Bats

Shep51

Does anyone have a reliable way to remove bats from roosting under soffit and keeping them away? My son has bought a house and just became aware of them.

Sort of how I take care of yellow jackets. ??
82AD8C79-A06F-4455-BDE5-F4F9624133C7.jpeg

Last edited:
Bats are great! They run into me all the time when I am reconditioning log homes. I have had many come out of nooks and crannies and stick right to me like this little guy... he was dazed and confused after getting blasted with corn cob media... but after 5 minutes he flew away just fine. As long as they are not getting all the way into an attic or anywhere else inside, leave them alone! I encourage people to put up bat boxes on their house... more bats = less biting insects on your patio.

Screenshot_20230626_225350_Gallery.jpg

They have made a mess of my place. Piss and chit all over the place. Shot one with a BB gun then added the blue light. That was 4 years ago and not one roosting there since. Fly around my yard every night of the season yet.

Bats are great as long as those rabies infested, flying rats don't live under the porch of my house and piss down the walls. There's plenty of other places for them to live, and they still fly around the house and eat bugs.
They have made a mess of my place. Piss and chit all over the place. Shot one with a BB gun then added the blue light. That was 4 years ago and not one roosting there since. Fly around my yard every night of the season yet.
Could not agree more with you guys.
My wife's cousin was bitten by one when she put on her boots (the bat was inside the boot) and the bat tested positive for rabies, not a fun experience for a 7 year old girl.
They stink to high heaven, you're house will smell like a dam meth-home.

Could not agree more with you guys.
My wife's cousin was bitten by one when she put on her boots (the bat was inside the boot) and the bat tested positive for rabies, not a fun experience for a 7 year old girl.
They stink to high heaven, you're house will smell like a dam meth-home.
I agree. The only way we got ahead of them was determine their access locations and plug them. It was not easy to do because they are determined little buggers. Then manually remove the guano because it reeks. Regarding bats roosting on the outside……….. no idea.

There’s actually more truth to Homer’s comment than you might think.

Can always spray some carb cleaner or Brake kleen up into the crevice they are in. That stuff usually gets rid of them. Just don’t smoke during this procedure. ??

Use to watch maintenance crews install a 18" piece of 2-3" diameter PVC pipe at a 45 degree down angle where they were getting in. Left it a couple of days and then they pulled it and sealed the hole.

The tube let the bats leave at night but they couldn't get back up to roost.

Use to watch maintenance crews install a 18" piece of 2-3" diameter PVC pipe at a 45 degree down angle where they were getting in. Left it a couple of days and then they pulled it and sealed the hole.

The tube let the bats leave at night but they couldn't get back up to roost.
After a hard night of work eating bugs....it would suck to get home to that.....

How Many Of You Are Gonna Admit To Trying To Shoot Them With A Scatter Gun?
Had a friend 40 years ago who used a 10 gauge for everything. Had a long walk back to the truck from pheasant hunting and he decided to lighten his load. By using up his ammo shooting dragonflies. ??

We have a fair amount of bats in the summer sky in my area……but….I have no idea where they roost. Been here my whole life with several farm houses…no evidence of bats ever in any of the houses or barns. This area is all active farm ground….no caves or anything like that around. Wtf do they sleep?

I agree. The only way we got ahead of them was determine their access locations and plug them. It was not easy to do because they are determined little buggers. Then manually remove the guano because it reeks. Regarding bats roosting on the outside……….. no idea.

There’s actually more truth to Homer’s comment than you might think.
The bats were roosting under our patio, in the back yard. Our neighbors suggested the Transonic unit, it works. I was skeptical, but not anymore.

We have a fair amount of bats in the summer sky in my area……but….I have no idea where they roost. Been here my whole life with several farm houses…no evidence of bats ever in any of the houses or barns. This area is all active farm ground….no caves or anything like that around. Wtf do they sleep?
My in-laws live about 1/2 mile from us. At sundown, you should see the bats pour out of his shop. They sleep right below the roof line and the walls. I haven"t seen them in my shop yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

I had bats pitching out of a crack in the exterior wall of the house. Counted a couple hundred one evening. Turns out there's rules - Bats are protected like migratory birds or elk. After they headed south for the winter (about four days before the rules said we could mess with them) we did a bunch of exclusionary efforts. Mostly filling nooks and crannies and cleaning out the place they were roosting. Silicone caulking does the trick. The following years, they came back to the neighborhood, but not in my house. Some do roost in trees, but they're small and hang like leaves/sticks so they're not obvious.

Just a little update concerning our bat situation. First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions and also their smart ass remarks..... We have found success with lighting of the areas that they roosted in. I tried ultrasonic which did not seem to have any effect. After seeing the lighting suggestions I tried that. It has seemed to work very well. The flashing suggestion is something else I may try if we have problems again.
Again, I thank everyone for their comments and insight.

Just a little update concerning our bat situation. First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions and also their smart ass remarks..... We have found success with lighting of the areas that they roosted in. I tried ultrasonic which did not seem to have any effect. After seeing the lighting suggestions I tried that. It has seemed to work very well. The flashing suggestion is something else I may try if we have problems again.
Again, I thank everyone for their comments and insight.
Thanks for your report back too.

I need to build some good faith within the muley community. I will be asking for suggestions in the next couple of years concerning my 19 mule deer points in Colorado. I have never hunted mule deer and will not even know where to start looking for a unit and outfitter. However, I have hunted elk in 5 states since 1991 and luckily taken several good bulls.
I don't want to be the guy that doesn't contribute to the board.

I need to build some good faith within the muley community. I will be asking for suggestions in the next couple of years concerning my 19 mule deer points in Colorado. I have never hunted mule deer and will not even know where to start looking for a unit and outfitter. However, I have hunted elk in 5 states since 1991 and luckily taken several good bulls.
I don't want to be the guy that doesn't contribute to the board.
Tell us about those elk hunts, the good and the bad. The Who, Where and When. The range the misses the hits the hell yea and oh sh!ts. Not a bad place start building a history here.

Bats are great as long as those rabies infested, flying rats don't live under the porch of my house and piss down the walls. There's plenty of other places for them to live, and they still fly around the house and eat bugs.

That is no joke. My daughter was recently in Italy and bitten by a bat while walking down the street. Apparently, most Italians are immunized against rabies and so finding the vaccine proved difficult. After three days she had still not yet found a source of IG and had to come back to the US to get it. After seeing how tiny her bite was, I realize how easy it would be to have missed it entirely. A bite by a rabid bat while sleeping could easily be a death sentence because I doubt one would even be aware of it. Now I pay closer attention when the insects and bats swarm around my headlamp.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom