WY unit 98 Elk youth tag

My 17yo son drew unit 98 limited quota with the rifle season dates of Sept 19-Oct31... We've never stepped foot on the unit and we're looking for some GENERAL strategy (not looking for anyone's honey holes). My understanding is early season the big bulls are up high in the wilderness. Later in the season they push down into the desert.

How critical would opening day be vs first week of October (before the general elk season starts)?

Also, can anyone share any must hit wind river lakes for when we scout it this summer?

I know some will be critical and say you should have done your homework before you put in, but we were just trying to draw the best tag 5pts would get him before he has to pay adult NR tag of over $1k. I'll just go ahead and state the obvious.

Thanks for your help!

I’ve never stepped foot in it, but I’d be there sept 19 if that’s a rifle tag. I don’t care about migration or pressure or whatever when you can be anywhere in elk country with a rifle in your hand with those dates. Congrats to your kid. That should be a riot

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom