Beaver Goats

G

G3

Just wondering what everyone thinks about the change the DWR has made for the Beaver unit in Utah for mountain goats. Is it a good thing or bad, how does it affect a guys odds, and should they have re-opened it to hunting nannies? Any replies are apprectiated.

I like it...give a hunter a choice between early hunt with good weather or a late hunt with longer hair.
Either hunt will have a better experience with less pressure because you spread the hunters out.

Hopefully the mrs with 14 points can tell you toward the end of September? I think the odds in the bonus pool will go down on the first hunt? She went from a 90% chance to probably 50-60% chance to draw?

I agree with both posts so let me add a second question here. Do you choose the early hunt or the late hunt? I think the late hunt is a better hunt but with worse odds. I am personally going to put in for the nanny tag but I just want to kill a goat with a bow and with the dates going through both hunts I think this is my best chance. Any guesses on how many points a guy needs to draw the nanny tag?

I looked it up for you. Last year you could have drawn a tag with 6-7 points on the two units that offered nanny tags.

That must be for the northern Utah units. The Beaver in the past was typically harder to draw when it had the nanny tags but I just wonder if now that it is split with two Billy hunts if it now becomes easier to draw on the nanny side. Thanks for looking it up though, much appreciated.

I am not sure I agree on odds first to second hunt? I would want the second hunt if I had the points. My wife wants the first cuz she hates rotten cold weather. As a OIL I would want the the best hair on my beaver (goat.)

I kind of hate to see the split. There were the same point holders as bonus tag in the max pool last year. Now, who knows what will happen? It went from almost a lock to draw to who the hell knows?

The early hunt should be the easiest to draw. The weather tends to scare most people away from the late hunt.

I guess it would really be a push for me, I would like the better weather obviously but the longer hair is attractive on the later hunt,

I think if there are the animals then allow them to be hunted. They used to transplant quiet a few goats off the Beaver. They don't need the surplus anywhere so now they will let people hunt. I agree that the split hunts will be better, keeping the competition down.

The whole trophy on a goat is the hair. Most guys (like me) can't tell the difference between 8.5" and 9". Goat guard hair can grow 4 inches in a couple days with the right weather. My opinion is that early Oct will start to get the hair on.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com

Does anyone know if there will be more than 1 tag in either unit for NR??
If there is only one in each it takes away the points edge. I currently have 10.
Thanks
NB

Hey neb;
I'm also curious as to the question you asked. 10 NR pts here too. The split really threw us a curve.

It says there will be at least one nonresident permit for both of the eithersex hunts, but no nonresident permit for the nanny only hunt.

www.sagebasin.com

Well, after 23 years and 22 points I drew the early goat hunt in the Beaver unit. After having my right knee replacement 7 weeks ago and my left knee replacement 8 days ago I have some re-habbing to do! Started pullung maps and looking for information. Planning a few long camping weekends this summer to check the unit out. Stoked!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom