Barbary hunting question

bticked

This is our first year drawing for barbary and we are really excited, I just have a question for you folks that have seen some in the past. We have plenty of places to look for them but with so much country, do you get in a good area and spend the whole time in there glassing and hiking around? Or do you get in an area, glass around and move on to another area? Were going scouting next weekend and will check out several areas then but when we go for real, we dont know whether or not to just put all our eggs in one area. Thanks for all the help. Oh and if anyone wants to share some more areas with me I would be more than happy to listen or exchange info for other species in other units! Thanks again.

Ryan

sheep tend to move around alot esspecially when the shooting starts. i have hunted areas for a few days and not seen a single sheep only to come back to the same spot a couple days later and find them. i missed a big ram a few years back right around the unit 29/30 border.

So staying pretty mobile and flexible is best it seems. I think we may try to find a spot to camp next to several suggested ones that are in close proximity and just do rounds on em. Is it best glassing from the bottom up or top to bottom? I was thinking of getting up top and hiking down the fingers of the canyons glassing, is that a good strategy for these critters? Ive been pretty much skunked this year so Im really gonna put in some serious effort on this one. Thanks again.

Ryan

I'm not at the expert level of Paul or Stink, but I've managed to kill five in the last seven years (one of those years I didn't draw so basically I'm five for six).

I agree with the strategy of setting up a camp that's centrally located to several potential areas. It sounds cliche, but barbarys really are where you find them--they tend to move around a lot. I've seen as many as a 100 in a day during a deer hunt, only to go back to the exact location for the barbary opener and not see a single one.

My strategy in the past has been to hunt them like I would desert muley bucks--they seem to like the same areas, and it's not uncommon to see them hanging out together. They move around a lot, even during the day, but generally I find them bedded on the top edge of hills overlooking drainages. I always glass about a mile out, carefully checking all of the rimrock, any clumps of chollas, and yuccas. More recently, I'm starting to see them bedded on northern exposures, staying in the shadows of any junipers that are around; having a nearby water source tends to increase your odds. Also, look for fresh poop--it's rounder and yellower than deer and is often clumped. If you see a herd of ewes, glass 100 - 200 yards around them--decent odds that you'll find within that radius a ram in his bed keeping an eye on them. If you spook 'em, they tend to run for miles...

...one more thing: based on what I witnessed during the last deer hunt, if you can find a "distressed lamb" predator call, I think you could use it to call in barbarys. I thought such a call would be fairly common, but I'm having trouble finding one...

Dang mozey that was some good info! I really appreciate that and i cant wait to get out and take a look. Do you mind if i pm you the areas im thinking about and where we might camp and you can tell me if its a good idea? Once again i really appreciate the good info and look forward to heading out there.

Ryan

Yeah I bet its going to be real tough and with the year Ive had I'll be happy just seeing anything but I'm holding out hope! Thanks for all your replies. Mozey, pm returned.

Ryan

Mozey with 5 for 6 is getting it done for sure.

All good advice. Glassing is key, getting into remote areas, staying positive even though you are not seeing sheep.

The desert is a beautiful place to be in the Winter, so worse case scenario is you spend some time there looking for an awesome animal.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom