Best Expandable????

A

azdezrthuntr

I know there are going to be a thousand answers but just thought I would throw it out there. In your guys opinion what do you think is the best expandable broadhead on the market today?? I will never shoot a Rage again so I am looking for ideas.

+1 on the rage. The owner of the local archery shop says 5 or so bulls were lost that he knows of because of the rage. I shoot the G5 Tekan. I am 2 for 2. Just mule deer and antelope though. The owner also said he knows of 8 for 8 on bulls with the tekan.

Skip the expandables and go with a good fixed blade. I love the G5 Montec. If you have doubts about the Rage you probably will not be all that comfortable with any other expandble.

I shot the Tekan II this year and was less than impressed by the holes and blood the it generated. I hear the newer version is better. It did fly great though!

I've heard horror stories with almost all expandables, but I shoot grimreapers, and probably will forever. I've never lost an animal with them, and they fly like field points. I love them. I did have a buddy that shot a deer with grimreapers and he claims the arrow deflected. Not sure if it's true or not, but it's never happened to me. In all the tests I've seen, you get exceptional penetration with them. Just my opinion though.

Hands down expanables are best most are junk but try nap spitfire they leave great bloodtrails and no rubber bands.You can't get 1.5 inch cutting diameter out of a fixed head!!!!

I used a Rage 2 blade head for the first time this year. I shot a big Illinois 8 point that was standing broadside at 30 yards. Perfect shot right behind the shoulder. As the deer ran off i could see the arrow fall out of the opposite side, the deer ran approx 120 yds & fell over in the field. There was no blood trail, if i hadn't of seen it go down it would of been a long day of searching. The night before this hunt a buddy of mine shot a 145 class 9 point with a Rage, same thing no blood trail but seen the buck go down. Both of these shots were perfect. When i field dressed my buck i did a close insepction of the entry hole. The blades opened perfectly as there was a nice cut but, between rib bones. You couldn't of cut it any better with a knife. Basically it was just a 2" cut with a hole in the center. This is the first time i've used an expandable, always used NAP Thunderheads & Crossfires & i always had a good blood trail. Wasn't impressed with the Rage.

7 Mag

If you watch the Outdoor Channel, you will notice that Rage sponsers nearly every show. You will also notice that they RARELY pass through on whitetails.

I too shot the Tekan this year and was not impressed. Rocket Steelhead is a great head. I have killed numerous bucks with this head and a couple elk. They are solid and leave good holes.

I just saw a photo of the new Tekan, it has three blades and a smaller point/head. It has a 1.5" cutting diameter. It also has a clip for blade retention. Interesting.

I shoot Grim Reaper and love them. Flies great and leaves a great blood trail. My buddy had some Rage heads this year and the stupid blades would not lock into the closed position. I have heard nothing good about them except from paid sponsors on TV. Grim Reaper heads stay locked shut and then open upon entry. I have shot 6 animals with them this year and they were all fully deployed on the entry hole.

Jason Yates
Basin Archery Shop
http://www.basinarcheryshop.com
5% OFF to all MonsterMuleys.com Members!!!
Discount code = monstermuleys

stick with the fixed....one bad experience with expandables and you will hate them forever! people have good luck with expandables but they have not had that bad experience yet!! good luck

I have experimented with alot of expandables

trufire switchblade flies great,reliable
great enrty and exit wounds only thing I dont like is a soft wizzing sound.

epic makes a good expand good flight

blood runner wicked tough strongest expandable i have shot
but if you have problems with fixed blades flying stait you probably willnot like this one

Tekken is the worst one I have ever used (JUNK) but there
montec and stricker are good fixed blades

Trophy ridge has a couple that I like meatseeker and steelhead

I have used both tekkan2 and grim reapers. Both are good broadheads. The advantage with the tekkan is that even if the blades fail to deploy you still have a good front end broadhead. I haven't had a problem with blade deployment on either one and have witnessed approximately 20 deer and 2 elk taken with these broadheads.

I prefer the "Schwacker" the 100 grain have a 1" cutting diameter closed and a 1 3/4" cutting diameter when opened and the 125 grain have a 2 1/4" cutting diameter. My brother and I have shot over 20 big game animals with these heads and they are awesome. The blood trail is great with most animals going just a few yards and falling over. My brother also shot a 1500 pound buffalo with this mechanical broadhead. These broadheads used to be called "Sonorans"!!

I've guided alot of archery elk hunts, Grimreapers were wicked at moderate ranges, big holes ,lots of blood,short tracking jobs. Very disappointed with the Rage on elk, little blood, not enough penetration. Best luck with Shuttle T Locks. Fixed heads seem to work best at distances over 40yds. One guy had an awsome 2 blade called German Kenetics made in Germany, very strong & sharp broadhead ,they use them alot in Africa. But are very expensive.

I've used the Tekan II and the Rage three blade on mule deer and white tail.

I have really been impressed by the Rage broadhead. I will be using them next year on elk and will let you know how it goes if I am fortunate enough to shoot an animal.

The blood trails with the Rage broadheads were very good. Both broadside shots I had on the mule deer were complete pass throughs. I was even able to put my fist through the entrance hole on one of the animals.

I did not get a pass through on the whitetail doe that I shot, but that was because I shot her straight on. She had the fletchings sticking out of her chest blocking the blood from spilling out and the blood trail was still very impressive.

My buddy shot a deer with the Rage broadhead and it looked like someone had spray painted the grass with a red rattle-can.

I like Grim Reapers and Meat Seekers, but after last year's elk hunt there is no way I will ever shoot an expandable at elk ever again. I think they are fine for deer though.

Grim Reapers!!

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Archery is a year round commitment!!

I used the Rage 2 Blade on my elk this year, had a great entrance wound and a massive blood trail! The elk ran maybe 50 yards and killed over. I was very impressed with the Rage and will use them again next year.

Of the six guys that I know that went out west last year 4 bulls and 2 mule deer were killed with Rage Heads. All of them left massive blood trails. My whitetail and my buddy's Ks whitetail were also taken with Rage Heads and both left impressive blood trails. I will agree that I don't get complete penetration with them but the blood trails that they leave with a 2" entrance wound is more than enough. If the heads were as bad as some of you guys say I'm sure that Chuck and Randy wouldn't endorse them and risk their reputations on something that doesn't work. I plan to keep using them until they prove me wrong.

I used the rage 3 blade on a cow moose this year. Complete pass thru at 43 yards. the blood trail was ok at best got a double lung shot. Also used the wac'em broadheads on a spike elk also a complete pass thru both lungs as well at 63 yards twice as much blood. I think I will stick with the fixed blades!

tried rage and lost a good mule deer using them. switched this year to Spitfire Maxx and highly recommend them. They fly great, dead on with field points and leave huge holes and massive blood trails. Shot my deer at 75 yards facing me and my 28 inch arrow went 22 inches into the bucks' chest. He didnt make it 30 yards before piling up.

I have used the "New" style Tekan II, and have gone 3 for 3 on elk. All three shots were under 40 yds, and all were complete pass throughs. I have heard bad stories about the older style tekan, but these new ones are the ticket.
I can't find a reason to switch to another head.
If it's not broke, don't fix it right??

}}-SLIVER-->

Grim Reapers are the way to go. you cannot believe the accuracy difference I gained when I swithched from a muzzy fixed blade to the GR. incredible. I shot a deer this year (small 4 point) passed through and stuck in dirt about 6 inches and the deer was 45 yards away. The bushes directly behind the deer were covered red. I could actually see a big gush of blood out the other side (I was shooting down a slope) real time, it was awesome.

First animal that I tried a rage 2-blade on, literally almost cut the animal in half. Granted it was only a 25 lb javelina, but i was still impressed that I could see the entire blood trail from where I shot from. I hope to do the same with a another rage in a couple weeks. I will post pictures if successful, and show the damage of the rage or lack thereof.

If you're bow is tuned correctly fixed-blades will fly perfectly. Shoot your bow through paper, buy some G5 Montecs or Strykers and quit worrying about your expandables malfunctioning.

Has anyone had any experience with the Epek's on a bull elk? I have shot these at targets and they fly amazing, but I'm wondering how they'll work on those big boned animals?

copple2

The broadheads are only as good as the location of the hit and that the arrow has enough kinetic energy to open the blades on impact. Every bow company claims their bows are shooting the speed of light but your bow is not as fast as you have been led to believe then with an arrow that is to light to push the blades open on an expandable head you are going to hear a lot of negative responces. Take close shots with right arrow weight and you will have better luck with any broadhead.

I know it's all about shot placement....I just want to see or hear of anyone who's downed a bull elk with the epeks. Pics would be great, cause I haven't seen it yet myself.

I've became a huge fan of the grimreaper razortip 100 grains.
In 08' i double lunged a bull at seventy three yards and watched drop minutes later. On my 09' limited entry deer hunt I shot my buck at 53 yards on a full pass and watched him drop 20 yards later.

OK so everyone has their favorite head for the perfect double lung shot BUT any broadheads will kill an animal that is double lunged. Lets talk about marginal hits. Which broadheads perform the best on a marginal hit? Let's hear stories about broadheads that have saved your butt on a bad hit.

Jason Yates
Basin Archery Shop
http://www.basinarcheryshop.com
5% OFF to all MonsterMuleys.com Members!!!
Discount code = monstermuleys

LAST EDITED ON Feb-07-10 AT 05:44PM (MST)[p]well i cant say i've ever placed a bad hit on an animal so ive never had to rely on a broadhead to save me. So ya i see your point completly and theyve worked very well for me and why change what works. Ive shot quite a few i used to be sold on the wacems but the blades aren't to great after you miss. Thunder heads worked pretty good as well the only down side is the rubber o rings can be a bit of trouble to line up. Rocky mountain snipers are a horrible choice you spend more time fixing rubber bands than you do hunting. My best tip is go with the best higher end equipment that you can afford. I Also like the damage and exit holes on the reapers all my animals have poured buckets of blood for the blood trail.

I shot 2 animals (bear & deer) this past year with 100 grain grim reapers (10 yards and 20 yards). Both were shot out of a treestand and at that close range the shot angle was quite steep. The arrow entered just off the spine and exited out the brisket. The shot on the deer was a bit far back (had gut on the arrow). Yet both animals were piled up within 80 yards of the hit! I attribute the quick recoveries of both animals to that BBAAADDDD broadhead. I'm not switching-just buying another pack or 2.

I have been shooting Rocket Steelheads for the last 5 years with great success. Killed maybe 20 deer, two caribou, and one bear. I would like to try the Grim Reeper but just can't seem to change for the heck of it. Syeelheads will be on my arrows this year on my elk hunt.

I'm a big fan of the Trophy Ridge Meat Seekers. Killed a couple of deer with them this year. Pass throughs on both. They fly no different than my field points. So far I'm impressed.

It all comes down to shot placement anyway. I have killed bucks with both fixed and expendables. All my kills have been in the sweet spot or very close. One buck I killed with a fixed blade was an up hill shot, hit low came out about mid crease. This buck didn't leave much of a blood trail but piled up less than 100 yards away. Next buck, center punched the heart he ran about 60 yard, again not much of a blood trail, this was also with a fixed blade. Next buck, quartering away hit just behind the crease on the right side, exited on left side of the brisket, expandable blade sliced the heart and this was the easiest buck to find. Buckets of blood and a 4' exclamation point of blood from the deer spinning around on the ground doing his death kick.

It all comes down to placement. I use the best flying head that I feel comfortable with. I don't care if it is fixed or expandable; if it shoots good for me and I feel confident in the product then it is on the end of my arrow.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom