bears & scouts on Boulder Mtns

heartshot

Very Active Member
Later this month I'm taking a group of scouts to Deer Creek Lake on the south slope of the Boulder Mountains.

Does anybody know the bear situation for that area. Few bears? Lots of bears? Is it bad enough that food will need to be hung?

heartshot

>Later this month I'm taking a
>group of scouts to Deer
>Creek Lake on the south
>slope of the Boulder Mountains.
>
>
>Does anybody know the bear situation
>for that area. Few
>bears? Lots of bears?
>Is it bad enough that
>food will need to be
>hung?
>
>heartshot

I Wouldn't leave Food Laying around on any Mountain!

Unless I Was Wanting to See/Experience Bears!:D

[Font][Font color = "blue"]Ah yes we have insider trading and computer dating but I never goin for that!
Ain't no machine pickin out my Queen cause it may not have all the facts!
I've got my own taste and my own ways I'd rather not talk about
and my private life is my private life and they ain't gonna find out!

In the backcountry of Yellowstone I hang up my food.

In Utah I keep the food cleaned up but I have never hung it. I've had a couple different people, in learning that we are headed to the Boulder Mtns, warn me that we better hang our food at night. When pressed for more information, they have never been there before, just heard that bears were bad.

I've car camped it on the East end a few time but bears never even crossed my mind.

Just trying to get a feel if bears will be pretty likely (high risk) or just a slight slim chance (low risk).

LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-17 AT 03:41PM (MST)[p]
Once upon a time!

We got to SJ the First Night!

Quickly Pitched a Tent & Set a couple Frozen Packages of T-Bones out to Thaw!(Thinking We Gonna Eat Like Kings the 1st Night!:D)

Went Looking for Elk!

When we pulled in to Camp later that Night We See a Bear Rip out of Camp in the HeadLights!

No T-Bones that Night Guys!

Or any other Night!

You'll hear Guys say Bears Won't eat Fresh Meat!

I Learned Many Years ago!

If & When a Bear is Hungry!

He'll Eat damn near anything!

He Was Back in Camp nearly every Night!

We Were Catching Oil off Our Camp Chef in a MT DEW Can!

That's All I'd leave Him!

Poor Bastage thought He was Gettin a Free DEW!:D

[Font][Font color = "blue"]Ah yes we have insider trading and computer dating but I never goin for that!
Ain't no machine pickin out my Queen cause it may not have all the facts!
I've got my own taste and my own ways I'd rather not talk about
and my private life is my private life and they ain't gonna find out!

We take our scouts hiking and fishing on the Boulders every year. Even had to hike in at night before. It is bear country. Just treat it so and use cation and you will be fine. If you tell the boys enough bear stories they want even keep a cracker in there tent . :)

Few bears but I would hang food. The few that I have seen were high by small lakes right after ice out.

Rodents can be bad so if it's not in a hard case u would want it hung anyways.

Boulder has as many or more bear than any mountain in South Central Utah. My son hunted bear on the East and the South end of the Boulder a couple of years ago, his trail cameras got a lot more pictures, of a lot of different bears, than you can ever imagine, when your just hunting, fishing and hiking the trails.

Do not assume you can leave food out in any camp on the Boulder, especially on the east end around Lower Bowns or Oak Creek Reservoirs.

Another factor, it is beginning to get pretty dry down here, with these hot winds and temps in the 90's for the last week. When these southern mountains get hot and dry these bears do things they normal won't, looking for something to eat.

Teach your boys good camping skills and they'll be safe, not only for this trip but for the rest of their lives in the outdoors.

DC

I was up on the South Slope of Boulder Mt last weekend hiking into a remote lake. A lot of fresh bear sign. Also don't forget the insect spray. B&C mosquitos up there.

Just a few years back, Couple of travel trailers lost their doors due to some bears breaking into them to get at some food that was left in them between seasons.
SO heck Ya I would hang the food and put the guy like the least right under it.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom