Best Hunt for 5k

grizzmoose

Very Active Member
Im your typical hunter. . . loves to go out, not enough time to hunt, and not a ton of money. Im in my early 30's and have only taken 2 mule deer. I have set a goal to shoot something bigger than the last each time and because of that have not taken a lot of animals. This isnt to say that I have shot any monsters. My best buck is in the 150's.

Anyways, I love all kinds of hunting and am saving some money for a hunt. I dont care too much about the species, though Im not too interested in antelope. I know for this kind of money, Im not likely going to shoot any mule deer over 200, nor a 400 elk. Id surely be limited to N. America. For this kind of money, what species would you recommend and where would you recommend? Im equally interested in black bear, caribou, a lion, a decent elk or mule deer. I would have to assume that any kind of moose is out of the question as well. Anyways, just looking for some ideas. I dont want any high fence thing.

Looking forward to hearing some ideas. If any of you have done a hunt for this price or close to it, post some pictures!!

Get yourself a Coli lo tag or a Nev 231 or the like---you might just see a real cruncher and keep it to 5 k- that would be for a muley!

I did my Alaskan moose hunt for under $4500.00. It was a ten day outfitted hunt by Dean hilde. He fly's you in drops you off and is great at checking in on you to make sure you have food and to get your animal out so you don't have bait for bears in your camp. In 2007 he charged $2,500.00 a piece. With tags and airfare it is under 4500.00. I filled my tag for moose and to send the antlers and processed meat home it only ran me to a total of $5400.00

Sounds like a good deal on the moose hunt. How big a moose did you kill? Did you see a lot of moose on this hunt?

Mike

Don't kid yourself, there are still a lot of great hunts out there for that kind of money. Just, for a moment, put down your copies of all the hunting magazines that profile nothing but these expensive hunts. Turn off the TV. For $5000 there is adventure everywhere to be had. right now you can go to AK and harvest 2 caribou and have the adventure of a lifetime. Cover to cover that hunt wont cost $5000! I have also done 2 moose hunts in AK for far less than that (and had success). Canada right now has some amazing deer and elk hunts for right around that 5000 mark and less if you shoot archery or muzzy in some areas. MT right now has lots of good deer and elk for $5000. Thats a lot of money but plenty to do a hunt you wont forget. Just do your homework!!! Ask for references, maybe even the last 10 hunters names to call. Shoot me a message if you have questions or want any details.

Very true. For 5 grand I would go to Alberta and hunt Whitetails. You may run in to a monster up there, for less than 5 grand.

Alberta does have some good whitetails, but their mule deer run to incredible size and mass. Probably the most under-rated area right now for them. For $5K, I'd go there for muleys and shoot big WT's in the mid-West.

I took a moose and caribou in AK for around $5000. But it also took me two trips to get my moose. If you want to go on a really great adventure, with high success rate, I would strongly recommend an AK caribou hunt.

I'll not dispute anything previous posters have said. I WILL add another thought to the equation.

David Long's book describes backcountry mule deer hunting quite well. Elk hunting would be done similarly. I have hunted much like that for years. I nearly always take deer larger than 150. I certainly don't score all of them, but they are 26"+ wide, 4 points and......mature animals. The outdoors magazines make it seem as if anything less than 200" is not up to snuff but mature deer are there for the taking....and are bought by effort and skill not by money.

My hunts are on public property and on general-season tags. All that is required (simple, yet demanding) is lightweight equipment, a general comfort in the outdoors and effort.

They all cost WAY less than $5,000. For that much, you could buy a new rifle and scope annually....and still do the backcountry hunts.

Some very wise words.
The Alaska DIY hunts can be tremendous.
I say sock away the 5 grand.
Apply yearly for good hunts in states with good bonus point systems.
You are still young, you have time to draw a great tag.
Draw rhat tag, research a bunch more then hunt your ass off.
When you score, the reward of doing it in your own will be priceless.
No one can take that away from you.
I've done big expensive guided hunts.
The DIY hunts that I've shared with others far outweigh the paid for animals.
My two cents.
HH

Newfoundland or Alberta for moose and bear or deer /combo with the moose in Alberta

I'd do a colorado deer hunt with slamdunk. We saw several 180 bucks and missed a few well over 190 (not missed, didn't get a shot opportunity). I took a 188 buck last year on the opener and my father accidentaly shot the wrong buck and got a 160 class. Going back this year so you can see what the results are if you like.

4a9df39b7d637eb0.jpg

silly liberals, paychecks are for workers!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom