Best Book/Video for MuleDeer Hunting?

MichaelJ

Very Active Member
In everybody's opinion, what is the best book or video that has a lot of tips for hunting public land Mule Deer? Just wondering, I think it would be interesting to review and see how much I know, and how much I can learn. Thanks a lot. I want to try and get one off of ebay maybe.

Michael

I like the "how to talk to" series. I have read both "how to talk to the elk" and how to talk to the deer" books and find them to be very good reads. They are not only informative but at some point comical.
michael

I can recommend two books that I have found helpful and informative:

"Mule Deer -- Hunting Today's Trophies -- Pursuing the Gray Ghost" by Jim Van Norman & Tom Carpenter

and

"Hunting Open-Country Mule Deer" by Dwight Schuh

Later,
JT

I second "Hunting Open-Country Mule Deer" by Dwight Schuh. It's a great book.

faebfccc.jpg

Anything that Mike Eastman does, magazine, videos and book is awesome. check them out.

I have read "Prairie Ghost" as well and also many of the books by Mike Eastmen or published by Eastmens Journal.
Michael

So far it's a tie:
Hunting High Country Mule Deer: 3 votes (MartinHunter, I counted one of your posts as a vote, not sure if it was though)
(Eastman)
And
Hunting Open Country Mule Deer: 3 votes
(Dwight Schuh)
One more and it's a deal. For those who have read both, what did you prefer? Thanks again.

Michael

I have read both and although I thought they were both good I think "Hunting Open Country Mule Deer" by Dwight Schuh has alot more valuable info.Heck,just get em both.

faebfccc.jpg

Thanks for the info. I might just get both, lol, is the book refering to a lot of hunting early like September, with archery? Or does it refer to Rifle hunting as well? I rifle hunt, but when I turn 17 or 18 I will start to bow hunt. Just like being out there more, with less people, and longer seasons. I'm only 14 right now, so have at least a few years left of rifle hunting.

Michael

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-03 AT 07:43PM (MST)[p]Most of the info in Eastmans high country book would be for early season hunts.

faebfccc.jpg

Oh ya, that makes sense, now that I think of it. Most Bucks are up high during the early season. I think I will opt for the Dwight Schuh book. Can't wait to start reading!

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome, right next to the mashed potatoes on my dinner plate!

I've also read both Schuh and Eastman. I would highly recommend both. Schuh is more dirrected towards Bowhunting but what he says can be used in other seasons as well.
One more book that I would suggest is Valerus Geist's Mule Deer Country. It doesn't give tips on hunting but gives many insights into the mule deer species and its habits. That book is my highest recommendation. I have read it tons of times. Normally at least once or twice a year.
I've yet to read Darner's How To Find Giant Bucks but I've heard tons of great things about it. I have requested it through the library system and it looks like I'll have it in my hot little hands tommorrow. Can't wait to read it. I've read Darner's other book, Hunting The Rockies and that is a good read but not a lot of "How To" involved. Just some really good hunting stories.
Anyone read Duane Adams new book on Mule Deer? It looks interesting. I'd like to hear some reviews from other MM members on it.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-03 AT 08:27PM (MST)[p]Here is how I would rate the four books I own on the how to's of hunting. I like all 4 though. Each one has good info (Disclaimer: I am primarily a September hunter):
1) Dwight Schuh - "Hunting Open-Country Mule Deer"
2) Mike Eastman - "Hunting High Country Mule Deer"
3) Kirt Darner - " How to Find Giant Bucks"
4) Valerious Geist - "Mule Deer Country"

Man, I don't know which one to choose! Or maybe I should choose two, I just don't have any money right now! lol droptine, what do you like about the Eastman book, and the Schuh book? What makes good points on what? I know this is a lot to ask, but it's a ton of help! Thank you! I hope everybody nails a biggun this year!

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome, right next to the mashed potatoes on my dinner plate!

As for books that provide good "how to" info for mule deer hunting I'd give the nod to Kirt Darner's "How to Find Giant Mule Deer". Walter Prothero's book "Stalking Trophy Mule Deer" is excellent also.

As for videos, the Muley Crazy series is tough to beat. Volume 5 should be out by Christmas. Can't wait!

i have read MULE DEER COUNTRY and HUNTING HIGH COUNTRY MULR DEER, both will tell you anything you know about mule deeer.

Later Yall!!!!
deer.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom