Best coyote gun

S

swampthing

Hey everybody. I'm new to posting, but have been on MM.com many times in the past. Recently moved to AZ and have taken up coyote hunting with a friend of mine. HOOKED! Been out three times now and had shots all three times. Missed the first two and finally killed my first dog last saturday. My problem is with my gun. I currently shoot my fathers old .300 Savage. Love this gun, but put a hole the size of a softball in the dog. Been looking at a .17 HMR. Is this to small? What is the "BEST" gun for killin' yotes? Any and all info will be appriciated. Thanks.

I love love love shooting 22-250! I wouldn't shoot anything else. I kill dogs all the time with my 22-250's. I shoot 55 grain softies out of them. I would say 22-250 or a 243.

Thanks for your input. Most people I've talked to are saying the same thing. Is .17 HMR to small then?

I second the .22-250. I shoot 55 grain Nosler CT's and I love it. That way you can shoot them out to 300+ yards. Works good for pot guts, too.

22-250 it great. but 243 with a 75gr has a higher ballistic coefficient. bucks the wind better, carrys it energy farther and has cheaper ammo. and plain jane 243's are a dime a dozen. imo

Any gun with a bullet in it is good for dogs/preds. We shoot the 22.250 and 243. The ".250" is fun to shoot hundreds of times during the day and the bullets are reasonably priced.

HK

I have to agree with all the 22-250 comments above, It's by far my favorite gun.
I have a couple friends that have been whacking coyotes with their 204's, I have to say I was really quite impressed with that smaller round.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-09 AT 10:04AM (MST)[p]Hands down 22-250 ! and a good tight choked 3 in. 12 gauge autoloader to cover all bases.
I bought a Ruger 17hmr when they first came out and used it a couple times, it was super accurate but not good enough to do the 250-300 yd shots that the 22-250 does, so I took it to the gun show and sold it.

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
4b04050338407495.jpg

I would go with the 22-250! IMO! I like the 204 but in times I feel it is a little small and if you don't poke them right you might not be getting that dog. I think the 17 is an accurate little gun but imo it doesn't have the knock down power a 22-250 or a 243 has. 22-250 and 243 are great all around guns that can be used for many different hunting apps. my 22-250 I have takin deer, speed goats, coyotes, javelinas, bobcats, and even barbary sheep. Great all around caliber.

i almost forgot, the best attribute a coyote gun has is you behind it when you have a dog in the cross hairs.

I agree 100 percent!
I just got the Remington model 7 predator in the 22-250, and a nikon coyote special 4.5x14-40 scope! awesome set up!

unclebuck

i had a question about that scope.
nikon makes a buck master with a bdc redicl in a 4.5-14x40. have you ever seen the buckmaster version and are they similar a side form the sun screen. i have never seen the coyote version but if the are the same that is a bad a$$ scope.

As far as i know they are pretty much the same. i Believe the coyote special is set up for two perticular muzzle velocities. coming from the 223 and the 22-250. as for the buck master i am sure it might be set up for more of a standerd and a magnum set up. but i love the scope!

I have both a 22-250 and a .204 Ruger. The 22-250 is a great gun and if you hitem just right in the throat area it doesnt do a terrible amount of damage to the hide. The .204 ruger is my favorite as long as the shots are under 200 yards this gun loaded with Berger 35 grain hollow point works great and leaves a small entry hole with no exit. Great Gun for less damaged pelts especially if its a Bobcat. A big sewn up hole gets you alot less for your hide ive learned this lesson the hard way. I have yet to lose a yip dog or Bobcat with the .204 but would be hesitant on the hitting power past 200 yards most all my shots in 15 years of predator hunting have been under 100 yards.

great topic, well we have hit it pretty hard in the last couple weekends and my vote is for the ruger 204.i am not a self proclaimed shooter but this thing is.my buddy has it set up on an ar and its deadly!! we have taken 7 dogs four have been by friends 70 yrds 140 yrds 210 yrds 295 yrds all one shot one kills my dogs were at 380 yrds 3 shots 485 yards 7 shots (he was in the open and didnt know where we were)and the last was 430 1 shot 32 grain hornandy ballistic tips.a government trapper friend doesnt think its enough gun but at 430 yards it passed through the dog.must not had enough energy to let the ballistic tip frag.204 in 32 and 40 grain are real comparable to the 22 250. both these guns are flat out to 400yrds then the 250 drops off faster pretty crazy distances but with a range finder and the ballistics on the side of the gun its pretty damb fun!!204 kicks a little less but both are great calibers. cant wait to go again thanksgiving weekend.
simo

204 not got me convinced some of the callers i associate with have lost many well shot dogs with the 32gr bullets not as bad with the 40 but still loosing dogs but 22-250 or my personal favorite 220 swift cant go wrong on either !!!!!

I love my 220 swift, with a 55 gr. bullet cause it blows right through them when they are close and still has the knock down power when you get out there at 500 yards.

idratherbhunting,
I have to agree with you. My swift is a coyotes worst nightmare! It can do anything a 22-250 can do...except 150 fps quicker. It's not easy on pelts though, but then again I'm really not interested in saving them. With a good rest and couple seconds to range & shoot, anything in the cross-hairs is in BIG TROUBLE out to 500 yards!

mathewmans,
All my friends call my swift a lazy mans gun cause you dont have to skin them when you shot them. But for the money you get for the pelts it is just alright with me.

Amen dude and as for your friends, They're just jealous-must be shootin' 22-250's (ok...just razzin' you 22-250 guys)!

When I was in middle school I had a 220 swift and I loved the hell out of that gun. sadly so did someone else and they decided to steal it from my parents house. but I agree the 220 is an awesome caliber for song dogs!

I have a 22-250, AR-15 and 220 Swift. The swift and 250 are almost identical guns. The Swift is louder but a fraction faster. Ballistics are very similar also. The 22-250 ammo is alot more abundant and you can find it almost anywhere. The AR is good for calling but more of a rabbit, squirrel, P-dog gun. I do 3-5 coyote contests a year and I want a gun that has velocity, knock down, and a big enough bullet for blood that will allow me to find them with a poorly placed shot. All around the 22-250 would be my only choice if I had to choose.

I'll chime in for the AR crowd. I'd definately recomend the AR. If you are using it for a calling rifle you should be getting most coyotes at under 300 yards and the .223 has more than enough take down for any coyote at that range. It also has the benefit of quick follow up shots. When you call in multiple coyotes or miss the first shot you cant beat an AR. I love AR's

22 cheetah mk 1. It takes over where the swift lets off and little pelt damage on fox or coyote. I shot a 250 for awhile and when i got the cheetah i missed alot of dogs. you aim at them. near, far, running or sitting. but its a money gun, shoot when the shot has a pay back. The 204 is just all out fun. rabits are a blast with it. 17 hmr is spendy to shoot alot, but ideal for pigeons and squirls. It does the job on rabbits but not as destructive as the 204. My latest pet is the 6mm br.

The HMR is an awesome little round, but is designed for rodents and paper. Definitely would work on a coyote in the right conditions, but not in very many.

Like everyone said, go centerfire and start reloading. I'd probably go 223 to save money, but the 22-250 and 204 are awesome rounds.

What a possibly hot topic! I have all 3 stated, .250, 220 swift and the AR. I hunted for years with my wack n stack 243 then went to the dependable .250 then I went with a lead on long range and got a 220 with a bull barrel 26" long. I've ranged and shot a coyote at 440 yards with the 220 and missed similar shots with the .250. Then 3 yrs. ago I got the AR and its the 1st gun I grab 4 in the safe. I kill em consistantly out to 325 yrds and have had several chances at a second or 3rd dogs beacause all you have to do is pull that trigger. I've even wounded them, had em spinning in circles and followed up with 2 more quick shots for the kill. I hate slow bolt actions for that reason. I usually carry the AR for calling and the 220 for drivebys by the highway that are 2 far out for the AR. My newest mega long ranger for 500 yrd dogs is the .257 weatherby. That thing is a laser. In one year I've only shot at 6 animals with it and they all died. Rocky Mtn. goat, muley head shot, cow elk head shot and 3 coyotes. 2 were close to 200 yrds and either did a back flip and the other spread bone, muscle, blood, fur, guts in the air. Screw the pelt, I do it for the pictures. The other one was at 480 yrds in the alfa alfa and it dropped him perfect. I love Leupold scopes too on all my guns. I don't know yer budget but I'd sure buy the AR 1st if I could.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom