best 2 way radios for deep canyon

shedhead

I have always hated using radios to communicate because it seem like I can never contact anybody once we get into canyons. Do my question is, has anybody found a good radio for hunting when there are canyons separating you and your hunt partner?

Dear shedhead

I will offer WATT I have learned in Radios but TUNE'ed to your specific question with a remedy, maybe.

First I would suggest searching the Internet to learn how various radio's and radio waves work and don't work.

All Cell Phones are actually just Radio's.

The best thing (my opinion) any Hunter can do is go onto ebay and buy used Police/Fire Motorola Radio's. Seek the highest WATT's available and recharging banks. Take time doing ALL research and possibly there is a Local Radio Business that rents Radio's out for Conventions, Football Games, etc... A Business that does such rentals will have their own Channel(s). Check to see if their channel(s) are used by Forrest Service, Fish & Game or anyone in the location you will be going to.

The ebay route can, at times, do the same job and you will own the Radio's, Batteries and Charging Banks. There are also businesses that sell new Radios and will have a person who can explain each model's capabilities. Just know ahead of time that when you use the word "Canyon" the sales agent will be worried. It will be understandable after the above "First" item is heavily explored.

Other's here may have better advice. I hope this get's you rolling.

Jagerdad

1st, thanks for the reply. Let me re phrase, I am just looking for a radio that "works" when you and your hunting partner are in different canyons, it seems every radio I have ever used, you lose signal as soon as you are in a different canyon. They say 5 mile range, but it is 100 yard range if a hill separates you.

Yes, they may.

This is why I wrote the sentence: "First"....

Unless you study VHF, UHF, and all that relates to "Radio Waves" everything will remain frustrating.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-05-16 AT 06:10PM (MST)[p]I don't know enough to say for sure, but I suspect Beartooth will be "line of sight" type of connections, so wouldn't help him in different canyons.

And they don't even start shipping until December of this year, and we all know how that goes. Uh, there may be a delay.....

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

You also have ham radio restrictions you have to watch out for. And I believe anything over 5 watts you have to have a license to use.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

You may want to get a Delorme InReach unit for you and your partner. Then you can text each other and people at home whenever and wherever you are.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-16 AT 11:52AM (MST)[p]I have found the best way to get away from this is to use the Garmin GPS Rinos, you can talk on a station as well as see the other persons location on your gps, and everytime they even think about hitting the talk button it updates on your scree, this is the very expensive but well worth it, these units are around $900 for two or $450 a piece. they are the rino 650 gps, problem solved

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Garm...20&gclid=CMjalMO9ls0CFQpzMgod9sAIuw&gclsrc=ds

If they would add a texting feature to those, it would be really good

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thx guys for all the response. I will look into all of these option. Though I don't think I could afford the rhinos, that sounds like the best option. The in reach may be the route I go. Thanks for the info

Rhinos are awesome. If you keep your eye out, you can sometimes find them on sale for a pretty good price. (relatively speaking, as they are still expensive)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom