Bent barrel, broken stock, now what?

SaddleSore

I had a little horse problem on the opening morning of the elk hunt, and ended up rolling him about a 100 yards down the mountain, with my gun, binoculars, and everything else I own, strapped to him.

The horse and everything else came through okay, except for my gun. I found it a short distance from where the horse quit rolling, with the stock broken in half. When I got home, I found out the barrel was also bent.

I think I have narrowed my options down to the following two:

1. Sell the action and buy a new gun.
2. Buy a custom barrel and restock the gun.

I was just wondering if there are other options to consider? Which option you would recommend? Or, who you would recommend to fix the gun? I am located in central Utah.

I know there is an option to have the barrel straigtened, but I don't think I want to go down that road.

The gun was a Winchester Model 70, 300 Win. Mag, Pre-64, composite/stainless.

What do you mean "little horse problem?" I watched the whole thing. I would call it a "big horse problem."

We are "real cowboys" and fixed the horse problem.

You forgot option 3: keep you new 300 mag pistol.

I will quit teasing you now. Hopefully these guys can answer your questions and help you out.

I would use this as an opportunity to build whatever gun you have been wanting. There is a guy in Salt Lake that does excellent work. His name is Ray Federico and his shop is Nightowl's gunsmithing. Give him a call and talk to him about your options.
If you decide to sell the action let me know I might be interested.

Yes, I am from Lehi. I know of you and know your family pretty good. I don't think I have seen you since chasing pheasants in the middle of the now Saratoga Springs. Maybe it was shooting doves and you were with Lewis?

I am currently retired and just love getting on here and stirring the pot a bit.

Yep that was me.
How I wish I was retired! But at least I can sneak on here while I'm at work. Did you shoot a moose a few years back? I heard Matt shot a good one.

Yes he did shoot an outstanding moose. Me, well, mine was really quite sorry. They just weren't in there. You helped Lewis with his didn't you? His wasn't as bad as he led me to believe. Nothing wrong with it that is for sure.

Yes and he about killed me! I ended up getting some kind of flu and was sick for almost 3 weeks. He wasn't very happy with his but I thought it was a nice bull. I was able to video his bull several days before he shot it so that was kinda neat.

If it is a pre-64 M-70 action, I would give serious thoughts about a new barrel and restock the gun. the last time i checked, pre-64 actions were going for 650 bucks and you have a good start on building a new custom rifle.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom