Bellingham Wa to Prince wales alaska

U

UThunting

OK dumb question and probably one that I really should not even ask but would it be posible for someone to drive a boat from Washington to Prince whales Alaska as I see it is a little over 500 miles. And yes I now it can be done but can it be done safley by someone that has never been on the ocean other then in a guided fishing trip....

Clynt if your at the wheel, it was nice knowing you. Just make sure we square up before you leave. LOL

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-10 AT 03:49PM (MST)[p]It can be done, as you would be running the "Inside Passage" you would be protected from most of the ocean weather and rough sea's as long as you watched the weather before you left and not take off when a frount is coming in.

BUT.. with no experience in big water it is not advisable...Bear lake and strawberry are kiddy pools when the wind comes up. 8 and 10ft swells...have 2 anchors and run for a sheltered bay ( which there are alot of.
Bellinghan - Powell River - Port McNeill - Belle Bella - Butedale - Prince Ruport - Ketchikan and then runn out to POW and cruise the shore for bears...

Alot can depend on the size of boat you are going in.. I have been on the ferry several times in all kinds of weather, so the size of boat is a big depender.

What you up to? going spring Bear hunting on POW island? Vancouver island has more bears...LOL

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-10 AT 07:14PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-10 AT 07:11?PM (MST)

Yes maybe bears but maybe blacktails and some fishing. I have been on P.o.W a few times and have loved it I just wanted to do somthing different this time... Here is the boat I have and yes it looks small but there very good boats

5834whitesportlx_rockhopper-3.jpg

here are some photos from P.O.W
6006img_0260.jpg

2046pict0383.jpg

5022pict0399.jpg

6893amys_bear_head.jpg

1153pict0411.jpg

1656pict0409.jpg

P.S

Deerlove

I will be taking out a life insurance policy I will name you as one of the beneficiarys to this policy this might just work out for you as it would probably be faster for you to get your money

OK, I justed watched the youtube video, and went out and put a for sale sign on my boat. Were do I pick up my new EDGE.

Not in that boat...To much bad can go wrong..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I know a guy that has made that trip a few times. He is a guide in Craig AK and lives in Idaho Falls. When I was there last fall we had 15 foot seas most of the time, and we were grounded by 25 and 35 foot seas for a couple of days. Running through the inside passage "between islands" is a LOT easier on the boat and crew but there is so much to look out for. One day I was in a 28 foot boat and I saw waves come completely over the boat. The tide was going one way and the wind was blowing the other way. It was the scariest thing I have ever done.
You would need good GPS gear and software. Places to get fuel, and a lucky rabbits foot, a four-leaf clover, and the lucky scrodum off an albino big foot to make the trip up there and back with no problems. But that is my opinion and that ain't worth nothin. Ron

http://books.google.com/books?id=M4dj5U3cYtMC&dq=woman's+story+on+the+inside+passage&printsec=frontcover&source=in&hl=en&ei=89eVS82_L6WrmQfCpfy7DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=12&ved=0CCsQ6AEwCw#v=onepage&q=&f=false

This is an on-line book about a widow and her children and the inside passage. As you most likely already know, running narrow necks of water when tides are roaring in and out through them make for strange water behavior that the timid have no stomach for. Far different than river white water or so they say.

If you go, make darn sure you know and understand tide times and their impact on the specific gantlets you required to run.

Good luck if you go, do the homework well in advance and listen to the local old timers, they got the goods.

DC

Don't have the time and I figured the tides and the channels are still the same, some things don't change much, strange as that sounds in our high tech world. I've been in a few of those raging tides when your going backwards and throttled wide open.

That Edge is a rig to die for, not to die from. What a fantastic boat. Wish it was mine and UThunting had a better one!
wink.gif

DC

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-10 AT 11:38PM (MST)[p]"We're gonna need a bigger boat".........

In the late 80's, I spent 6 weeks fishing
on the Campbell River, with friends who
chartered their 28' Almar aluminum cabin model.
There were days I thought we were in a
Coast Guard surf breaker......and I chit myself more than once!

That water is a duck pond compared to the trip you are considering.

Can you say "Bertram"?

good luck on your trip if you decide to go.
p.s. my father in law has a house in coffman cove it sure is a beautiful place. ive seen pics from his front room and the tide rises and falls about 20 feet.oh by the way he has 10 lots of land for sale up there ranging from 1 to 6 acres.his friend also runs a lodge up there its called rock haven have you ever heard of it.

Good luck with that! I think if you tried running that boat you might be in for a little trouble and wouldn't be able to use our place or get stranded on the mountain anymore, because you would never make it.

http://www.#####.com

OK sounds like its a go!!!! I am thinking may 1st and comming back May 10th Who is with me???????

you could drive to Bellingham, take a ferry to Vancouver Island, drive to the north end of Vancouver Island and put the boat in there and run it from there...saves you some boat time.
Thats a huge trip in a boat.

I thought about that but I can not figure what the costs would be to do that as there price lists are strange...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom