Best Game Saw?

COSA

My Gerber fell apart last season (I used it hard for 3 years). Any reccomendations for a good, compact game saw, weight and size being an issue?
Jerry

My Wyoming saw has seen alot of back bone and is still holding together. After I get back to camp I use my mini might chain saw, Never cut any thing but meat with it. I run olive oil in it for chain lube, but it don't fit in my saddle bag very well.

~Jeff~

Were you happy with it? My Gerber has been the best compact saw I've ever used. Were it to crap out, I'd replace it with the same thing. There are better saws out there, but most are heavier or bulkier, and not what I want for my backpack.

I'm very happy with my Gerber. I've put a new blade on it and have an extra blade in my hunting box.

BeanMan

I've had my Wyoming saw for 7 years now and still haven't broke a blade on it. And I've done some serious reefing with it. Been a couple of times I thought I snapped the blade but it just twanged off. I've tried a couple other brands friends gave me and they just don't compare. 7 Elk, 7 Bucks, 3 antelope, 1 Moose and numerous winterkilled animals-its like the energizer bunny, keeps on ticking.

I've used a bunch of em, and hands down the Wyoming saw is the best I've used. Second would be the NAP saw, which kind of looks like a "t" bar with a saw on both sides and a 12" blade... We are riding quite often and quite a few times we've been the first ones in on a trail that has blow downs or snow downs across them with no place to get around its much easier to saw one up than try to hack it up with an ax...

I've used a few diferent folding saws including a Gerber and didn't like any of them, they just didn't have a long enough "stroke" for me... :) One of the reasons I really like the wyoming saw is because it comes with a wood blade, makes building those fires a breeze and you don't have to worry about ruining your bone blade. I think I've had my wyoming saw for about 12-14 years, I don't remember for sure. Its been through probably 40 elk and don't know how many deer. I still use the original bone blade, but its starting to show some serious wear... like about a quarter of the teeth are gone. It may be a little heavier, but when you have some serious work to do, its worth its wieght in gold.

i've had the same wyoming saw for 25 years. also carry a wyoming knife. especially for elk. bought em at the same time. never had any trouble with em. wore out several bone blades in the saw. i've been around all the rest of em, and the wyoming has always been the best of the bunch. for the backbone i prefer a stihl 051.

I got the Gerber....and love it. I just keep a couple extra blades in the case and have never had any problems with it. Plus I like the size of it, a little bigger than your average knife, fits in the day pack nicely.

Best game saw?
Probably a really big 7 point bull elk. That and a huge mule deer buck are the best game I ever seed.

Wy Saw. I've used it on many Elk & Deer. I always carry an extra bone blade but have never had one break. Replacement blades are cheap & easy to find. I carry the 12" saw while hunting & am considering getting the next size up for camp. It's a great tool.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom