Beaverhead or Diamond zone for Archery elk??

MuleyMinor

Trying to decide which one of these units would be better for archery elk this year? I am from SLC so will not have a ton of time to scout. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Don't know much about the Diamond zone, but if you enjoy hunting in a very crowded enviroment, by all means come on up to the Beaverhead,there's always a few raghorns running around!!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-11 AT 07:48PM (MST)[p]It's kinda funny, all these fellers will tell you to get off the road, and that you can't wear out a pair of boots sitting in the pickup, which is true, but there are alot of fellers around here do just that. If you think your going to pack back in a couple miles and get away from everybody you're kidding yourself. We have big non-res camps from Michigan, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Utah and Boise that stay for a month, and then you have all the folks from down south that flood the mountains every thursday night until sunday night! Did I mention that zone tags SUCK. Not saying that there isn't any elk, because there is, but after the early snow that everybody was so happy about, that pushed alot of bulls down on the flat for a drive-by shooting, it will take years at the rate these units get hunted to get what little quality we did have back. In fact they'll be hunting elk in parts of this zone until Feb 15. I guess it's up to you to decide what a quality hunt is.

AT least the camping is wonderful!!!!

Hate to burst your bubble about the diamond creek zone but its hurting too Between over saling tags and over hunting the heck out of it Plus the wolves are here now in this unit Well lets just say the glory days are over You probably won't find a spot that aint all ready camped in Same here folks from every state buyin up this tag for so long have depleted it along with the residents who ##### and moan about no elk buying a second tag and shooting another one You can still find some decent bulls but they will go silent after the first day of hearing all the so called bugles
Good luck tho

You can absolutely get away from crowds in the Beaverhead Zone. Some guys pack in, some hunt near roads, etc. You may run into people no matter what you do, but you can have a quality hunt for sure.
It may take you a year or 2 to learn it well.

Yea I have been told that Beaverhead is alot less crowded than Diamond but is alot more physically demanding? I will be hiking in with my 60 year old dad so was thinking we would just get our feet wet in the diamond zone. Bowhunt do you hunt the Beaverhead?

I'll stand by my statement above, very crowded! Physically demanding in some places not so much in others. After 40+ yrs of living here I've seen most of the ups and downs of these units in that time. If quality means size, possible, but it could be a long hunt, if a raghead is in your dreams you'll be fine!!!

I'm not sure but i think they put a cap on the archery tags available in the diamond creek zone Might wanna check into that early If you happen to decide to try with your dad send me a pm and ill try to point you in the right direction in the diamond creek zone That is where i live all fall !! :)

DRHORNHUNTER might send you a PM when i figure out what we are going to doing if you dont mind?Thanks for everyones comments.

You'll be very disappointed if you hunt beaverhead. Expect to see lots of people and no game. Even off the beaten bath. You think "someone will never go there, there should be tons of game in there." Fourwheeler and pop cans galor good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom