Best Area in the Northern Region

BaldBeaver

I was just wondering what everyones take on where I should consider hunting for a northern region general deer tag. I prefer the standard spot and stalk type environment. Thank you for any help, I would like to get maps now and see where I wanted to go scouting in a about a month. Just have no idea as I have never hunted Utah.
~BaldBeaver

number one rule of posting on MM....

I have hunted for a long time and found my own places. I will in no way would ever point you in any direction.

You need to go out and find your own place(s).

I got a map. I got a new pair of boots.

I shoot deer every year.

thats where you should go.

It was a big bodied 2 point.

Wow never knew that was "THE NUMBER ONE RULE". You dont need to be an A$$. I was simply asking for general areas, not specific entry points and honey holes. I am always willing to find those places, however when you have to drive 7+ hours to get somewhere it is better to get all the information you can before doing so. Maybe if I was an individual who had enough time off to scout numerous areas up there, then I wouldnt be asking all these questions. Unfortunately, due to my military commitment that isnt the case. Would you consider taking the time to enlist in the military, so that you could get a new map, a new set of boots, a new rifle, and then you could possibly go find and fight for "your freedoms", i.e. your places to hunt, your right to hunt, your pursuit of happiness. Please take the time to be a little more curtious of your fellow outdoorsman, we are a small group, and often try to help others in their pursuits. You may find that your kindness may come back one day thrice fold.

~BaldBeaver

I don't think he meant any disrespect. When we are talking about general season tags it's tough to give out areas as just about every area is surrounded with the orange colors of the deer hunt, especially in Utah. Info. on a limited entry that most likely you will never draw again is more available. Most guys that only get the opportunity to hunt the general season tags year after year are lucky after years of scouting and their own research to find any spot that isn't crawling with other hunters so giving that info. is like asking for their first born. If you are looking for general areas look into the Cache valley areas, and the several mountain ranges on the far west side. Most everything inbetween is private, not all but most.

Where you coming from? What branch you in? I appreciate your service. I got out of the marines in 08 so i know where your comin from... P.M me i live up north and would be glad to point you in a few directions to bag a buck.

Me too......I may even point you to one of Snipers "honey Holes".....u may have to swim though :)

Great response BB well put. Its amazing how many people just shoot you down instead of lending a hand.

There are some public land up on Monte Cristo that you can hunt, if you are just wanting to take a buck. Lightening Ridge is a good place to start. There will be plenty of company and Northern Utah is not known for buck quality or quantity. But, there are opportunities to fill your tag there.

I am coming from Las Vegas. I am a SSgt in th eUS Air Force. Just left AFSOC, and am now flying MQ-1 Predators after injuring my arm on the 105mm on AC-130 gunships.
~BaldBeaver

I want to thank all of you (but one), for your help. I have decided to go with a general bull tag instead of a general buck tag. My buddy and I have never hunted elk before, but are experienced hunters. We decided for the cost I might as well spend the extra 120 bucks and experience something new. I would be greatful if any of you have any infor you could give me on elk areas. We are thinking the upper uinta area north and south slope. Willing to walk for 2-3 days just to get in deep. Again thank you all sooo much I greatly appreciate it.
~BaldBeaver

There are elk in every part of the uintas. They are low and high. they seem to get pushed higher or onto the indian ground as the hunt goes on. Hunted up there for 4 days and saw elk every day. Only one good bull and watched another hunter get there a few minutes before i did and helped him pack it out after he made a great shot. I shot a spike on the 4th day. Had a great time. As long as you dont expect to see tons of elk and big bulls, that would be a good decision. Cant beat the scenery and fishing in the afternoons too. Good luck!

Sir, I believe you just told me exactly what I wanted to hear. I am not looking for any huge elk, more looking for the experience, but an elk harvested would be fantastic. I would actually prefer not to harvest a monster on my first trip, not sure I would appreciate it as much...then again I could be wrong..ty all.

~BaldBeaver

>Me too......I may even point you
>to one of Snipers "honey
>Holes".....u may have to swim
>though :)

Ha ha... Yes if you can swim you will be good to get into my honey holes. Make sure you keep the socks and shoes dry though cuz its a long walk if you make it across the river.

I would suggest starting on the south slope of the Uinta's. Get a good map. There are a lot of good trails and if your willing to walk you can get away from the people and still see elk.

That is currently the game plan, although need to do some research, though the elk may start pushing towards Wyoming for wintering. Need to find out the estimated time for that, if it is indeed a fact. Im planning on a 10 day hunt so I will have plenty of time to walk.
~BaldBeaver

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom