Bear Handgun Taurus 444 Ultralight

wymoosehunter

I have a lot of experience with brown/grizzly bears in Alaska and in Montana and Wyoming and never really considered a handgun to be the optimum choice as a bear gun. I still believe that bear spray and a 12 gauge shotgun is one of the best defense combos, but a shotgun is too unwieldy for bow hunting or generally wandering around.
A friend of mine's father shot a griz last year with a 44 mag and it went right down (I suppose it helped that the bear was 6 feet away at the shot). Since I spend a lot of time in griz/brown country, I started looking at 44 magnums and 454 Casuls. I wanted a snubnose and lightweight gun since I spend some time on horseback and want it to be comfortable enough around camp that I don't take it off (cuz you know that is when something will happen). I ended up buying a Taurus 444 Ultralight 44 mag w/2.5 inch barrel. It weighs something like 28 ounces and feels like nothing is there. Right up until you touch a round off. HOLY Crap!!!!!! I bought some Buffalo Bore 305 grain rounds and when I touched that baby off, it flat kicked. I don't think Buffalo Bullets is gong to get rich from me shooting lots of ammo. But I think that it is just what I was looking for as a griz round. Hard cast bullets and a flat point. Penetration, and even more penetration. Just what I am looking for.

I read on the websites of a couple of other specialty ammo manufactures that this is the max load for the little snubnose as it just kicks too hard for a quick followup shot. Well I believe them now. But I think the hard cast flat bullets will be bad medicine if I ever have to shoot a bear. I wanted to try the 340 grain ammo, but I have reached my threshold. Even 265 grain and 270 grain ammo has a tremendous amount of punch. Anyone else have experience with a ultralight snubnose 44 Mag. Interested to hear what round you think is best for grizzly.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-11 AT 01:12AM (MST)[p]Well at least you seem to have found a handgun that will do the job it's intended for. I'd be surprised if when you really needed to use it that you would notice the kick or blast at all.

I went thru a period of time where i really wanted a 460 mag. In addition to the 460's, it also shoots the 454 Casull and the 45 Colt, all with the same cylinder which i would think to be a huge plus.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=225105424

I do like the weight savings of your 444 though i'd be willing to pack a bit more for an additional 2" of barrel. The 460 weighs a ton! Also your ammo is much cheaper and the good stuff should get the job done if needed and seems to me, that's what is most important.

Congrats on your new friend!!

Joey

Hey sage!

They say NIB!

Which it might be?

Look at the scratch on the Cylinder!

Maybe somebody has just been turning/revolving it alot?

Not that it matters,if you're gonna use/shoot it it's gonna get scratched!

Looks to be a Damn Nice Gun!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

I was shooting some 240 gr hard cast but jumped up to the hordnady 300gr. Seems to pack a serious punch as the recoil really picked up but not to the point of being unmanageable. Has quite a bit of energy.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-11 AT 08:48AM (MST)[p]Sage
last week I had the time to check out that pistol (460), My nephew had just brought one and with that muzz brake the kick isn't that bad it come back instead of up, more of a push backwards.
I was surprised on the size of the bullets they are a good looking round. I wouldn't have any problem shooting it one handed the recoil is that easy to control.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

wymoosehunter, I have been packing that same Taurus around the mtns for three years now, and as far as weight it is one of the best. Smith does make the airlight frames but they are way to proud of them. I just couldn't see waggen 50-60 oz of steel for miles. The snub also rides well on my hip while in the saddle.

In my owners manual 240gr was the max recommended. How did you get the lager Buffalo Bore to clear the cylinder? A Hogue grip did help a little- and I mean little! putting a box of .44spcls down it certainly will help with learning the feel of the gun with out the punishment.

Luckily for me I don't have to load it for Griz here in NM, I carry mine for cats. Got chased by one the month before I started carrying it. If it's handling the larger cast bullets ok, then just practice with .44spcl, then put in the heavy's when going in the field. If the ##### hits the fan, you won't notice them!

Gator, Thanks for the info!

Wymoose, ...and after some digging around, i see these 444's can be had around $600. I'm liking it more all the time! :)

Joey

ODD and Sage,
I used the flat point and they barely fit. The pressure is obviously high as they are very sticky to get out of the cylinder once fired. I will probably trim the tips of the bullets back just a little to make sure that they don't extend out to far for my bear rounds. I shot 6 rounds of that stuff just to make sure it works and the next time one of those rounds go down the pipe it will be for a reason.
Great advice about practicing with 44 specials. That gun was not meant for plinking. I found that I have great groups but it shoots about 4" low for my normal hold (balancing the target on the front sight). This is like an old H&K that I had where you cover your target.
I don't think that I will feel any kick if I get in trouble with a bear, but frankly, I think bear spray is the most effective tool, but inside of 3 yards, its time to salt the hide, not pepper it.
I paid $500 for mine, but it had 12 rounds through it according to the previous owner, he said it kicked too much.
For the money, this is a great gun. I will never know it is on my hip unless I ever need it.

Not much to gain by going to a heavier bullet in that snub barrel-you are loosing too much velocity to make any real difference.

The 300 class hard cast WFN are probibly the best in that gun.

Doubletap ammo makes a 320 grain hard cast WFN and sells it in 50 round boxes for a decent price.

The 300 grain federal castcore is loaded a little slower if you want less recoil.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom