Best hunt/fishing trip experience

Buckskin

My boy will be graduating next year and I want to take him on a fishing trip or hunt. One that we will remember forever. I don't have an endless budget, but trying to pull something off.
I haven't been on any guided trips before but there's a couple I've been thinking about.
Alaska fishing
Canada goose hunt
Mexico off shore fishing
Argentinian or Mexico dove hunt
Any recommendations would be awesome, I know you guys have a lot more experience at this than I do.
Thanks!

Good on you for trying to create that memory for both of you.
Dove shooting in Argentina is a wonderful trip. You are pretty much guarenteed a lot of shooting and the food and hospitality is excellent. However, flights and the shell bill can really add up on that trip, so something to keep in mind.

As far as a fishing trip, do you both do good on the ocean? If one of you gets seasick easy that would be a miserable trip. If you believe you would both be ok a deep sea trip would be a lot of fun and over multiple days you could target different species. Most lodges serve great food as well. I would also consider B.C Canada if you choose to go this route. I've never had that much fun fishing in Mexico personally, but I'm sure there are great trips to be had there. A fishing trip would also align on the calendar for something you could do shortly after graduating.

An outfitter who offers great upland hunting would be a really fun 2-3 day trip, something with multiple species perhaps?

Good luck in your planning.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-28-19 AT 10:23AM (MST)[p]An antelope hunt would be perfect! Not very expensive, and should be 100% success.

Saw Zumbo on a coastal black bear hunt awhile back. They stayed on a house boat and had crab a prawn pots set. Hunted bears from a small skiff during the day, ate like kings at days end. Dont know the outfitter but I'd assume it's on YouTube. Looked like a helluva time to me!

#livelikezac

Some of my favorite trips with my dad have been pheasant hunting in SD and fishing for pikes and walleye in Canada.

Big game is great, but the above two allow multiple days where you should get action everyday. Plus you can talk with each other during the day.

salmon and halibut fishing with Darlin Charters Ketchikan Alaska. I have taken several of my boys on this trip and other than an African safari in Botswana I think is the best.

Did the boat black bear hunt 15 years ago. We hunted around Kuiu Island. Fishing, crab pots and more bears than we could count. Don?t know how many hunts we have been on since, several every year. My Son still talks about that hunt like it was last year. One of my better investments??

My son is about to turn 26 and although are budgets are limited we've had some great adventures. We are mostly big game hunters and although I haven't yet down the black bear off a boat in Alaska I've heard great things about it combined with crabbing and fishing. Whatever you pick I hope it's epic for the two of you.

Great idea and congrats to your son.

My take.
A lot of AK charter fishing caters to those that couldn't fish to save their lives. All you do is reel the fish to the boat. If that's your thing then great if not then really search for a fishing trip that lets you fish.

Mexico offshore can be a boring affair. I went once on a day trip while in Mexico for vacation and hated every second of it. No action, hotter than the hubs of hell and sea sick. Great time. Once again research and select accordingly.

Others I have not done. The CA goose hunt looks like it could be a fun time.

If your goal is to spend time one on one with your son I would look to spending your money on tags or access to some land with OTC tags and just hunt. A lot of these big time fishing/hunting trips are geared towards large groups and may not be what you are looking for.

Dalin Charters is owned by Sam Dalin and is as good as it gets for an individual fun rewarding Alaskan adventure. He guides for bear and goats also. His nearly grown son Devin helps him and is a real kick to be with. It will be only you and your son (in our case my son and his wife and my wife) You will catch a lot of salmon and halibut and an occasional rock fish. I have been blessed to hunt/fish Alaska 32 times along with a few trips to Africa nd BC. You might consider a photographic safari to Botswana and the Okavango delta it would not cost as much as you might think.

My son and I have loved the fly in Fishing trips to Canada together.

Also have done the Sask. Snow goose/fishing trip up at Last Mountain lake. Hunt snow geese and ducks in the morning, fish for walleye and northerns in the afternoon.

http://www.gsmarina.com/

What ever you decide it will be fun just to be together.

Nemont

My new signature:

"If I said anything to offend you it was purely intentional."

I guess first I would have to ask "What does HE like to do the most??" Is it hunting or fishing, as a priority. I would add in Crocodile Bay Resort in Costa Rica or Casa Vieja Lodge in Guatemala for sailfish to. Pick 3 or 4 comparable trips, and let him pick. Then let us know what you end up with! :)

If you want to do an off-shore trip I'd look at a multi-day trip out of San Diego. There are a handful of top notch long-range boats that will provide a very fun trip (Royal Polaris, Independence, Excel, Intrepid). I'd say shoot for a 6-8 day trip in the fall. There will be a lot of down time and days will drag on, but one good bite will make the whole trip. Captain and deckhands are used to a bunch of know-it-all experts, so they would love to have a couple first timers on board. Trust me, they will make sure you have a good trip. Accomodations are nice and food is excellent.

>Dalin Charters is owned by Sam
>Dalin and is as good
>as it gets for an
>individual fun rewarding Alaskan adventure.
>He guides for bear and
>goats also. His nearly grown
>son Devin helps him and
>is a real kick to
>be with. It will be
>only you and your son
> (in our case my
>son and his wife and
>my wife) You will catch
>a lot of salmon and
>halibut and an occasional rock
>fish. I have been blessed
>to hunt/fish Alaska 32 times
>along with a few trips
>to Africa nd BC. You
>might consider a photographic safari
>to Botswana and the Okavango
>delta it would not cost
>as much as you might
>think.

I second this. Another nice thing about Ketchikan fishing is that a lot of it can be done in inside waters compared to other areas in Alaska, which is a nice option for those who get seasick. Sam will offer his fishing trip with or without his bed and breakfast package depending on your budget. His black bear hunts are also one of, if not the best in the world and could definitely be combined with a day or two fishing, however the fishing would not be during peak times.

Appreciate all for all the information and comments! I will narrow it down and hopefully get something planned soon. Great guys on this site. Thanks again!

Did the boat black bear hunt 15 years ago. We hunted around Kuiu Island. Fishing, crab pots and more bears than we could count. Don?t know how many hunts we have been on since, several every year. My Son still talks about that hunt like it was last year. One of my better investments??

Would you mind me asking you how expensive this trip was and the name of the Outfitter? I am thinking about taking my boys to do something like this in a few years, thanks!

South Dakota Spring Snow/Blue Goose Hunt No Limit on amount of birds.
Electronic callers, huge spreads of decoys, lots of geese.
Zero fun cleaning them.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I spent a week fishing at Doc Warner's camp out of Juneau a few years ago. Four people to a boat and you can fish for halibut or salmon at you own choice in the same general area. It was a little bit expensive, but a great and memorable experience. I wish I could afford the time/money to spend a week there with all my boys.

if you are a waterfowl hunter, there is nothing like a hunt in Canada. Saskatchewan in late September or early October is something a person will never forget. that's what I would pick, no question

If you want to try offshore fishing let me suggest a tuna trip out of Venice La. We do these trips when we don't pull an elk tag. About $1,600 per man for four guys, fishing two days, includes our fuel there and back plus lodging. We are in Abilene Tx. If you live further you can fly to NO and rent car. Mexican Gulf Fishing Company has great boats and captains. You return to port every night. Swordfish are also an option. They do have a little nicer accommodations than we normally stay at for only a little more money. Good luck and I hope you and your son have a great trip whatever you decide!
Phantom Hunter

According to my personal experience, Alaska is the perfect place for fishing as well as big game hunting. Here you can get a chance to hunt grizzly bear, black bear, and moose.

>I spent a week fishing at
>Doc Warner's camp out of
>Juneau a few years ago.
> Four people to a
>boat and you can fish
>for halibut or salmon at
>you own choice in the
>same general area. It was
>a little bit expensive, but
>a great and memorable experience.
> I wish I could
>afford the time/money to spend
>a week there with all
>my boys.

I've thought about this one for a while now too. I like the way they let you take your own boat out. Thx

>If you want to try offshore
>fishing let me suggest a
>tuna trip out of Venice
>La. We do these
>trips when we don't pull
>an elk tag. About
>$1,600 per man for four
>guys, fishing two days, includes
>our fuel there and back
>plus lodging. We are
>in Abilene Tx. If
>you live further you can
>fly to NO and rent
>car. Mexican Gulf Fishing
>Company has great boats and
>captains. You return to
>port every night. Swordfish
>are also an option.
>They do have a little
>nicer accommodations than we normally
>stay at for only a
>little more money. Good
>luck and I hope you
>and your son have a
>great trip whatever you decide!
>
>Phantom Hunter
Great suggestion Phantom. What's the outfit you go with?

>According to my personal experience, Alaska
>is the perfect place for
>fishing as well as big
>game hunting. Here you can
>get a chance to hunt
>grizzly bear, black bear, and
>moose.

True. Hard to beat Alaska. I'd love to spend more time there.

My thoughts are where ever you are with your son will be great. It is the companionship and the father son relationship that makes any outing great.

My son and I do everything together hunt, fish, pan for gold, golf and we take trips every year to go hunting or fishing together and he is 43 now.

We just got back from a fishing trip up on the coast his two buddies and my best friend were all part of it. What a great time we had the fishing was great, we all got drunk one night and shared time.

Good luck on what you do and make memories that's what it is all about.

Lucky, there are many good captains in Venice. Mexican Gulf Fishing Company has some of the best boats and good captains with good equipment. Super Strike Charters and Eddie Burger are others I have gone with and been well satisfied with the trip. Good luck

Go fish the flats in the Florida Keys for tarpon.
It is the closest thing to big game hunting in the fishing world.
Especially if you sight fish for them.
They are incredible. It will start an addiction for sure.

I just came off an Alaskan coastal black bear and fishing combo....it was over the top awesome and doesn't break the bank.
Highly recommended!

Check out the guide area on this site. We have a couse hunt available for two more at this rancho. One hunt per year on 7,000 acres in Sonora Mexico. Very reasonable Jan 18 - 25th 2020 100% success on couse. we have a father son and two others and could use two more. Father is an observer that hunted with us two years ago and scored a beautiful 4x4. Bringing son this year.

[email protected]

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-19 AT 04:33AM (MST)[p]Depends on what type of hunting we are talking about. If you're concerned about costs, DO NOT TAKE UP DUCK HUNTING. It is very expensive.
For any other type of hunting, you will have some upfront costs and after that, it's "relatively" inexpensive. Fuel and ammo are generally my biggest expenses. It really depends on how much you get sucked into the marketing of new products. I do remember under-the-open-sky.com/best-spinning-reel to be one of the places where I like to go to compare prices on the market or to see a short guide. Most hunting gear is designed to fool hunters just like most fishing lures are designed to catch fishermen. You have to determine if your hunting area has safety orange hunting clothes requirements and that is literally the only clothing you could need to buy. Now you need to decide if you are going spot and stalk or blind/ambush hunting. You can practice hunt in the offseason obviously without a weapon. I swear I only know all this because of my uncle.

So some thoughts on this would be, do it yourself adventures: all these are out the door approximate cost, gas, tags, food, lodging, flights, etc

- Alaska black bear hunt/ fishing on POW island or an island around Ketchikan. $2,500 per
Out the door

- Wyoming antelope hunt draw public or draw privet and pay kill/trespass fee up around Gillett. $1,000 out the door

- Wyoming backcountry fishing trip in the wind rivers. Lakes and streams are over the top awesome. Lots of fish and streams are bigger than most high altitude streams so you can fish them. All backpack! Pretty much if you have the gear $500

- Any road trips to either SD pheasant hunt or Alberta Goose Hunt. Pay to access privet land? I've done it for under $1,500

- Alaska float hunt moose/caribou combo. Charter a transporter, rent a raft, buy the OTC tags and go live in the Arctic for 14 days just the two of you. Out of Fairbanks. $6,000- $7,000 per guy.

These are all great ideas. Thank you! It looks like he may be leaving on a mission right after school gets out, so I'm looking at doing something in June/July before he leaves. Which really limits what I could do.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom