Best Dall Sheep Area

nontypical234

Having a chance at a truly trophy ram is one of my greatest dreams but price is the problem. However, I would like to apply for a limited tag area that has really low odds of drawing and if I did draw I could justify the price better to my wife. What draw areas have the biggest rams?
Thanks.

I would apply for one of two places for biggest rams.

The Chugach State Park !!!!!!

Or

Tok Management Unit !!!!!

Chugach State Park, Alaska..... Nice Rams in the TMA, but the big boys have been coming out of Chugach State Park. I believe any dall sheep is a trophy though.. Don't rule out the other ranges, I think they all probably hold a book ram you just need time and alot of patience or an outfitter who is willing to get you that once in a lifetime ram.

Hey Jer,

Where you been hiding? Was just thinking about you the other day as I was looking over the 2004 Oregon hunt book.

I've been around just not on the computer as much.... Seems I was spending too much time on this thing.. Yea, just got the regs myself and been buried in the pages for the last few days. Are you going to put in for sheep again?? I will be, you never know..

Jer

I'll be putting in. Like you say, you never know. Odds are crappy but somebody has to draw and I know it won't be me if I don't put in. Got any advice?

If you take a look at the Ram Awards in Reno you will see that the top three rams all came out of the Chugach Mtns. in Alaska. It seems that 2003 was the year for big white rams everywhere though as soom hooters came out of the NWT and I know of one cranker that came out of the Brooks Range (surprise!).

Yea, don't dicount the Brooks Range.. There is alot of land that goes unhunted up there. I know its not popular for big sheep, but I've talked to several people who say the outfitters up their throw the hammer down on any legal sheep. On the far eastern reaches of the Brooks are some remote river systems that just don't get hunted very much. I think you could take a real bruiser out of there. The problem is finding who hunts it. Good luck on your quest....

Jer

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom