Backpack Hunt'n the Selways

W

woodtick

Anyone ever back packed in the Selways from the Magruder Corridor RD. I'm lookin into huntin the White Cap Creek Area

I have hunted deer and elk in that country and was just up there scouting the white caps for moose for my tag.Its about 16 miles from the end of magruder so you better be in some good shape. We took horses in... Dissapointed me for moose so we won't be hunting there. I did see a herd of 15 elk with a spike and a raghorn on the way in as well as 12 wolves. They were all around us. Up high looks like some amazing big buck country, however all the reports I have got say the ground doesn't allow for big antlers to grow. Other thing to be ware of is there are at least 2 outfitters I know of that hunt that area very hard. Anyway, good look..That terrain is every bit as rough as Alaska just in a different way.

Wood...I'd probably pick something besides Whitecap...World Class Outfitters hits that pretty hard...and..its just really, really big. You may consider hunting something closer to a road that DOESN'T have a trail head... just park on the side and head up a hill or a small drainage. Areas like these are overlooked and dont have big trails to pack fat clients into on horseback...

Big bucks are rare in the Selway...but then again, "big" is relative. If you would like a 24" 4X4 that is very doable. Get into that heavy horned 28 inch stuff and you are shooting for the moon... Elk on the other hand...there are LOTS of nice bulls in that country!

Good Luck

Thanks guys, i really appreciate the info. I knew there were alot of outfitters in the selways. just not in the area i planned on huntin.

WHACK'N & STACK'N
SHOOT STRAIGHT SHOOT TRUE
THE WOODTICK

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom