Bear Question?

armybrat

I have been planning a bear hunt for 24-30 of May in southwest Montana. Just finished checking the snow depths, web cams in that area and next 10 day forcast. Needless to say there is still a lot of snow. This is my first time bear hunting and don't know too much. Do bears stay in there dens until the snow is all gone or is there a point that they have to come out and eat before they eventually starve. With the snow pack in the area that I am going high, the snow pack that is usually in April is going to be the same this year in late May, June time. So my question is will the bears be out because of hunger or do you think they will stay in their den until Snow pack melts more in June. Anther topic I have seen some dicusion on is which comes out first bigger bears or smaller bears or is there no pacticular order? A guy at work is convinced that the big ones come out first. Anyways thanks for taking the time to read and answer if you can help

From my experience in Idaho they will come out no matter the snow level. I have seen the same amount of bears in late April/early May with zero snow and with a large amount of snow. I have always heard the big bears come out first as well. I hate having limited access due to snow so I prefer to wait until I can confirm that some of the roads are accessible. Good luck!

I have hunted that area of montana myself for a couple of years. I talked to several local bear hunters and they all say you gotta wait for the snow to melt.

I went up too early several times and just waisted my time, really. Shot alot of ground squirrels and skunks though. Got to see alot of really neat country, very little pressure from other guys.

I don't know exactly where you are headed, but I was able to kill 2 bears around Ennis, and Ruby reservoir, if you want some more details, PM me and I will fill you in.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom