Barnes MZ Expander VS. Elk Shoulder

Fire_Hawk

I am using an extremely accurate 300 grain MZ Expander load in my ML this fall. I am loading 100 grains of 777 under it and igniting it with a 209 primer. Here is my question;

Can I aim and shoot through the shoulder on any size bull and expect it to penetrate through the vitals? I know I would be fine in the chest, but what are your experiences with shoulder shots and this bullet?

I will be hunting in thick and steep country for my bull and would like to anchor it right there as much as possible. I know that this doesn't guarantee him to fall right there, but it should immobilize him enough for a quick second shot as needed.

Thanks for the advice.

Firehawk

I would think it depended on the distance if the bullet penetrated the shoulder or not. I personally would not put one in the shoulder. If you hit them in both lungs with that bullet they will go down quick...I've seen 'em do it!

Good Luck on the Hunt.

fairchase , that is a good article . thanks for posting . I agree with above posts , try for a broadside or slight quartering away shot behind the shoulder . I shoot the MZ 250 gr out of my T/C Firehawk and they fly extremely well out of my barrel . In 02 I shot an elk at 14 yards with this bullet (100 gr pyrodex) and sprayed blood on both sides of the elk . Granted I was so close , the elk nose dived forward ...great bullet ...NM

Thanks for the responses. I suspected that these would be the responses I would get, but wanted to get a feel for what to expect of the bullet. I know with a high powered rifle and precisely loaded premium style bullet, many people shoot for the shoulder to quickly anchor their animal.

My largest worry was whether the energy would be high enough to impact the same way a rifle bullet would.

So let me ask this; If you had a bull quartering toward you at 100 yards would you shoot through the shoulder or would you risk waiting and not getting a shot when shooting this bullet?

Let me add a different variable. You have never shot an elk before but have hunted them for 10+years unsuccessfully? Does this change the scenario for you?

Thanks for playing along. I would normally hold out for the right shot angle, that said, I am getting sick of not shooting at a bull.

FH

The Barnes MZ Expander is a great bullet, and performs well for a rapidly expanding slug. I like to use 100 grains of FFFg Pyrodex P, or FFFg 777. They shoot exactly the same in my gun as the XTP's. I shot an antelope (quartering away) with one this past weekend at 205 yards, and it worked good, but did not exit. 299 grains left from a 300 grain start, perfect expansion, and recovered under the hide on the offside. I only use these for deer and antelope, but switch to Hornady .452 300 grain XTP's (hollowpoint) for elk and moose. At 100+ yards on Monday, a 6 point whitetail went down and the XTP bullet was a complete pass thru. You could also try the 300 grain XTP Mag flat nose (which is designed for 1600-2000 fps). I would not hesitate to shoot any animal into the shoulder inside 100 yards with either bullet if that was all I had, but like all the others, would prefer a heart/lung shot if possible.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom