BEST BARREL MAKER???

TheKnack

Very Active Member
Looking at possibly getting a new barrel put on my .300
Win. Mag.
Anyone got some experience with which maker has the best
barrels. HART / SHILEN / DOUGLAS or others???
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jerry

Hi Jerry
I have had good luck with Shilen, I have them in 300 Win. and 7MM Rem Mag. They both shoot less than 3/4 inch at 100 yards.
I Think this has something to do with how the barrel is set in the action and the action bedded in the stock.
I have a Buddy, He shoot a 300 Win. He uses Lilja barrels. They are out of Montana," Dan Lilja."
The others are probably fine but I have no experience with them.
Good Luck!!

schnider barrels out of arizona
thats who mcmillen custom guns uses for all their custom barrels

Kreiger makes a heck of a good gun barrel. I have buddies that swear by either Kreiger or Schillen. Don't own either myself but their guns are all nail drivers!

Good luck.

NvrEnuf

If it were me I'd use. either. Pan-nor, Krieger or Lothar Walther. I would check on availability first though, that might narrow the companies down.

Been shooting a Hart in my varmint gun, all I will say is "EXCELLENT!"

Hank

Jerry;
I have built over 15 rifles for elk hunting. Most of them were 300 Win. Mag., rest of them in 7mm mag about 2 in 30-06. I used Shilen barrels in all of them. I purchased my barrels already contoured, #3 contour from Brownells. Every one of those rifles were guaranteed to shoot 3 shots under one inch at 100 yards with Federal factory ammo. Every one of those rifles met the guarantee and several gave me groups down to one half inch.
Also the price was very reasonable for the shilen barrels. You will find it hard to beat this without paying though your nose. Go with the Shilen from Brownells. Just be sure you have a good rifle smith that knows how to put the componets together so you end up with a reliable accurate rifle. The best barrel in the world can not be made to shoot accurate if a poor job is done by the person putting the componets together. Your gunsmith should guarantee the accuracy, but you may have to pay for that guarantee.
RELH

Thanks guys I appreciate the help.
Now I get to have fun contacting each company and compare
finishes, rifle twist rates offered and installation fees.
Going to make my .300 a sub-moa tack driver again.
Barrel currently has 1400 rounds through it with full power
reloads and is opening slightly.
Jerry

Jerry;
Before you invest money in a new barrel, you might want to do a good cleaning of your barrel for any copper deposits. I have seen several rifles that had their groups open up and it was due to excess built up of copper jacket material. Removing the copper will normally allow the rifle to return to the point of shooting good groups. If it turns out to not be a copper desposit problem, then you may have a throat erosion problem. If this, go ahead and replace the barrel. For the copper cleaning be sure to get a solvent that is made for removing copper, regular gun solvent will not do this. Do not stop cleaning until the wet patch stops coming out of the barrel with a bluish color on the patch. It may take several hours and numerous cleaning until you get a clean barrel.
RELH

RELH-
I appreciate the barrel cleaning tips but since I am an ex-Marine
I think I do more cleaning than most. Actually quite crazy about how clean I keep my weapons.
1400 full power rounds I believe throat errosion is the culprit here.
Scope, bedding, and screw tension were all checked as well.
I agree that some do not clean out all the copper residue in there rifles since I have brought back to life many used rifles.
Good to see some of you guy's that really know your stuff.
Thanks for all the help.
Jerry

I have a Douglas on my 358STA and am very pleased with it. Shoots great and cleans up easy. Pac-nor gets alot of good press and the local gun builder (Mark Bansner) uses Lilja. All my other rifles have stock tubes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom