Best Elk Hunt For $5,000

HuntinFool

I'm looking for a hunt for a client of mine. He's looking for a good opportunity at a 300"+ bull next year. He doesn't have any points so it will have to be hunt he can buy a tag OTC or draw with zero points. He has a budget of $5,000. Who would you guys recommend?

It won't be in Wyoming if he doesn't have any points. Some of the guys that know Utah or Colorado well can probably put you on a ranch or two for an OTC tag in those states with the programs they have available.

>It won't be in Wyoming if
>he doesn't have any points.
> Some of the guys
>that know Utah or Colorado
>well can probably put you
>on a ranch or two
>for an OTC tag in
>those states with the programs
>they have available.

Why couldn't he purchase a Wyoming PP right now and go in to next years draw with one?
The general tag in the special draw was 97% successful with one point.

There are a lot of great bulls killed on general tags in Wyoming every year.

Is that $5000 budget just for the outfitting? Or total, all in?
I think it's going to be tough to find that kind of quality in an elk hunt for that amount.

>Why couldn't he purchase a Wyoming
>PP right now and go
>in to next years draw
>with one?
>The general tag in the special
>draw was 97% successful with
>one point.
>
>There are a lot of great
>bulls killed on general tags
>in Wyoming every year.
>
>Is that $5000 budget just for
>the outfitting? Or total, all
>in?
>I think it's going to be
>tough to find that kind
>of quality in an elk
>hunt for that amount.

I figured with a budget of $5K that paying for a PP and drawing the Special tag would cost over $1300. That would leave $3700 and he'll never find an outfitter for that amount. That's not even counting tips and other expenses for the trip.

Without an LE license you can get a fun private land Elk hunt in Colorado for 5k but the odds of seeing a 300 inch bull are extremely low. As with most things you get what you pay for. If he's looking for a likely chance at a 300 incher he's going to have to up the ante - likely in the $7,000 + range

Hi Huntinfool. Try JFWRC they have a couple of options for a good hunt with a descent chance at a 300 class bull. Give Jim or Kelly a call. See if you can get Miguel AKA craezymaezy on here as your guide he'll put you on the bulls

Good luck and keep us informed

Joe

?Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

If he bought a landowner tag for muzzy in CO unit 61 he might have a chance at a 300" bull. It's going to cost him around $8,500, DIY and he's going to have to know how to hunt elk too.

$5,000 for a 300" bull is only going to get you a CHANCE these days and that chance is slim. He's going to need to spend a lot more if he'll only be happy with a 300" bull on a high success rate hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-18 AT 11:50AM (MST)[p]>Hi Huntinfool. Try JFWRC they have
>a couple of options for
>a good hunt with a
>descent chance at a 300
>class bull. Give Jim or
>Kelly a call. See if
>you can get Miguel AKA
>craezymaezy on here as your
>guide he'll put you on
>the bulls
>Good luck and keep us informed
>Joe
>?Sometimes you do things wrong for
>so long you
>think their right" - 2001
>"I can't argue with honesty" -
>2005
>-Joe E Sikora

FYI Joe---Miguel is no longer down in NM working in the Carson NF in unit 2b. He's working up in southern Wyoming now and it's doubtful he'll be doing any guiding down in NM. He's a great guy and helped my buddy and I on a hunt in NM 2b a few years ago when he was still working down there.

Hi TOPGUN,
When did he move?
I know he's guiding coople2 for JFWRC this season in Unit 52 muzzle elk.

Thanks Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
-Joe E Sikora

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-18 AT 09:14PM (MST)[p]>Hi TOPGUN,
>When did he move?
>I know he's guiding coople2 for
>JFWRC this season in Unit
>52 muzzle elk.
>
>Thanks Joe
>
>"Sometimes you do things wrong for
>so long you
>think their right" - 2001
>"I can't argue with honesty" -
>2005
>-Joe E Sikora

Not sure when he moved up to Wyoming, but he invited my buddy that lives in Sheridan to go down to southern Wyoming for a weekend when he was involved with a collaring operation of ungulates and coyotes. Maybe he does have some time to do a little guiding, but I figured his off time would be spent hunting on his own tags. He's a really nice guy that knows his stuff! Here he is trying to glass up a good buck down in 2b.

300632011trip124.jpg

Best advise you received is in post number 2!

Wyoming General elk tag is a great bang for your buck and be done for way under $5000 if he is a hunter and doesn't need to be guided. If you spend any time at all in the mountains in Wyoming, know how to hunt elk, and are willing to get a few miles away from roads, there is a great chance to see 300" bulls.

Hi TOPGUN, are we talking about the same Miguel. Reason is I text with him last evening and he said he hasn't move and he is scouting and making ready for his dads antelope tag. I'm sure Miguel will get his PaPa a trophy for sure

Thanks Joe

-Joe E Sikora

Let us know how your hunt went Huntinfool. I hope you got some good leads here. Sometimes it gets foggy.

Good luck

Joe

-Joe E Sikora

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom