Barrel Lenght

D

DBake

Hello,
I am getting interested in hunting, about 7 years to late when my dad wanted and tried taking me hunting but I refused, now thinking I should have started back then when we had all the time.

My question, Is a 22" barrel really long enough for acheive maxium performance out of your 270, 308 and 30-06?

I am looking at one of those cal for my first rifle (winchester or remington). Although my first gun will be a 30-30 lever action Winchester Model 94 or a Marlin 336.

Thanks
DBaker
[email protected]

22" is perfect for those rounds... I you were to go another 2 inches (which you would be pretty hard pressed to find anyway) you would only gain modest velocity, say 25 to maybe 100fps... not enough to worry about anyway. Those rounds are not desiged to shoot at extreme ranges but rather at modest ranges say 400 yards and under. Going with a longer barrel will also make the gun heavier, and not handel as well most of the time.

I agree with bambistew. If you really think about it do you want to be shooting ot to 400 yards anyway? Better off to be competent with your rifle. I know guys who practice at extreme ranges(500-800 yards) and miss 100 yard shots every year.

2" less barrel length is a muzzle velocity loss of approximately 50-100 feet per second. When I fire up the old ballistics software it tells me this:

.277 130 grain Nosler ballistic tip w/muzzle velocity of 3100 sighted @ 250 yards will be 13.1" low @ 400 yards.

.277 130 grain Nosler ballistic tip w/muzzle velocity of 3000 sighted @ 250 yards will be 14" low @ 400 yards.

Both calculated at 6000' altitude. I don't know about the rest of you, but I sure couldn't shoot the difference...

Hank

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom