Beaver Elk Draw!!!

Just checked my credit card and found I got a hit, $795 for an elk tag, I got the one non resident tag for Beaver unit with a muzzleloader! I am shocked, I have 11 BP's for deer but only 2 for elk! I live in Az about 400 miles from there, won't get a guide (no offense to guides or guided but not for me), and have drove through the area but never hunted it. Was wondering if anyone has hunted there and may have some pointers on where to start looking? Sept 28-oct6 is the season dates. I will be going scouting several times, but its a big unit, a starting point would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and held confidential if need be. Thanks!

Congrats. I deer hunted down there years ago. Saw a lot of elk in some steep country. I'll see if I can find my maps and figure out where I was

LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-11 AT 12:06PM (MST)[p]Sorry, I haven't hunted it. There's a post in the general hunting area about your same situation. Lots of guys have hunted it on the forum...its just... Let me help you out (maybe you've already done this all so I'll post for the next guy), find the regional fish and game office, call them and find out who the local biologists are. Call them, most are willing to talk. If your hunt is on forest service...do the same. Find out who the local warden/wardens are and do the same. Buy your maps of the area, plot the boundaries and look at possible areas you're interested in. Compare them to recent aerial maps...water sources may have dried up...fires..etc. Once you have a few ideas where to start, then ask the questions on the different forums. This shows you have done your homework and you just might get some valuable insights. Finally, don't forget to thank those individuals by closing the loop...this is the most important part. I've gotten very valuable information from one biologist on several occassions and I'm the only one that bothered to call him back after my hunt (in over 10 years) and thank him because his info led me to a great trophy. You know what the 2nd time I called he remembered me and talked my ear off for over an hour helping me with my upcoming fall hunt. Same thing for the forums...majority say great I got this tag please help...we help, give info...post dies nobody ever hears from the new poster again on how he did after the season passes.

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-11
>AT 12:06?PM (MST)

>
>Sorry, I haven't hunted it.
>There's a post in the
>general hunting area about your
>same situation. Lots of
>guys have hunted it on
>the forum...its just...
> Let me help you
>out (maybe you've already done
>this all so I'll post
>for the next guy), find
>the regional fish and game
>office, call them and find
>out who the local biologists
>are. Call them, most
>are willing to talk.
>If your hunt is on
>forest service...do the same.
>Find out who the local
>warden/wardens are and do the
>same. Buy your maps
>of the area, plot the
>boundaries and look at possible
>areas you're interested in.
>Compare them to recent aerial
>maps...water sources may have dried
>up...fires..etc. Once you have
>a few ideas where to
>start, then ask the questions
>on the different forums.
>This shows you have done
>your homework and you just
>might get some valuable insights.
> Finally, don't forget to
>thank those individuals by closing
>the loop...this is the most
>important part. I've gotten
>very valuable information from one
>biologist on several occassions and
>I'm the only one that
>bothered to call him back
>after my hunt (in over
>10 years) and thank him
>because his info led me
>to a great trophy.
>You know what the 2nd
>time I called he remembered
>me and talked my ear
>off for over an hour
>helping me with my upcoming
>fall hunt. Same thing
>for the forums...majority say great
>I got this tag please
>help...we help, give info...post dies
>nobody ever hears from the
>new poster again on how
>he did after the season
>passes.

I hear you, I have had nothing but great information and nothing but terrific things to say from wildlife biologists and regional wardens in Utah, I had a San Rafael North antelope tag and they were tremendously helpful. Getting the right maps, looking at aerial photographs, Google earth, all are terrific tools that I do use frequently. And, I understand what you are saying about posting and helping others on these forums, giving them great info on places that YOU spent loads of time finding, but may never get to hunt again, just asking for some pictures of how they did, maybe a phone call, but never getting it. I have helped a couple of people on this forum and others with the same, great info that took me alot of time to learn, and can't even get a "howd you do?" response when seasons over, frustrating, but still I help out when I can. I know plenty of good areas on the AZ strip, kaibabs, deserts here in AZ, and if I can help someone on a once in a lifetime opportunity, I do, if they feel greatful enough to let me know how they did, really cool, but your right, most don't. I'm just hoping someone who has been lucky enough to have had this great tag in the past, or knows the area would be willing to be a blessing and share some incite and experieces with a fellow hunter, thats all.

awesome unit!!!! Have fun! Good luck. not real knowledgeable about good areas to start just know several gusy that hunt it and it produces some big bulls

Thanks for the help everyone, and you know who you are! Will keep everyone on here posted on how I do, got some starting points, maps, wildlife biologists to call, scouting to do, let the fun begin! I'm so excited!

I drew beaver archery nonresident elk tag I called the biologist that works for the fish and game answerd alot of ? About unit not alot of info on elk herd or quality I posted earlier on the elk forum had a few post but not a super Lot of info or hunt stories. I also called us forest service office in beaver super customer service should have maps this week. Goin to try scouting trip in middle of July. I live in Idaho and am supper stoked to see a Utah pig! Guess just goin to have to get the big eye out and wear the rubber of the danners to see what calls the beaver mountain home! Good luck with your hunt I hope you slam a monster! I'll keep in touch!

Post your question in the elk forum, you should get a few more responses. I would help, but have never actually hunted that particular unit myself. Good luck and have fun on a great tag...

>I drew beaver archery nonresident elk
>tag I called the biologist
>that works for the fish
>and game answerd alot of
>? About unit not alot
>of info on elk herd
>or quality I posted earlier
>on the elk forum had
>a few post but not
>a super Lot of info
>or hunt stories. I also
>called us forest service office
>in beaver super customer service
>should have maps this week.
>Goin to try scouting trip
>in middle of July. I
>live in Idaho and
>am supper stoked to see
>a Utah pig! Guess just
>goin to have to get
>the big eye out and
>wear the rubber of the
>danners to see what calls
>the beaver mountain home! Good
>luck with your hunt I
>hope you slam a monster!
>I'll keep in touch!

Congrats on the archery tag, from what I'm hearing we should be in for a once in a lifetime hunt! The unit is HUGE, diverse landscape and very few tags should make for great hunt. I can't wait! I plan to go up this weekend to do some initial scouting and recon, thanks to all who have given me some leads on places to start looking, can't wait til this weekend to get the work started, never been so happy to be going to work. Keep in touch, keep each other in the loop. Good luck

LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-11 AT 09:40PM (MST)[p]hey az

congrats on a great hunt really lucky to draw that one, i've spent a lot of time up in the big john flat area and have seen some elk up there. more deer than elk but have never really put forth the effort to look for the elk just go up there to look at the goats more than anything. it is some awesome country up there especially in the summer, my favorite place to go... up to the high country. well let us know how the snow is and if you can get up those high places. good luck!

nuge

Well, I just wanted to report to those who helped, and I was fortunate to find much help from some really great people, that my Beaver elk hunt was a tremendous success. I got into some really great areas, and was able to close the deal on a great (in my eyes) 7x6 on opening morning. I had spotted him the evening before season, got in on him at first light, and finished off with 1/2 mile stalk in my socks to get a 154yard shot which found its mark. Again, I want to thank everyone who PM'd advice, locations, people to talk to, and generally just made it possible for one lucky out-of-stater to have the hunt of his life with his dad. I'm so greatful to all of you who helped, you know who you are, and had a fantastic time. If you helped, I have more photos I would love to send you if your interested, and would share more specifics, just PM me, and if you ever need help in AZ, just let me know, Thanks!

P1040274.jpg

P1040389.jpg

P1040436.jpg

P1040538.jpg

Very cool! Its nice to see sombody who asks for a little help and gets it, then comes back to post up some pics and the story.
Good looking bull!

Glad you was able to find a keeper on the mountain, Great looking Bull.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom