Bear Taxidermy Help

LoveBigRacks

I need some fellow hunter advice here. A couple years back I was fortunate enough to shoot a black bear up in AK. I skinned the bear, salted the hide generously, and had it in the freezer within 36 hours... (no plastic bag) I shipped it frozen to the tannery and when I got it back it was 'cured' I guess, but had not been stretched and tanned. There was a note from the tannery indicating 'hair slippage' on the ears of the bear. The hide is now real hard and I'm really bummed that I can't put it in the living room. Appreciate any advice anyone might have....? I've already thought of making fishing flies, a toupee (?), and adding to the chest hair :)

LBR

You may try a local taxidermist and see what they think about the severity of the slippage. Not all tanneries reject hides/capes for minor slip spots, and they may be able to send it to one who will process it. Then again, if the hide has been on salt for an extended period, it may be grease burned and the quality of the tanning will not be all that great.

Bowhuntnnut

Salt and freezing don't mix. Freeze it unsalted or salt it and ship it. Have hears a few cases where someone salted and froze it and they were all ruined. Hope you can fix it. Sorry about your troubles. Good luck.

My taxidermist said the same thing as cheesehead. Don't salt then freeze. Best just to freeze. I know it doesn't help now, but good to know for the future. mtmuley

Well I appreciate the feedback guys. I should have done a little better research on the front end I guess, lesson learned.

LBR

Sorry to hear about your hide. The salt inhibits the growth of bacteria, unfortunatly it also inhibits freezing. Best to just double bag the hide and freeze it. The only time salting is benificial is if you properly flesh the hide, turn the eyes, ears, lips, and skin out the feet. If properly fleshed all the fat,and meat is removed and bacteria is less likely to cause slipping. After this process the salting is benificial. Fleshing is not the funnest job in tanning but most taxidermists will flesh and salt a hide for you for a fee, even if they don't do the actual mounting. Once again sorry to hear about your hide, sadly it happens pretty often.

--Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom