Bad Falls?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
This tree reminds me of the one that i somehow rolled into after a ledge of a steep deep canyon suddenly and unexpectedly gave out with me on it. Though i took my lumps, i walked out amd i'm still here to say that tree stopped me from a good long go that i may or may not have lived thru.

7060bent_tree.jpg

I'd guess that some of you have had similar falls or worse. Speak up! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Had some bad ones in the Sierras.
Snow/rock bank gave way in the high country gave way on the trail and I went rolling with it. I stopped 150' from a 1200' cliff face. Cracked ribs/gunstock and some bad rock cuts/rash and dents in me,scope and my pack. Lucky my melon didn't get popped.
Took me 2 days to go the last 12 miles I hurt so bad.

Three years ago, night mtn bike ride OTB at 25MPH into a rock pile. Dislocated right AC joint (didn't know I had one until then) torn muscle in neck, and broke helmet in four places. Rode the last three miles out because I was alone.

Ride with a helmet, I wouldn't be talking with you now if I hadn't had one on.

Some of you might remember my wifes fall, 5 years ago, from her tree stand. She broke her C2,C3,C5, and C6. The neurologists were amazed she survived. She further amazed them by walking. Then after A LOT of work she Bow hunted and this year, With help from some folks on MM, her family and friends. She started rifle hunting Deer again. And was successful opening morning with a truly trophy, very special (to us) 2 point.

Stonefly you can't say trophy two point after knowing your wife battle back and not post a pic come one man we all want to share in the moment your wife had. It sounds like a true trophy and special two point to me. So post them up if you got them!

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

My Dad was hunting Copper Mountain out of Elko NV back in the 1950's. He was helping drag a 200+lb buck down to camp in really steep country. He lost his grip on the rack, kept his feet under him. But unfortunately for him he began ruining down hill. Faster and faster he wnt out of control in steep country. He was headed for this huge rock. He had his rifle slinged to his back cross ways so he could have both hands free to pull the buck. As he was running out of control just before he hit that rock. He somehow managed to get that rifle off his back and in front of him just at impact with th rock. He hit that rock with such force that the 30/06 Remmington pump had a chunk taken out of the barrel on the inside at the bore opening. Everyone watching it unfold said if it wasn't for that rifle reducing the impact. He surly would have been killed because he was going so fast.
))))-------->
Then for me, 4 yrs ago, I was archery hunting elk sitting at a wallo at dusk. I decided to pull the plug and head out. There was still enough light to see the trail and all the downed timber. In poor light I should have turned on my head lamp. I didn't realize that in that low light it would effect my depth perception. As I was climbing through downed timber. I stepped into an area that was lower that I thought and fell forward. I went down right on top of a broken off 1in branch about 4 inches long into my stomach area. Lucky for me it ws cold and I had on all my gear. My Cabelas MTO50 packable rain jacket did enough to keep that branch from leaving me there dead that day.
))))-------->

0wp_20141018_001.jpg

Here is the trophy, I wanted to post it sooner but she said she didnt want me to... had to talk her into it, bribed her with a dinner date.

Good for her to come all the way back stonefly! My fall came 2 wks ago, came off a 3 yr old gelding 100yds from the trailer to start my elk hunt. Rode him the rest of the way to camp and he got to pack his first elk! My arss still hurts! But don't worry mtmuley, in a few years hell b so broke even a guy that can't ride the fence such as yerself will b able to handle him!

How 'bout ones with a miracle ending? A while back, I was out hiking and I encountered a pretty rocky, loose shale area. I paused on about a 5 ft. rise to glass.I took a step over a jagged edge, and tripped. As I was doing a complete 180 degree flip, I thought instantly, "Man, this is really gonna hurt!". As I hit, flat on my back, I closed my eyes, bracing for the pain or whatever was to come. I laid there momentarily, catching my breath, then stood up! All I luckily managed to hurt was my ego for not being so sure footed, and a slight soreness in my left shoulder blade! Then proceded with my hike. Still amazed at my luck!

Hunting deer in the Bradshaws a few years ago. Hiking along an old mining road and stepped on the edge. Ground gave way and I fell backwards and landed in the middle of a huge cholla cactus. Stripped down nekkid and pulled needles out for an hour and those little pricks have barbs. Coat really helped and was totally full of needles so it went in the fire. Dat dere hurt.

Not a fall, but a very close call...My brothers and I were hiking when we were about 10 or 12 and came upon a large cliff at the bottom of a hill. There were big rocks all over so we started rolling them down the hill and over the cliff. I went down to the cliff edge and was feeling brave about standing so close to the edge when I hear my brother screaming my name. I turn around in time to see a rock the size of my torso flying down the hill and about to hit me. With my toes at the edge of this cliff I jump as high as I can as the rock hits my legs. I land on my back with my legs dangling off the edge. One of several times we almost killed eachother, but thats what brothers are for.

Horseback hunting trip in the Sierras. Last morning getting ready to go home. Took my horse down to the meadow to let him graze a little and limber up before loading up for the trip out. Went to ride him back to camp and he went into full tilt bucking then came over on top of me. As I was trying to get out from under him he kicked me right in my shin. I about passed out. We discussed options from leaving me there while the rest of the group rode out to get help (we were 12 miles in) to just sucking it up and riding out. I rode out, which sucked. I walked with a limp for a couple months.

Last winter right before my knee surgery, we were headed out on Fishlake to do a little ice fishing. Some guy on a wheeler stopped and took our sled and said he would pull it out in the middle so we didn't have to. We were headed that way when we got to bare ice. I had on some insulated rubber boots, and when I got to the bare slick ice, I started just shuffling along. I make it about 10 feet when all of a sudden my feet decided to check out the sky. I am a pretty good sized guy, and I lit full force on the back of my head on the ice. That Chit is really hard. It knocked me out for a second, and when I opened my eyes the sky was spinning. My son who was in front, turned around asking if I heard that big crack, and then seen me laying there, and said me hitting the ice must have been the loud noise he heard. I felt back and I had an instant lump on the back of my head the size of half of a golf ball. Kind of scary as a friend of mine died when he slipped while shoveling snow and hit his head. What sucks is I have 2 pair of ice cleats at home but thought that I would look like a sissy wearing them....

It's like it's in slow motion but u can't stop it and yer minds goin a million miles an hour!

I used to be big into backpacking. Our goal was to fish every lake in the Marble Mountain Wilderness here in CA.

One trip we had one lake to cross off our list. Hooligan Lake. The description said, "Seldom visited. No trail and considerable brush will be encountered. Rainbow Trout to 24".

Considerable brush was an understatement. After about 8 hours of bush whacking we had had enough. There was a big boulder field (free of brush) to our right, so we decided to take on the devil we didn't know over the brush. A big mistake.

Once we got started, there was no turning back because once you jump down to a spot you're not getting back. It's either go down or spend the rest of your life where you're at. Nobody in the world knew where we were.

Several places we took off our packs and dropped them down and then jumped and hope you don't twist an ankle or lose your balance when you land. We had no ropes. Stupid kids.

Somehow we made it! It was worth it because I remember the first 8 casts with a silver Kastmaster I landed 8 Rainbows to 22". If that's not worth risking your life for, I don't know what is.:)

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

SINCE US OLD GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT A LONG TIME AGO, I REMEMBER ONE SLIP FALL THAT STILL STUCK IN MY HEAD. WHEN I WAS A KID MY SISTER AND I AND A COUPLE OTHER KIDS USE TO WALK DOWN THE ROAD TO CATCH THE SCHOOL BUS ABOUT HALF A MILE OF COURSE TO SHOW OFF I DECIDE TO SEE IF I COULD DO IT WITH ME EYES CLOSED, I WAS SHOWING OFF FOR THIS LITTLE PORTAGEE GAL NAMED MARIA. THEIR WERE BARBED WIRE FENCE GOING ALONG SIDE THE ROAD THE WHOLE LENGTH, ALL OF A SUDDEN I SLIP OFF THE EDGE IN THE FENCE AND A BARB STUCK RIGHT IN MY THROAT I COULD FEEL MY ADAMS APPLE HITTING IT, THERE I WAS STUCK LIKE A MUDHEN CAUGHT ON A FENCE, A LOT OF BLOOD COULDNT MOVE HURT LIKE HELL, I SEE MY UNCLE TURNING IN THE ROAD WITH HIS RED 1965 STEPSIDE PU STOP GETS OUT AND SAYS NOW WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO AND PULLED ME OF LIKE A PIECE OF JERKY, TAKES ME BACK TO THE HOUSE MY MOM SAYS SAME THING WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO NOW, AWAY I GO TO GET A TETUS SHOT. BACK TO MARIA AFTER I HEALED UP WE WERE PLAYING AND SHE HAD ONE OF THOSE BIG OLD MANURE FORKS WITH ABOUT TWELVE TINES MAKING DESIGNS IN THE DIRT AND I WAS COMING BEHIND HER WITH MY KNEE HIGH RED RUBBER BOOTS SCRATCHING HER DESIGN OUT, SHE RARES BACK AND PLUNGES THAT FORK IN MY FOOT...GOT TWO OF THE FIVE TOES OFF I GO FOR ANOTHER TETUS SHOT...HAVENT MESSED WITH A PORTAGEE GAL SINCE...RAS

I fell 18' onto a gravel driveway and broke my pelvic bone in 3 places and my bottom vertebrae and dis located my left shoulder but I got my first helicopter ride out of it.

2311idiot.jpg

Three years ago deer hunting in WY. with my dad and little bros .
We were riding horses and 6 hours in and above timberline. My dad's horse was tired and just had enough I guess. Either way the horse did a 180 real fast like. In a spot you don't want a to have any problems in because to terrain was a steep boulder filled side hill. The quick momentum from the spin threw my dad sideways and under the horse. He hit his head on a rock and was completely knocked out. The hill was so steep he then started lifelessly rolling down the hill. I was the last guy in line but seen the whole thing taking place. Some how I had dismounted and ran to him only about ten feet into his roll down the hill. He had so much momentum that we rolled together about another fifty feet before I could get us both stopped. He was still out and was in bad shape . It took us twenty min to get him to come to. (I have never been so F-ing scared in my life.) after he came to we determined that he had a pretty good concision, shattered collar bone and a bad shoulder. I took my hoodie off and wrapped it around his body to stabilize his arm. Fed him some strong pain pills and put him back on the horse. (No cell service. I would have called for a air transport.) we rode together the six hours back down. I then flagged a hunter in a truck to drive me the rest of the two miles down the rode to the truck and trailer. Got the truck and had to back it up the road the two miles to my dad and the horses. Got him in the truck and drove him the hour and a half to Jackson Hole hospitable. It was almost ten hours from accident to hospital. The people there helped me find some stalls at the fair grounds so I didn't have to worry about the horses. They took great care of the ol man as well. I couldn't have been in better hands. If any of you know any of them at the JH hospital tell them thanks again.

Moral of the story.
It can happen to anybody any time.
Always Take some pain pills and first aid kit w you. Those pills saved our but. They helped dad just enough he could stand the pain of riding the horse out.

>DW, I can ride any nag
>you can put a saddle
>on. Apparently you can't. mtmuley
>

I thought you'd get a good chuckle outta that 1! Lol!

Backward twisting fall with my foot caught between two boulders. Dislocated the ankle, twisted the foot 180 degrees at the bottom, shattered my leg in three places and wrecked an already bad knee (got my 5th knee surgery on the same knee out of that one). Guts got me to the truck, friend got me to the Emergency Room in Salmon!

Slips, trips, and falls result in a majority of our injuries. I was surprised to learn that about 40% of falls over 6 feet result in crippling injuries or fatalities.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-27-14 AT 08:13PM (MST)[p]yep, just last week i was up in idaho elk hunting, standing on a steep hillside taking a breather, when outta no where my right foot rolled out from under me n flew up in the air leaving my left leg anchored in the ground and down i went all my weight on my left knee, hyper extended my knee, i thought for sure i was gona need to be dragged outta there, well after two hours of sliding down on my butt i was to the road... damb that hurt my doc wants to do surgery, no way jack i'll wait n see if it heals first ...

this may turn me into a road hunter........?........

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom