backpacking 62 deer?

wallhanger

Hello all. Been looking at google maps/earth a bit, and I'm wondering from those who've hunted 62 before if it's a reasonable idea to pack in a couple miles to hunt. I see it's not a lot of high country, which I usually associate a backpack hunt with. Was hoping to be able to set a spike camp a couple miles from the road for 2-3 nights at a time. Looks to be a lot of roads in there. What do you guys think? Is it worth packing into for the 3rd season deer hunt?

Thanks in advance.

WH

Yep.

Can you find Dominguez Canyon on your map? Is there a 2-track heading down from the top of the canyon from the divide road where you can park.....and then hike east down Dominguez toward the Gunnison River.......but hunt up on top of Dominguez Canyon on the east side of it? Can you hike down Dom to where the oak brush peters out and transitions to the sage/PJ/rimrock on the east side of Dom Canyon but still hunt up at the top of the canyon rim? Shep there.....plus undisturbed BIG muleys.

Also.....can you hike across the bridge across the Gunny River @ Dom Canyon from the GJ-Delta Highway to get to the same lower Dominguez country?

WallDude,

I meant to say sheep, not shep.

Are ya gonna respond to show yer acknowledgment of our assistance to you for your GREAT idea......or are ya gonna wuss out?

Hey you're right Whiskey. Wall quickly sent me a PM to solicit my opinion (which is different then yours). I gave him my humble opinion on his idea but have not heard back.

Hey wall? What gives? You no like our advice?

But it not that easy to to get in and out of that area.Some of those roads are rough then a cob. How the roads up that way now with mantaince of road coming up on the short end of the stick for the FS, wagon park area use to be a good place to hunt but it been years since I have heard of anyone going in there to hunt. In the Muley deer world the turn of a few seasons can put you into a good area or a area that has been hit hard.
Anytime you can get away from the majority of hunters it a better hunt.IMO

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

"Anytime you can get away from the majority of hunters it a better hunt.IMO"

I agree. It takes effort to weed those other guys out. It's one thing to say it and completely another to do it . . . But, spend 4-5 days out there making your luck instead of hoping for it. . .

Haven't checked back in a while. Thanks to everyone who posted their thoughts and pm'd me advice. From what I can tell it looks like there are quite a few roads throughout the unit, and we might opt to drive as far back in as we can and hunt each day from a base camp.

Whiskey- not sure I understand where you're headed with either one of your posts. perhaps my sarcasm meter isn't calibrating correctly. Or perhaps your just trying to stir me up. Maybe you can clear things up for me. The Dominguez Canyon area is one of the areas we've been looking at. All this assuming we draw.

Thanks to all.

Check out Barkley Cabin Gulch. Dont take a vehicle back there. I broke the steering column on my truck several years ago in there. Good luck.

WH,

East side of Dominguez Cyn. Not just the slopes above the bottom......but up along the top rim in amongst the top rim bowls plus on top of the east rim divide with the next canyon. Focus down the canyon toward the Gunny where the oakbrush peters out and transitions to the PJ/sage. Maybe even where the PJ/sage peters out and the desert sheep live.

Great backpack area.......few bucks, few hunters, BIG bucks.

Just how do you plan to access this area?

Whiskey-

Thanks for the pointers. Still working on how to access it. My initial thought is to drive as close as we can and set up a main camp. Then head in the day before the opener and stay. It looked to me like (at least on google) we could get to dominguez canyon- or at least near it off of the east fork of divide road. I'm assuming of course that those roads are open to truck traffic. I've looked at some pics of the area, and now I see why you're asking how we'll get in there. Looks like sheer rock cliffs the whole way. Is the cave park trailhead the best way in?

thanks,

WH

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom