Bear Question?

armybrat

I have been planning a bear hunt for 24-30 of May in southwest Montana. Just finished checking the snow depths, web cams in that area and next 10 day forcast. Needless to say there is still a lot of snow. This is my first time bear hunting and don't know too much. Do bears stay in there dens until the snow is all gone or is there a point that they have to come out and eat before they eventually starve. With the snow pack in the area that I am going high, the snow pack that is usually in April is going to be the same this year in late May, June time. So my question is will the bears be out because of hunger or do you think they will stay in their den until Snow pack melts more in June. Anther topic I have seen some dicusion on is which comes out first bigger bears or smaller bears or is there no pacticular order? A guy at work is convinced that the big ones come out first. Anyways thanks for taking the time to read and answer if you can help

The boars generally come out first, with the sows and cubs following. But that's a general rule, and there are always exceptions to that rule.

And they will not stay in their dens until June because of snow pack.

When it's time to come out, they will be out regardless of the weather. I read a bear study and the guy said all of their collared bears came out at a certain time, regardless of what the weather was like.

So it lead me to believe their "internal clocks" aren't necessarily tied to the weather.

But no, they aren't going to sit around looking out waiting for the snow pack to melt. Problem is sometimes in the spring they'll come out but not necessarily move very far.

That could be the problem you run into, that the bears just aren't traveling very far and thus much harder to find. Good luck!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom