Best Antelope Unit

Mbogo

Curious to know people's opinions on the best antelope unit in Utah. I had heard good things regarding San Rafael North in the past but now hear that it has slipped some? The West Desert units are the most difficult to draw according to the report on Utah DNR's website.
My wife has accumulated 10 points and I don't want to waste them on a sub-par unit.

Looks like you answered your own question....
"West Desert units are the most difficult to draw according to the report on Utah DNR's website"

Not sure what 'best means', but here's my opinions....

Most of the units of you will have a fun hunt, very likely to harvest a buck if you can shoot straight.

If best means more goats than anywhere, look for the ones with the most tags.

If best means best time of year, most of the rifle hunts are pre-rut to rut time period.

If best means trophy quality, those that take the most points to draw are likely the ones to put in for.

If your definition of best is the later, I would say your bigger concern is knowing how to judge and score an antelope, it takes a long time to get educated on that and there isn't much difference in a 78.5" goat and and an 80.25" goat looking through a spotting scope at 300 yards away.

Todd Black

Visit our YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/bulls4bto?feature=mhum

What you should do is find a unit that takes five points and put in partners with her and both go have a great time.

There are units in Wyoming that you can hunt every year that are better than most of what Utah has to offer.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-23-13 AT 02:20PM (MST)[p]+1 Wyoming is way better in quantity and quality of units you can hunt every other year. I've hunted both Rafael units in Utah, way let down. The quantity of quality bucks (B&C) is the problem...sometimes there's just one out there in an area and once he's gone, that's it. In Wyoming you just keep looking as there's another one around the bend.

I just spent 4 days on the Paunsaguant hunting elk. I saw 0 elk, lots of deer, and even more antelope. We saw 1 buck that was a 16 incher, 2-3 bucks in the 14 inch range, and the rest were 6-12 inches. Lots of lopes, and easy hunting. Only a few times did they ever spook off and run off. Most of the time they sat there and looked at us. Just a thought, but seemed like it could be a good unit.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom