BEST ELK AMMO FOR 308

O

outtabreath

I POSTED THIS MESSAGE IIN THE ELK FORUM AND ONLY GOT ONE RESPONSE, THOUGHT I'D TRY IN HERE.
GOT MY FIRST ELK TAG AND WONDERING WHAT THE BEST AMMO IS FOR A .308
I'M NOT GETTIN' A NEW GUN THIS YEAR, SO IT'LL HAVE TO WORK. ANYBODY GOT ANY IDEAS? THANKS. TREY

outtabreath:

Do you re-load your own, or will you be purchasing 'off the shelf' ammo? Either way, I would go with 180gr. bullet. If buying off the shelf, I would go with a premium round/brand. If you're reloading your own, I would go with a Hornady balistic tip boat tail (still in the 180gr.). I'm no expert, but the 180s should give you more energy down range, leading to better 'knock-down' power...

Buy a bunch and get out to the range to ensure you can hit the target with the new rounds!

Good luck!

S.

:)

I would consider a 165 or 180 grain Nosler Partition in the 308, if you do not reload, Federal ammo will be able to supply you with a good Nosler Partition in the above weights.

RELH

I shot a cow at 50 yards with my .308 last year on a late hunt. I was using 180 gr. Rem. Core lokts. Not my 1st choice (i would prefer a handload) but it did the job just fine. Double lung and the off shoulder punch through, she went 15 yards and was done. I am going to try some 165 grain and see what shoots best in my ruger m77 .308. hope that helps. jeff

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't reload ,so its off the shelf. Problem is, there are no shelves around here with any of this stuff. Guess I'll order from Cabela's (as always).
Seems like the Nosler Partion is always well thought of, so i guess I'll go with that one. Federal "Vital Shok". 180gr.
I'll let ya'll know how they shoot.

Stanley.
Could you explain exactly what a "boattail" is? I keep hearing about those, but not sure what they are. Thanks. Trey

i shot my first Elk with a 308, It was not a long shot (85 yds) but I got it. I used handloads with Nosler partitions. I still have the spend bullet, it worked well and did not come apart. I have used the balistic tip on lighter skined animals (lopes and yotes) and they make for a short tracking job, but I think the elk needs some more bullet. I used 165 grain partitions.

good luck!!

Jerry

Look into some of the new ammo with bonded bullets. Nosler Accubonds, Remington Core-Lokt Ultra, Hornady Interbond, or Swift Scirrocco. I am not familiar with .308 factory ammo, except I do know Hornady makes it with their Interbond. On a critter as tough as an elk it would be good insurance. Also, check out handloading. Doing it yourself gives you many more options, and as a rule, a "pet" load can be found that your rifle will shoot more accurately than almost any factory stuff. Good Luck, mtmuley

i shot a cow with some handloaded 165 grain Sierra game king boat tails a few years back with my 308, she was like 50 yards away and i put it through her heart. the bullet did not go all the way through, i found it just beneath the skin on the opposite side, it did its job, left all the energy in the animal, put a fist sized whole in the heart.
casey

I don't plan on making any long shots where I'll be hunting, probably not more than 150-200 yds (max). What is the advantage of using a 165gr over an 180gr ? I would think that more powder would result in a flatter trajectory with more power, but I don't really know that much about ballistics. I know that I can get some Barnes 165gr boattails locally, but it looks like anything else I will have to order by mail.
Thanks again for the knowledge.

I put a 180gr Partition thru a cow elk at 275 yards double lung full penetration no bullet recovery. Both lungs had larger than 25cent piece holes thru them. That would be the extreme edge of .308 range in my opinion because of the lack of velocity to expand the bullet and transfer energy. I took the shot because I had a complacent animal offering a broadside shot with no shoulder bone interference. The .308 might not be the Magnum ElkHammer round, but in my Weatherby Accumark I am Zen with it and placement beats magazine numbers anyday.

The 165 gr. will shoot a little faster and flatter then the 180. If you are going to hold your shooting to a 200 yard max, what weight is purely a personal choice, both will get the job done. Some guys swear by the Barnes bullets, other swear at them due to accuracy problems with them. If you have the time, try a box of the Barnes 165 gr. If your rifle shoots them accurate, you have found your 308 elk load. If your gun does not shoot them with as much accuracy as you want, then buy a box of Federal 165 or 180 gr. Nosler Partitions. Both sizes will work as a good 308 elk load. I have had very good luck with the 180 grain Nosler Partition for accuracy in several 300 mags. My 30-06 likes both the 165 and 180 gr. Nosler Partition. You will find that the Nosler Partition is cheaper to buy in factory loadings then the Barnes are, but there performance is tops on heavy game such as elk.
RELH

Thanks for all the help. I'll try some 165's. I agree that shot placemount is tantamount to everything else. The last animal I shot at ( with 150gr.) was a very poor shot. Prior to that, I have dropped everything I've shot at in their tracks. Approaching a partially paralyzed deer is not fun and I don't want to do it again if I can help it. And I really don't want to do it with a mature bull elk ( that would be a fun knife fight). I will definitely be putting in some time at the range before hunting season starts. I just didn't realize all these bullets had such differing trajectories. I'll let you all know how things fly for me.

A few things to think about. First off it has to be a premium bullet to allow for minor mistakes.

Use a Barnes X(I know about USO and have written Barnes this week- but using a premium bullet is responsible to the animal), a Partition or a Failsafe(see we have choices other than the X even though I prefer it)

Don't worry about a boattail. They really are not needed until you progress to 300 and beyond. For 250 yards or so flat base are just fine.

Try to avoid the ballistic tip types. Put into the wrong place they can create wounds instead of kills on large game. Though i don't have any experience on the newer bonded type ones, I hear they are much better at holding together. I have heard good things on the Scirocco but talked to a few hunters that don't get complete penetration in real life on small whitetails so I'd call them suspect on large game.

Bullet weight-- going to a bullet proven to retain weight you can go a bit lighter, like the 165s. 180s are not a bad choice either. 150s will work but in my opinion are too light for elk.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom