwork today. In Colorado. It was 15 minutes the last time.

According to my local gun dealer, there has been a very sharp increase in handgun buying in CA. So much so that dealers are having problems keeping certain guns in stock and ammo also running out the door. Most are first time buyers.
This increase in gun buying has led to a delay in background checks. In CA. we have a 10 day waiting period that should allow ample time for the background check. Well it got to the point it was taking two weeks or better to complete the background check.

That is until a certain attorney in Southern CA. sent the Dept. of Justice a letter telling them what is going to happen if they did not speed up the process. This attorney handles most of the cases for the NRA and CPRA when suing CA. for violation of firearm rights.
On top of it CA. recently increased the fees to conduct a firearms background check and then could not get the job done in a timely manner.
RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom